User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That Dreaded Belt Squeal is Back!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default That Dreaded Belt Squeal is Back!!!

I took my car to the dealer yesterday to check diagnose a squeal from the belt area when the car is cold. Less than a year ago I had a pulley replaced for the same reason, and less than a year before that I had work done again for the same reason. The first time the car was under warranty, the second time I had pay for the labour as VX stumped up for the part. This time the dealers are saying it's a different pulley thing that is causing the problem and want 170quid + labour to put it right.

The first time I was told it was the Vbelt polly tensioner, the second time they claimed it was the alternator pulley, this time they are saying it is the belt tensioner, all three are apparently completely different parts.

Not being the most mechanical minded I'm not sure if I'm being sold an excuse to pay as the last work I had done was under a year ago and subsequently it is still under warranty. If it is a completely different part I'm going to have to live with the banshee squeal when the car is cold as I can't afford to pay for the work doing at the moment. So would there be anything detrimental to the engine if I didn't have the work carried out??

Sorry for the daft questions but I'm a complete numbty when it comes to the greasy bits.

Regards

Nidge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hmm you've got me thinking now , i also have a squealing when cold its not very loud or getting any worse and it only lasts a minute or so. I wasnt going to do anything about it as i'm going to part ex it next year . Now i'm wondering if it could cause me an expensive repair ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Can you actually hear what pulley the noise is coming from? Does it do it at idle when cold?

It could be worth a drops of oil on each of the pulley shafts where they go into the bearing housings, just to try something for free.

I don't know if it will do any good, but may be worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Steveked: The problem would appear to be common with the 2.0T petrol engines. As to the rammifications of not having it corrected I couldn't say. In my case it started as a relatively quiet sqeal that only lasted a minute or two but has now progressed into something that is quite loud and lasts for longer.

Ste: I'm not the most mechanically minded and I have tried to figure out which pulley the noise is coming from. I have resisted the urge to sprinkle the likes of WD40 as I thought this would be detrimental to the rubber belt. To try and figure out which of the pulleys was the offending part I tried to spray electronic switch cleaner, which has a very light lubricant in it, into the pulley areas but the supplied plastic tube just wasn't long enough without spraying a wider area.

The person who phoned me this morning did appear to be confused as the last job sheet (the one done less than a year ago) had a reference number that didn't match up with anything on their system. My invoice which I have retained also has a code that doesn't match with any of the part numbers associated with the area, this includes the old part numbers and the revised ones:

Part numbers.....
    Modified alternator pulley - 93172295
    Belt (same as before) - 55351458
    Tensioner - 24430296

I'm now waiting for another call from the dealers to see what their investigation of the history of the work carried out reveals.

Thanks for the interest and the tips.

Regards

Nidge.
    Last edited by Nidge; 30th April 2008 at 10:20. Reason: spelling mistake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Get a can of deodorant and hit the belt with it, not the pulley's, this will show if it's a pulley or the belt doing it, if it shuts it up you will have a stretched or oily belt problem, my Skoda does it also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yer i get a slight winge of my pulley/belt when cold, especially on damp mornings. I purchased a can of rubber/nylon lubricant from Ann Summers shop (Halfords actually) and a quick spray of this on running belt keeps it quiet for weeks. I have done this for years on various cars with similar noises when cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply VV. I dare not admit that I don't have a can of deoderant........ just a role-on at the moment

I picked the car up earlier today, they'd done a mod to the handbrake and highlighted that my brakepipes will need replacing (front to rear) at a furher cost of 350Quid. Their diagnosis was that the tensioner needed replacing (this was done two years ago and the car has only done 13,000miles since). Last year they replaced the alternator pulley. Due to financial constraints the tensioner will have to wait, the brake pipes are more important but I will shop around for a possible better price for that job.

Again thanks for the replies.

Regards

Nidge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You posted while I was typing, Wickedwilly. That sounds like a plan for the time being, I think safer than spraying the area with WD40 or similar.

Thanks

Nidge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry for yet another post.

Just been out to have a look to see how accessable the area is and obviously you have to remove the airfilter box to gain better access. This I presume the dealership did and have failed to secure it properly.

Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be some sort of securing bolt at the point shown by the arrow. The airfilter box does seem to move about quite a bit???

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have no bolt on that point on my 2.0T either.

With ref your problem, it sounds like you've had all the bits replaced that you could've regarding this common problem i.e. the tensioner and alternator pulley (modified part) so it's annoying that it's come back again. I think they've told you slight porkies regarding the parts - there are only two parts I'm aware of that would need replaced - the alternator pulley and the belt tensioner. I don't know what they're meaning by the Vbelt polley (pulley?) tensioner - sounds like the same part as the belt tensioner.

I had these parts replaced on mine some time back as I was getting the squealing noise (tensioner), and a judder under load (alternator pulley) so if it's squealing again it's sounding like the tensioner again maybe? There are a few threads on this on the forum, have a search for the keywords 'alternator pulley' and posts by me and a few threads will pop up that may help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information