User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of shopping the Vectra in for a VXR......Astra!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : Z20NET

Year : 04

Default Thinking of shopping the Vectra in for a VXR......Astra!

Hi, thought it would be a good idea to put this in here seeing as you're a knowledgeable lot

I wasn't really looking at changing my car as I've just stepped on to the property ladder, but as it happens one of my new neighbors is the service leader for the local Vauxhall branch, he's done me a lot of favours recently with parts etc.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I'd bumped into him at the North east Vectra-c.com RR meet at V-sport, he was there with another of his mates, had a bit craic and we got onto the subject of an Astra Vxr his dealership had recently sold for apparently stupid low money, I asked why he never called me and he said he never knew I was interested (fair comment I suppose )

So he said he would let me know next time a used one came into stock and he'd sort me out a good deal,so I left it at that.

So I got a text on Wednesday saying his manager had just bought in an '06 plate Astra VXR in Arden Blue with the optional 19's on and asked if I could come down that afternoon to take a look, naturally I obliged and off I went, had just came of the lorry when I got there so was a little grubby (which I didn't mind)

So my pal opened it up for me so I could have a snoop, I love everything about it TBH, if I was to have one new then it would be exactly as that was with the colour and bigger wheels, only thing I could see that bugged me was the mileage which read 36,000 but my mate assured me it was going to be priced "Super cheap"

Checked the service book and it's had 2 services by Vauxhall already so it's up to date but aren't there some major parts due for renewal around 40k

Anyway, had it out for a quick test drive and it feels superb! Pulls hard in all gears, similar delivery to the Vec but wayyyyyy more powerful!, I like the gearbox and it feels pretty firm on corners too

Now we get to the end of the test drive and time for the nitty gritty, sat down with one of the sales guys they'd worked some figures out, this is what he had on the computer...

Price £14,299

Fuel £20.00

24 Months warranty (Manufacturers warranty runs out next March which is when this kicks in) £372.99

Tax £115.50

Admin fee &#163;49.94 (<--Aparrently this is for HPI'ing my car etc.)

Gap insurance &#163;349.00

P/X (my car) &#163;3,250.00 (Apparently book price is only &#163;2,700 for mine)

Incentive offered by dealer &#163;250.00

Balance to finance &#163;11,606,43

Monthly payments (x 60 / 5 years) &#163;260.18 P/Month

TBH I'm not too sure on how good a deal that is, I knew the car had done nearly twice the national average mileage but on the other hand had the optional paint, wheels and retained it's service history, the car was certainly clean enough.

Had a quick look on Parkers and they reckon:

Original Price &#163;18,972

Franchised dealer &#163;14,795

Independant Dealer &#163;14,000

Private Good &#163;13,340

Private poor &#163;11,285

P/X &#163;12,285

Now I know that Parkers says &#163;14,795 but that's for a car with average miles, I know there are other variables too, the fact the car has a couple of options on etc.

I also paid for a valuation by Glass which obviously allowed me to adjust the options and mileage, they said that the car from a franchised dealer should be &#163;14,550, so again, this shows the dealer is selling it for less than the RRP

The other part is this, I need to get rid of my car first

'02 plate Vectra Elite 3.2V6 Saloon, 50,000 miles, FSH, T&T + 19's, Bilstein suspension, Strut brace, K&N, Powerflow exhausts, Irmy grille, door pins, Gearknob, Handbrake cover & pedals, SRi front and rear lights, Big brakes, the list goes on, now I know that as a standard car, Parkers reckon the P/X would be &#163;3,300, in which case the Dealer's P/X offer would be bang on, so do I leave that and trade the car in as standard, then try and re-coup some money off the mods to put towards the VXR?

Or do I try and get top dollar for it on a private sale?

