Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Another DPF Removal Thought !!!

I Don't like Dpf's

I did post about removing the Dpf Here. http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread...ghlight=remove

Now i know about the ethics/moral issues of Dpf removal & the M.o.t side ( But this is not tested explicitely, Only a Smoke test)

So lets keep the Dpf Cannister but Gut it & remove the Internals/core

The Dpf regenerates when the controller sense's a build up in back pressure (Soot particles blocking the Core) So no Core, No back pressure, No Dpf Regen ever, No Errors, More power

Shall i continue

The Dpf & Centre cat are all in the Centre Box (As such) So it may be difficult to just remove the Dpf & easier to remove/gut both, Leaving the one Cat in the Down Pipe ...!

Thoughts Please

Cheers

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

I don't condone removal of catalysts on moral / ethical grounds. They are there for a reason, ie to reduce pollution.

If you MUST do it, a few words of warning. Any dust that is generated in the rodding out process is hazardous, so wear effective protection. Disposal of the bits shouldn't be in your household rubbish either !

I also wonder if there is a 'catalyst presence' algorithm in the ECU to detect this exact abuse. I do know that when I was at Cummins, there was such an electronic check to verify catalyst presence embedded within the engine ECM. If there is, you will get the spanner light on and limited operation strategy will kick in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    I also wonder if there is a 'catalyst presence' algorithm in the ECU to detect this exact abuse. I do know that when I was at Cummins, there was such an electronic check to verify catalyst presence embedded within the engine ECM. If there is, you will get the spanner light on and limited operation strategy will kick in.
    Hmm. I did wonder if there was such a process with the Dpf equipped Ecu's also.
    The Guts would be disposed of properly & thanks for the Hazardous Tip

Whats really needed is a Dpf unit of a Scraper/write off, Gut it, then fit it & see what occurs, If the Sh!t hits the Ecu, it can be swapped back !!!

Anybody have a Dpf Unit in there garage ??

Cheers

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a

Engine : Dirty diesel

Year : 2006

i have a mate in vx part's dept at one of my local dealer's and last month he told me they replaced 8 DPF unit's, was told by the service manager that vx are considering loosing them altogether as over a grand to replace under warranty.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ditchp View Post
    i have a mate in vx part's dept at one of my local dealer's and last month he told me they replaced 8 DPF unit's, was told by the service manager that vx are considering loosing them altogether as over a grand to replace under warranty.......
    Now.
    Even better, A ****ed Dpf would be perfect, Any chance you could get hold of One ??

Cheers

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have one and dont like it, but removing it could cause as Ste said lots of other problems.

Most cars will have these on and will become as the CAT did to petrols common use.

Dont forget those ****ers cost a lot to replace if you try this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

On a diesel there are no toxins coming out of the exhaust so it's just extra soot and there would still be one CAT the way suggested. I did the revers, removed the down pipe CAT and left the centre one but I never had a DPF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Quote Originally Posted by nutron View Post
    On a diesel there are no toxins coming out of the exhaust so it's just extra soot and there would still be one CAT the way suggested. I did the revers, removed the down pipe CAT and left the centre one but I never had a DPF.

Sorry matey, but you are completely wrong with that.

You would be amazed at what actually gets emitted out the back. The cat and filter will remove such things as formaldehyde, unburnt hydrocarbons, ash, any CO, and a whole host of other toxins as well as soot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

To date, most of the diesel emission reduction efforts have focused on post combustion emission controls that are primarily designed to reduce PM emissions. Post combustion emission controls involve either new engine replacements or retrofitting existing engines with equipment. Diesel oxidation catalysts and diesel particulate filters are the primary pollution control technologies used for this type of emission control.
    Diesel oxidation catalysts (DOCs) have been in use for more than 20 years in more than 270,000 retrofit applications. They are relatively inexpensive and are robust enough to be used in many non-road applications such as construction and mining equipment. They are not overly sensitive to fuel sulphur content and can achieve PM reductions of 25 percent or more.
    Diesel particulate filters (DPFs) also offer retrofit opportunities. However, because these devices require specific engine conditions to operate effectively they cannot be used in some applications. DPFs work best with newer engines that achieve higher sustained engine exhaust temperatures. DPFs also require the use of ultra-low sulphur diesel. Although DPFs cost two to three times more than oxidation catalysts, the use of DPFs combined with low sulphur diesel fuel have been found to reduce diesel particles and particle-bound toxics from diesel exhaust by up to 90 percent.
    Major diesel engine manufacturers such as Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit Diesel and International Truck and Engine have adopted diesel particulate filters as the preferred strategy/technology for PM reduction in new engines, but there is no consensus on NOx control technologies. Some of the most practical and cost-effective approaches to lower NOx emissions from diesel engines are in-cylinder techniques such as a high-rate of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), NOx Absorber's, and exhaust system technologies such as Non-thermal Plasma and the Urea- Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) NOx reduction system, which was adopted in the European Union starting in 2005. Many of these technologies are still in the development stages.

To round this up the DPF work's best with Ultra low sulphur diesel. So try and use the quality stuff not the Asda or Tesco gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

DPF's seem to be a pain in the butt don't they. Those and EGR's.
    The easier and more expensive solution would be for the manufacturers to remove the sh&t in the exhaust emissions another way.
    I often wonder if we'll be scrapping cars in a few years because of these problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information