User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mrs Duncan not home today - needs blood transfusion. UPDATE - Now home :-)

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unhappy Mrs Duncan not home today - needs blood transfusion. (UPDATE - Now home!)

As above really. After the good news of the other day, and fully expecting them both to come home today, we both had the wind knocked out of our sails a bit today - Jane somewhat more than me.

I'd nipped out to put some more money in for the parking and came back to find her in tears in a bit of a state, so I was thinking Transpired that the Doctor had been round in that time with the results of the tests from blood she'd had taken earlier and told her that she needed a transfusion! We knew that her iron levels had been a bit lower than they should've been, but they'd been giving her iron tablets the past couple of days which we thought would have been sorting it out.

I spoke to the Doctor to get the details again and it seems her iron levels weren't just a bit low now, they were dangerously low and were causing a raised heart rate as her heart was working harder to get Oxygen around the body! If it remained like that, or dropped further, we were getting into potential cardiac arrest territory! It also meant increased chance of infection, slower healing of her stitches etc. and also not good for baby as he wouldn't be getting the best nutrients when fed - so it was really our only option. Apparently a normal reading is between 12 and 14, she was barely above 6!

So, they need to give her three units apparently - quite a bit really! - and that'll take about 24 hours apparently to get it all into her. So I have a feeling that they'll keep her in tomorrow night too for observation, given that when I left a bit after 5pm they hadn't yet started getting the blood into her.

One thing that hasn't helped is the complete lack of sleep she's had since Wednesday. The past two nights mostly due to the baby opposite being a constant screamer! Cameron apparently cried a bit last night - for a few hours - but either side of that this other baby was screaming - yet again - so Jane got no sleep. It's one thing when it's your own baby that is causing you a bit of broken sleep, but when it's somebody else's that then causing you to have no sleep at, then it's very frustrating. I know it's not their fault (the other parents) and I'm sure the other Mum is also worn out by it, but at the end of the day it's also impacting seriously on Jane.

So when the midwife that we were also talking to said something about getting rest and sleep, I was able to basically say that she'd had no sleep the past two nights, and flicked my eyes in the direction of the other side of the ward. Given that this baby was screaming at this time too, the midwife clicked immediately and said she'd go off to check something. She came back to say that one of the side rooms they have had been vacated today and would we like to be put on there! "Oh hell yeah" I thought! lol I got the impression that you normally paid to use these rooms as the other midwife said there'd be no charge, so we jumped at the chance! I'd have even paid if I'd had to! So she got moved and is now in her own room, with en suite bathroom/loo and a lot more space, seats etc., and more importantly no other babies in the same room - so she should hopefully get some sleep tonight.

Thankfully her Mum and sister arrived today as planned, so they're staying a bit longer at the hospital (until 7pm) to be with her which let me come home and have a bit of a rest, as I'm also pretty drained - although nowhere remotely near a much as she is. She just wants to come home, and we'd fully expected it to be today, so this was just a bit of a blow for her, and me as well. When I got home, I'm not ashamed to say that it all kinda hit me and got to me a bit and I had a few tears!

I can't wait for them to finally get home - gonna spoil them both rotten for a while, as I'm sure her Mum and sister will as well as they are here for the week.

Sorry for the looong post, but it's sometimes good just to let it all out.

Forgot to say, Cameron got seen by the paediatrician and got the A-okay to go home once Jane's sorted, so that's some good news.

EDIT: Little update today

EDIT: Finally they're home!

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Glad to hear an update, and good to see the NHS doing their stuff for a change. Getting in your own room is a good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

D, she is in the best place. I know how frustrating it seems but if it's what's needed then so be it m8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

It is not uncommon to need a transfusion after giving birth, but I can understand your anxiety, I would be the same. The Hospital will know what they are doing though. But as you said you will be glad when thay are at home. Were you at the birth. It has to be one of the greatest things to see, that is if you have the stomach for it. "OH" You might get pushed to the side lines, with all the attention going to the baby and his mom.But you will have all the time in the world soon though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it wont be long when she is ok and you are at home enjoying the new arrival !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by _ZS_ View Post
    ...and good to see the NHS doing their stuff for a change.
    Oh, they've been superb! All the staff have been fantastic! It's not the people at the sharp-end that have made the NHS what it is in some places, it's the bl**dy Governments and all the managers/bean counters. This maternity unit is likely to close down this year with the next nearest one being 20 miles away, not because it's underused or anything, simply because some bean counter thinks they can save some money with no regard to the people that are going to need it's services and will now have to drive half an hour extra, or more for others, to get to the other place. Absolute disgrace! </rant>
    Quote Originally Posted by Caterman View Post
    D, she is in the best place. I know how frustrating it seems but if it's what's needed then so be it m8
    I know m8, but after the past few days and expecting her to be home today, it's just an unexpected kick in the knackers - more for Jane as she just wants to come home with our son. I know it's for the best, realised that when the Doctor explained it all - still doesn't make it any easier.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

A room makes all the difference mate and at least you know there both being looked after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I need a and there's nobody here to give me one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

We can,t give you a hug, but you know we are all here and thinking you, Don,t forget the sideline bit I mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Jeez, The missus is certainly going through the mill mate.

It makes it all the more special though, when they both come home...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information