Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default ADVICE Please - Z19DTH Inlet Manifold

1.9 CDTi with DPF 2004 54 plate
    Run only on V power diesel and oil/filter changed every 6 months with air filter.Do 8k ish a year.

Right,as is well documented on here there are problems with inlet manifold swirl actuator and EGR valve.Some having total failures of the system others with part failures.

I have always moaned at the lack of oommph at low revs.It is well documented at the lag on the CDTi.Some days mine is fine and others it`s very poor on the acceleration front upto 2000 revs.But after doing some reading on here it was suggested that it may well be to do with the swirl valves.
    So I looked at where the swirl valve actuator rod is - mine is still attached - however the amount of oily gunk was amazing.In fact there is liquid there!Gunk is on the 2nd from left swirl valve and loads on the 4th from the left swirl valve.i have no fault lights when driving or at start up.
    I am guessing that my swirl valve seals are on their way out or have gone.
    So I for see a bill of around £800 on the horizon for new inlet manifold with new EGR valve and new electric drive module - this moves the rod attached to the flaps.

So I know that VXL can diagnose the faults if you find the right dealer.

BUT can I carry on driving the car without causing any damage to the rest of the engine - granted the inlet manifold will be goosed - and mpg might be a little lower than normal (but anything past 220 to the tank on my previous v6 is better than a kick in the nads)until it fails completely or I get rich,(hah ha ha).then get it replaced.

Trying to drive away thoughts of getting rid of it as I own it out right and would be plain stupid to get rid of it-tell me I`m right please.What I`d spend on a new car I can get this fixed.
    And how come everything comes in 3`s
    New boiler last month,new microwave this month and now this
    Last edited by installer; 10th April 2008 at 11:10.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It never rains but it pours You just think you have paid out on all when something else pops along !!!

As for the Manifold.

The Gunky Liquid around the swirls is that fact that they are worn & able to lift out of their seating. This in turn means they will leak boost & inturn also introduce un-metered air into the engine, (They may also jam/stick at some point throwing a Cel & Limp mode) This will give you as stated More varied performance, Good one minute (Swirls sealing) Not so good the other (Swirls not sealing/seating Etc).

All the parts required for the Swirl & Manifold replacement can be acquirred for about £380, You could then get a good independant garage to fit them for you (3 to 4hrs work).
    Its worth noting, If the timing belt & tensioners have never been changed, This is the time to do it, Combine the jobs Etc .

You are not really doing your car any real harm, It will just continue to get worse & you will see an increase in soot/gunk build up. It will of course not perform as it should in this state..

Cheers

Dean

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DeanF View Post
    It never rains but it pours You just think you have paid out on all when something else pops along !!!

As for the Manifold.

The Gunky Liquid around the swirls is that fact that they are worn & able to lift out of their seating. This in turn means they will leak boost & inturn also introduce un-metered air into the engine, (They may also jam/stick at some point throwing a Cel & Limp mode) This will give you as stated More varied performance, Good one minute (Swirls sealing) Not so good the other (Swirls not sealing/seating Etc).

All the parts required for the Swirl & Manifold replacement can be acquirred for about £380, You could then get a good independant garage to fit them for you (3 to 4hrs work).
    Its worth noting, If the timing belt & tensioners have never been changed, This is the time to do it, Combine the jobs Etc .

You are not really doing your car any real harm, It will just continue to get worse & you will see an increase in soot/gunk build up. It will of course not perform as it should in this state..

Cheers

Dean
    A good independant thats done one before I think is like finding rocking horse poo.

AND the fault light is on now

now ****** useless piece of **** of a car

go and find £1000 for it now

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by installer View Post
    A good independant thats done one before I think is like finding rocking horse poo.

AND the fault light is on now

now ****** useless piece of **** of a car

go and find £1000 for it now
    You don't need one that has previously done one, Just a Good/reliable garage.
    Dean

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My brothers 1.9 CDTi 150 (Which I had from new) suffered from this a few weeks ago, it has 78000 miles on it and it was it's first major fault.

As it looks like the manifold will have to be replaced eventually, we used Tech 2 to remotely open and close the flap several times to free it up and see how it goes, so far it has been fine again but we know it is only a short term fix!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had the code read today and it was ...............

p0400 egr valve

so thats on order who knows when it will arrive judging by threads on here about it.
    nothing mentioned about inlet manifold etc and due to finances at the moment I`m not going to push them on it.
    We`ll see how it goes after fitting that.
    I`ll start saving for the inlet manifold etc cos from what I`ve read on here I think at some stage it`ll want doing.

On a seperate note I know I can fit the EGR valve myself BUT the dealer said that it would to be reprogrammed on tech 2,is this true?
    Cos if it needs tech 2 for it that I`m stuffed.Also would the new style EGR valves need reprogramming unlike the old style?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Top guide on cleaning the Egr here
    http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=45867

Dean

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

have taken some pics of my oily messy manifold and rod http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45975

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

Default egr

take your egr valve off your self its easy strip+clean(it comes in halve) DONT forget to clean the the hole on the head to where it fits its usually blocked re-fit and enjoy the power again!! bung some fuel /injector cleaner in for good measure..+plenty of right foot for a good blast out.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So are we saying clean your EGR valve rather than a new style one?Or is this a temp fix?And you still should have a new style one?
    Having a new style one is a waste of money as it`ll go the same way as the old style one?

Thread Information