I have a 1999 T reg Vectra, 2.0 litre Ecotec engine and am experiencing starting problems.
It starts first time and then dies immediately.
Generally rough running until it warmed up and then fine. This lasted several months. My wife was driving the car and it just died, and as above it would not stay running.
AA came out and found a number of split hoses, main throttle hose with 2" split on the underside and a couple of minor hoses perished as well. Despite repairing all hoses car behaved exactly the same, starts and dies.
AA felt it was an air leak but also the fuel filter seemed to be the original (despite main dealer servicing since new).
I have replaced the main throttle hose between the throttle body and air mas meter and rechecked all the other hoses for splits and leaks and found none, no change. Spoke to Vauxhall and they felt it could be the air idle valve. Replaced this, no change. Also replaced fuel filter, no change.
Gave up and put car in local good garage.
They are also struggling with it on and off for 3 weeks (I'm okay with that as they told me they were very busy).
They have done the following:
1) Checked for air leaks in the hoses and couldn't find any.
2) First diagnostic test suggested low voltage with air idle valve but not a clear result. No clear error codes either.
3) Garage felt it could be the ECU but wanted a second opinion before they sent it off to be checked and repaired if possible.
4) Removed EGR and temporarily blocked inlets to see if it would start but still wouldn't run. Cleaned EGR and replaced and checked operating, no change.
5) Friendly Vauxhall guy also did diagnostic check and showed voltage on idle valve within spec and advised they had never had a ECU fail in that way, and recommended to remove inlet manifold to check for leaks.
6) Inlet gasket seemed okay but very fragile and was replaced.
7) Exhaust manifold gasket replaced as blowing due to broken stud, which all repaired.
After all this it was better as it could now be kept running at 1,500 rpm whereas before it had to be doing 2,500/3,000 rpm. When driven the car pulls fine but just won't idle.
Garage is planning, and I have agreed, to get Vauxhall tech to look at it for an hour to see if they can find anything wrong with their more sophisticated gear.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks and sorry for the long post.