0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Cry02 Cryogenic Air Intake!

Any body got thoughts on the below, thinking of getting a kit.

The Cry02 air intake consists of an aerodynamically designed bulb with a cryogenic chamber which is mounted in a 4" segment of air tube. As the air passes over the bulb, heat is removed from the air charge resulting in a colder, denser, more powerful charge. Dyno testing showed a reduction in intake air temperature of more than 35%. The Cry02 air intake can be used on turbocharged, supercharged or naturally aspirated applications. Multiple units can be used for colder results. Installs in minutes and comes with silicone connection sleeve, hose clamps and connection/vent hose. The CryO2 is a revolutionary award winning product designed to reduce the temperature of the air/fuel intake charge thus creating power. Through the science of aerodynamics and cryogenics, Design Engineering has developed a system to harness the cryogenic properties of liquid Carbon Dioxide to lower the air/fuel intake charge by up to 60%. The system is modular and can be easily expanded. The CryO2 system provides two methods of cooling the air charge and one method of cooling the fuel charge all utilising the same burst of liquid CO2. CO2 is normally available at any welding supply shop or where paintball guns are charged. Please ensure you are able to obtain the CO2 locally before purchasing. Available with either a 3" OD intake or a 2.5" OD intake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, they do go on about it a bit don't they. It gets cold and cools the air. That would have saved them a lot of time.

I looked at this and even made one myself but the results were not so impressive, as in I didn't see any change. I did probe my insurance company about this and they were happy for me to add it. You need to get a CO2 bottle and lines as well though and you'll have to refill the bottle which all adds up to agro. I actually made an intercooler sprayer which pumped alcohol onto it for cooling and that showed about 3bhp in the summer but the fumes nearly killed me...

For the sort of gains you'll get, the cost of the system and CO2 and the hassle of refilling... I can't see the worth, the NOS might be expensive and it doesn't last long but you know when it's on!

If it's heavily tuned and you're still looking for more then yes, it could make a different in theory, combined with an intercooler sprayer to vent the CO2 afterwards you might see the difference between a hot day and a cold one.

So yes I looked, I even tried but threw it in the pile with other things I have tried (big pile now).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can i raid you pile?! ha ha

The CO2 and pipeing isnt an issue my business is fire suppression so we have bottles every where so to speak and we also have red flexible pipe thats rated to 3000psi.

Just new you would have tried something along thses lines the kit with an empty bottle is £176.

Just pm'd you is that worth doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mushy2007 View Post
    Dyno testing showed a reduction in intake air temperature of more than 35%........
    ....Design Engineering has developed a system to harness the cryogenic properties of liquid Carbon Dioxide to lower the air/fuel intake charge by up to 60%.
    What exactly are they meaning by 'lowering the air/fuel intake charge'?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically when you discharge C02 it can produce temperatures on metal of up to -65c, so this kit works buy firing C02 into a chamber that the air flows over and then hopefully cools it.

I think they mean they lower the fuel temp via the reduction in air temp

Is that what you meant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the principle of how it works, that's not what I was asking.

I understand the bit about lowering the intake temp by the (claimed) 35%. It was exactly what they meant by the bit "lowering the air/fuel intake charge' by 65%.

Are they meaning that the air/fuel mixture is 65% lower in density? It'd actually be increased density if the air was being cooled - so I didn't understand the lowering bit.
    I couldn't see it as being a drop in 65% of the temp of the air/fuel mixture from normal - how could that be if the air intake temp has only dropped 35%?

Hence my confusion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh sorry.

Yeah that sort of confused me too, thats why i put the post up to see if any one had used it or looked into getting one.

I think they mean lowering the air temp and fuel temp then mixing in the chamber, need more info i think.

I will give them a call tommorow and see if i can get some info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the CO2 changes from expands, it draws in energy from its surroundings to increase it's own energy level (it heats). The CO2 is pumped down the small line to the chamber where is is allowed to expand raipidly resulting in the bulb being super cooled. The intake air flows over the bulb and passes it's energy (heat is technically a process now a form of energy) through the bulb to the expanding CO2.

They also have a smaller device for cooling fuel as well I believe. The end result is obviously denser air with more oxygen in it to burn. The system needs to be setup after the turbo to have any chance of making real gains. It is usual as I said to have an intercooler sprayer in series after the bulb to vent the gas and cool the intercooler beyond atmospheric temperatures.

Obviously an intercooler can not cool the air within it to any less than the temperature of it's surroundings. This is going to be less than the hot air coming out of the turbo but in the summer it's just not as good as it could be. By using a FMIC you can get better cooling than the sandwiched one and by using spraying methods you can get even cooler still (water/alcohol/CO2/NOS).

My too intercoolers keep the temps down enough to make the pipe going to the inlet manifold cool when on the move and the water/methanol helps with cooling too. I think I might be babbling now but basically to more you tune it up, the hotter it will get and the more benefit you get from better intake charge cooling (charge just meaning the gas you are feeding the engine).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes they mean the temp of the intake/fuel charge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I understand all the principle and theory Karl - beginning to repeat myself here! It was the specific quote of 'lowering the air/fuel intake charge by 65%' that wasn't making sense....
    Quote Originally Posted by nutron View Post
    They also have a smaller device for cooling fuel as well I believe.
    ...but given that, if that's what it also does, then it does make sense. I just couldn't understand how they could say the air/fuel charge (i.e. mixture) was lowered by 65% when the air temp was only being lowered by 35%. Reading the original blurb again, it did mention about cooling the fuel charge as well, which I'd originally missed, so that answers my question.

D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information