User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 04 Vectra 2.2 SRi Direct - Serious Engine Problem - No Compression?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 04 Vectra 2.2 SRi Direct - Serious Engine Problem - No Compression?

I don't often post on here but often 'lurk' around in the background. Hope someone can possibly help me out. Sorry in advance for the long post but want to cover the full background adequately.

My wife has an 04 Vectra 2.2 SRi Direct, it has covered 65k miles & has FVSH (we have covered 15k miles since getting it nearly 10 months ago). It had the timing chains replaced approx. 5k miles ago as a precaution due to a light tapping noise on cold start up (usually lasted for about 5 seconds).

Anyway.....my wife went to work last night, car driving fine (12 miles on the motorway). Later she set-off back home, again car running fine for first 6 miles. As she accelerated from an interchange onto another motorway EML came on and the car started misfiring. She managed to limp it home slowly.

When she got home I listened and the car was definitely only running on 3 cylinders. Fortunately my father has his own garage and came over today to take a look. His first worry was that the valve timing had slipped (due to the previous timing chain swap 5k miles previous). As he did not have his scanner with him to check the fault code(s), he removed the plugs and immediately noted cylinder 2's was 'wet' (non of the others were). He then proceeded to do a compression test on each cylinder. Cylinders 1, 3 & 4 were perfect. However, Cylinder 2 was virtually 0 - He has therefore taken the car away and will proceed to strip it to find the problem.

No compression usually results from burnt out valve (s) or melted piston(s) doesn't it? Am I right? What could have caused this to have come on so abruptly? Is this common on these engines?

The car has been running very well - I only drove it yesterday morning with none of these problems. Only minor issues I have ever really noted with it are that the tickover does tend to be ever so slightly on the 'low' side i.e. it would be smoother if slightly higher, although not a problem (not sure if this is inherent in the design). Also, the car sometimes feels a little 'flat' - but does not misfire - between 3500 - 4500rpm but picks up better before & afterwards (this is more notable on warmer days). Neither of these have ever seemed to be serious. The engine has also always sounded a little 'tinny' on tickover (again not sure if this is inherent in the design).

Any thoughts / comments? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Palmo; 2nd April 2008 at 11:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early indications are looking like the Valve Timing may have slipped (presumably due to something not being tightened up correctly when the chains were replaced 5k miles ago) causing the valves in Cylinder 2 to become bent! The engine isn't fully stripped yet but it isn't looking good!

Also, it appears the ECU Fault Codes can't be read by a 'Snap On Scanner' on this particular car for some reason? Certainly won't access the ECU to allow this to happen despite having all the correct adaptors / cartridges (or whatever they are called).

This is going to end up costing a lot of money I think.....One minute running great and the next this (with no warning). The really annoying thing is that I only had the chains replaced as a precaution to prevent this very thing from happening in the first place. Wish my dad had replaced the chains now himself (was done by a Vauxhall Technician instead).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Won't you have some comeback with the garage that did the chain?, especially if they haven't tightened something up? I suppose it's proving it that's the difficult bit.

Thread Information