Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default New tyres - dodgy handling

I ordered 2x 225 45 17 eagle f1 gsd3's from camskill (bargain 130 delivered) and took them to ATS to get them fitted and the tracking done. they had to move my rear NCT5s (4.4mm remaining) to the fronts and put the new F1s on the rear. they couldn't put them up front to replace my worn NCTs due to some regulation that states that front tyres must not be wider than rears - didn't know about that one.

anyway, drove down to kent today and to be honest the car feels awful now! really 'floaty' at the front. checked the pressures and they were all over the shop (nice one ATS) so once sorted it felt a little better but still not brilliant. i'd say the car felt more stable with my old NCT5s all round - even the dodgy ones up front with 1.6mm on each tyre.

now... i'm thinking that the F1s at the rear are doing their job better than the NCT5 at the front and somehow upsetting the balance as the NCT5s want to wander. before all NCT5s wandered but now only the front are. does this make sense to anyone or am i on drugs?

i also caught the new fronts (old rear NCTs) slipping a couple of times. i'm putting this down to my theory that they've spent a while at the rear and basically trail along behind the car and don't really experience any real stress from corning or hard excelleration like the fronts do. therefore my theory is that they need a couple of weeks of hard driving to get scrubbed in and provide some real traction.

yes i've had a couple of beers but basically, i'm thinking that i should be replacing the NCTs up front as well otherwise the F1s at the rear aren't actually helping things.

Thoughts?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by djr69uk View Post
    I ordered 2x 225 45 17 eagle f1 gsd3's from camskill (bargain 130 delivered) and took them to ATS to get them fitted and the tracking done. they had to move my rear NCT5s (4.4mm remaining) to the fronts and put the new F1s on the rear. they couldn't put them up front to replace my worn NCTs due to some regulation that states that front tyres must not be wider than rears - didn't know about that one
    I've searched and there is no such regulation, equally there is nothing stopping you having any of the these tyres on any corner

The Eagle F1s have a completely different footprint, which can give a rather strange feeling
    It won't take long to wear down 4mm of tread on the front, so I wouldn't worry about it!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am running the same as you at the moment and I have no problems except with still having the original NCT5 on the front its fun in the wet.
    If your having problems maybe your rear tyres have been fitted wrong as they are directional, this is only a guess and I am probably wrong as ATS should know this.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

Looking at your pic mate you have a SRi, well if its like my SRi and others ive seen the rears will be running quite a bit of camber, transferring them to the front that doesn't have the same camber will mean the car will be running on the outside edge of the tyre as the camber on the rears will have left more tread on the outside, do I make any sense?

Ive run 225/45/17 on the front and 215/50/17 on the rears for 2 MOT's and they've passed both times. Now got 225/45/17 on all 4 corners and to be honest it took a little time to get to them on the rears, far more bangs and crashes than the old stock ones.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

I had my Eagle F1 GSD3's (same size as yours) fitted to the front at my local ATS approx 6 or 7 weeks ago. No quibbles at which end of the car I wanted them put on. Left my NCT5's on the rear.

That aside, you sure you only paid £130 for them as they're still £69.50 each on Camskill's website which makes them nearer the £140 mark.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yep, ATS sold you a line...lying barstewards...

the rules are.. as long as both tyres on the same axle are of the same size and construction then they are perfectly legal... if the two axles differ , then thats fine also.. it's when different size tyres are fitted to the SAME axle that it becomes a no-no...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Also get those NCT 5's of your car! See the below linky for my thread......

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread...ht=quick+heads

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I recently swapped my rears to the fronts to get rid of a wheel wobble problem. Now I have 4mm Dunlop Sp2000 (with the 'asymetrical tread' pattern) and cheapos on the back.

Now the steering feels terrible! It pulls and wanders over any lines on the road, and worse in the wet! If you catch a wheel on the double yellows as you pull away you can feel the steering squirming around.

Can't wait until these are worn out and I can put some other ones on (but not Dunlop, who I normally like)

Are vectras really sensitive to tyre types on the front?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thinking of changing my fronts to 225's but also told by ATS that the wider tyres must go to the back. Looking at Goodyear asymetrics from local tyre dealer £85 +vat. As the overall diameter is less by 1.25 cm (check www.kouki.co.uk) (tyre comrarison site) I was wondering what the visual gap between tyre and arch is like compared to the 215's. Can't afford to change all 4 just yet as the 215's on rear are pretty good. Are 235's too wide as they get the closest to 215's on overall diameter and circumference etc.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenWonder View Post

Are vectras really sensitive to tyre types on the front?
    Normally you would swap your fronts to the back in order to even out the wear.As someone has already mentioned,the Vectra's have a good degree of negative camber at the rear and this would normally wear the insides.The fronts (even when tracked up correctly) tend to wear the outsides.So when you put the rears on the front most of the grip is coming from the outside of the tyre which will have a little more tread than the inside and so you'll get lousy steering until the wear evens out again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information