Thread: Speed Camera Van???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Speed Camera Van???

Ths is probably one for you boys in blue! I was driving down the A38 in Birmingham tonight and through a patch of speed cameras. A car pulled out of a side road so I changed lanes and sped up a bit to overtake as I knew the cameras were out of range.

However, I suddenly noticed a white UNMARKED high backed transit sat on the side of the road between the cameras that had probably got a good glimpse of me overtaking this guy slightly over the speed limit. The rear windows were blacked out and the two top rear windows were open with what looked like cameras facing the carriageway.

I'm concerned because I think I'll be over the speed limit for the area but also not 100% sure it was a speed camera van as I thought these things had to be marked up so you can see what they are?? This had no markings on the back of it at all!

Can someone please advise and hopefully put my mind at rest? I only accelerated to overtake this guy that pulled out in front of me, so I'll be annoyed if I got snapped over the limit!

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds like it was an ANPR van - and they don't deal with, or record, speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Sounds like it was an ANPR van - and they don't deal with, or record, speed.
    I agree, fits the profile of an ANPR van.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

as above....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ditto ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

OK thanks guys. I've just done a search for ANPR vans and found one that looks exactly like it. So I'm not concerned now.

Cheers again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 2.0 Ltr Turbo

Year : 2004

Mileage : 38000

Thumbs up

I am not sure of the law down south regarding marked police vans/cars but i know they use unmarked vans north of the border as for the 2 cameras one would be checking your reg to see if you are insured/taxed and MOT,D and the other would be checking your speed, they can only track one car at a time but tend to focus on outside lane, if like you say you were only just over the speed limit you should be ok as they allow a 10% margin so if you were under 77 mph you should not here anything, i know its frustrating as i have had similar happen to me, i was flashed by speed camera when i was doing 5 mph below speed limit and met up with this white van with cameras hanging out the back 10 mins later but i always use the cruise contol on motorways set at 73 mph, but you always have that uneasy feeling , if you dont here anything within a week you should be ok
    good luck Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by signumboy View Post
    I am not sure of the law down south regarding marked police vans/cars but i know they use unmarked vans north of the border as for the 2 cameras one would be checking your reg to see if you are insured/taxed and MOT,D and the other would be checking your speed, they can only track one car at a time but tend to focus on outside if like you say you were only just over the speed limit you should be ok as they allow a 10% margin so if you were under 77 mph you should not here anything. if you dont here anything within a week you should be ok
    If it was an ANPR van then that will be all it is doing, not speed enforcement as well, they dont do both!
    An ANPR camera doen't need to track a car, it reads the plate in an instant as the car pases through the cameras field of vision.
    And the time limit for a Notice Of Intended Prosecution is 14 days not 7!
    Not picking holes, but there is a lot of urban myth about camera vans/ANPR etc etc.

As a general rule of thumb Safety Camera Vans are marked up, and are not covert or unmarked. If they are marked up then this allows the operating police force, usually working in partnership with the local authority, to use the money from the fines (called hypothication), instead of it all going into the governments coffers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    If it was an ANPR van then that will be all it is doing, not speed enforcement as well, they dont do both!
    An ANPR camera doen't need to track a car, it reads the plate in an instant as the car pases through the cameras field of vision.
    And the time limit for a Notice Of Intended Prosecution is 14 days not 7!
    Not picking holes, but there is a lot of urban myth about camera vans/ANPR etc etc.

As a general rule of thumb Safety Camera Vans are marked up, and are not covert or unmarked. If they are marked up then this allows the operating police force, usually working in partnership with the local authority, to use the money from the fines (called hypothication instead of it all going into the governments coffers!
    Ah! ad admission that some of the money is used as a revenue raiser then,probabley used to top up civil servants pensions is a thought,?how about using the money raised to provide more traffic police , sorry for the mini rant,but this tends to get my goat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by macdad View Post
    Ah! ad admission that some of the money is used as a revenue raiser then,probabley used to top up civil servants pensions is a thought,?how about using the money raised to provide more traffic police , sorry for the mini rant,but this tends to get my goat.
    Money raised from fines from safety camera units/speed cameras etc. can be used by the police force operating the cameras for road safety etc.
    In effect the camera units pay for themselves. There are lots of rules and regs that have to be met in order for the forces to, in effect, keep the money, but tht is one of the ways the money is used.

And before you ask I do NOT work on a camera unit.

I am one of those VERY rare police traffic officers, and I think your idea of the money being used to pay for more traffic police is a great idea. I would LOVE to see more of us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information