Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Tuning Box & Trip Computer

For those who have the tuning box's, be aware that contrary to popular beleif, they do effect the accuracy of the Trip Computer.

I have over the last 10 days covered 1000 miles, 500 with the box and 500 without. The reason being is that I have long beleived the trip is effected.

With the box with the trip zeroed, I covered 500 miles and the trip showed 9.5 Gallons used, this equates to 43.2 Litres. I then filled up and put in 54.2 litres. An error of over 2 gallons.

Without the box, I again zeroed the trip, then I covered another 500 miles of similar route to the first, and the trip showed 11.8 Gallons used, I then filled up and put in 53.6 litres.

So I discussed this with a contact who used to work for Bosch and knows about such things, basically the cars mpg on the trip is taken from the fuel used compared with the mileage covered.

So basically the tuning box is intercepting the signal from the ECU and pumping in more fuel, but the trip computer does not see this extra fuel being used and does not display it.

This is not anything against the box's themselves as it is not a performance issue, just a warning to be wary of the Trip when using a box.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can't really get my 'ead around this in as much as how does this effect Average Fuel Consumption?...........since putting a box on my V6 the consumption has improved, well.......has it? On my Renault Laguna I carried out a few tests using a tank of fuel and there was without a shadow of doubt a significant improvement. I once got well over 700 miles to,I think, 64 ltrs of diesel with the box fitted. This equated to approx 53mpg and the computer said 54.something. This was achieved a few times which seemed to support the fact that the boxes have a beneficial effect on fuel use and the computer was telling the truth! Without the box incidentally I rarely if ever achieved more than 47/49mpg, again substantiated by using a tank full and calculator, again the comp' was more or less right.

Duncan.

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Graeme's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not totally related to this topic but a bit. my trip reads o miles range and my wee light is flashing so i fill up. Now max the car has taken is 54 litres yet i thought it was a 63 litre tank?

could i keep driving id so how far would i get?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme
    Not totally related to this topic but a bit. my trip reads o miles range and my wee light is flashing so i fill up. Now max the car has taken is 54 litres yet i thought it was a 63 litre tank?

could i keep driving id so how far would i get?
    Thought it was 61 litres for salon/hatch and 60 litres for estate?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2008

Mileage : 31000

ye guys fuel tank is 61 litres just had a read over my brochure

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We know the box's work by putting in more fuel to match the air in the cylinders, therefore acheiving more power, but the fuel saving is allegedly acheived by being able to get the power with less throttle, hence using less fuel.

On the trip computer, your average MPG is calculated by two other functions, Gallons used and Miles covered.

So as the car is actually using more fuel than the trip can see, it appears to be doing higher mpg.

On the two runs I did, both 500 miles, and pretty much the same amount of fuel was required to fill up again.

But..........with the box the trip stated an average of 54mpg, without the box the trip stated an average of 46mpg. I am now vry doubtfull that the mpg saving is there at all, it just looks like it is due to the trip giving inproper readings.

The extra power and torque is never in doubt as it is clearly proven to have the excellent increase's. This topic was purely to point out the potential errors in the trip.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Point taken, i'll just have to have a go at doing the maths on this car........see what's what, dissapointing if it transpires it doesn't save fuel as I thought i'd satisfied my curiosity to that question with the Renault and it seemed fairly well 'concrete'.....box on = more miles to tank of fuel, box off = less miles to tank of fuel, didn't think it could possibly be coincidence............perhaps it was!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have yet to exactly prove whether the box is givong more mpg, so at this time it is only my theory, but the point about the trip being in accurate seems to be the case.

the other reason for me doubting the mpg increae is that I use about £300-£400 of fuel a month, and in the 6 months I have now had a tning box, I have not seem any decrease in the amount of cash spent of fuel. OK this is not an exact science of course, but 'IF' the trip illustration of increased fuel economy was right, with 15,000 miles covered I would have expected to see a significant saving.

Regarding your Laguna, your better mpg may be 100% right, but different cars act differently.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    I have yet to exactly prove whether the box is givong more mpg, so at this time it is only my theory, but the point about the trip being in accurate seems to be the case.

the other reason for me doubting the mpg increae is that I use about £300-£400 of fuel a month, and in the 6 months I have now had a tning box, I have not seem any decrease in the amount of cash spent of fuel. OK this is not an exact science of course, but 'IF' the trip illustration of increased fuel economy was right, with 15,000 miles covered I would have expected to see a significant saving.

Regarding your Laguna, your better mpg may be 100% right, but different cars act differently.
    Would you say youve spent more or about the same?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information