I've since been in contact with my mate at the dealers who have haggled with a few finance companies and got the payment down to &#163;228 a month (x60 months)

So

Looking at it this way, that's saving &#163;32 a month over the previous payment, times that by 60 and that's &#163;1920 saved over the duration of the loan, then there's the extra money they've put on my P/X (&#163;550), then the incentive (&#163;250) so that's &#163;2720 off the total all together, my mate assures me that this wouldn't be available to "Joe public" and that it's been specially put together for me, I've asked him about the price and he says that that's rock bottom and they WILL NOT shift.

So now I'm thinking along the lines of asking them to hold the VXR (probably by means of a deposit), breaking the Vectra back to standard to P/X, selling all of the mods to make more money to put against the VXR and hopefully lower both the repayments and the period of years of which it's borrowed over, the thing is, I'd like to see a few more incentives thrown in before I'd "Sign on the line" I.E some free petrol, tax and a set of VXR mats would be nice

Also, even though the service book is stamped up to date and will be good up to 50,000 miles my mate said he's have it serviced before I took delivery

What do you lot reckon to all this?
    Last edited by Kev_A; 11th April 2008 at 18:23.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i would try and sell your car privately first to see if you get any interest if no joy, put it back to standard and trade it in

arden blue is the main colour for the vxr range with the option of 19" wheels

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : Astra Twin Top

Engine : 1.9cdti

Year : 07

i would stick with what you have personally...........as youve said youve just got on the property ladder.....so unless you have heaps of spare cash...your gonna need money for the house ,and think of all the goodies you can get in the back of the veccy compared to the astra.....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

VXR astras are depreciating very quickly, as you have found out, one thing to look at is your car won`t lose much in the next couple of years, the astra will .... That said, if I didn`t need 4 doors I would have an astra vxr tomorrow, IMO it is a lot better than the vec vxr, a true drivers car, I really mss my one, best car I have ever owned ...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have the same problem Kev.

Popped down to my old dealership in Swansea whilst down there with work and they have an 06 plate Arden Blue Astra VXR in their Network Q with 18,000 on the clock for £15,500. Gave it a going over and all straight, all panels the same colour so it's not had paint. Only fault i could find was 3 small stone chips on the bonnet. Can't remember if it had the 19's but as they knocked off a grand when i bought my Vec, i'm certain they'll do the same.

My only fear when buying a second hand performance car is, Has it been thrashed?

I'm off down there next weekend to sort out my wedding venue for next year and i'll have my Vec with me so i'll pop in just to see what they can do for me. Lets hope that they send out some young YTS sales monkey who knows naff all about cars and prices mine up as a genuine VXR!!!!!

'Sorry but that's the price he offered me!!!!!!!!' Ching, Ching!

Snowman, you got your ears on?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Bainie View Post
    VXR astras are depreciating very quickly, as you have found out, one thing to look at is your car won`t lose much in the next couple of years, the astra will .... That said, if I didn`t need 4 doors I would have an astra vxr tomorrow, IMO it is a lot better than the vec vxr, a true drivers car, I really mss my one, best car I have ever owned ...
    That's exactly what a couple of the fitters said. For what's under the bonnet of the Vec VXR, it's not that impressive. Obviously, once you've fettled about then it's happy days.

They did say that the Astra VXR's were brilliant. And the Corsa VXR's, well, they said they are just mental!

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I wouldn`t think you would find an astra vxr which has not had a bit of a thrashing, but that is what they are made for *lol* There was one on autotrader last week for under 12 k and it was fully loaded, leather, sat nav etc etc ... a lot of car for the cash ..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Kin ell!!

Hmm, will have to do some serious thinking.

I know you pay a bit more at main dealers but it's piece of mind with all the warranty's should something go wrong.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

IMO kev for what it's worth ...... if you are going to get the astra do you really need the GAP insurance.....job security and such the like???? the other thing is i got the siggy from shiremoor and they tried to get me to sign up for an hp contract which gives you no fall back....however if you get a finance agreement, if in a couple of year you don't like/ not got as much funds as you like......you can hand the car back legally on whats called halves and thirds....cancel the GAP and it's more of a saving or hang on for a few more months and wait til another one pops up and cheaper at that. just my opinion. Andy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information