Thread: How does the Vectra Compare?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default How does the Vectra Compare?

What cars are comparative to the Vectra's we all own. Take a typical owner on here, who buys a Star silver Sri (2.2 or 1.9cdti... Doesn’t matter which, Both equal member numbers), approx 10months to 1 year old for around £12K. Obviously theres members either side of this (not forgetting the signums) but the above seems the average.

What cars are on the market for approx the same value, spec and age and how do you think the vectra compares to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When we where looking for ours we had a choice between a met black Modeo Zetec S estate with leather etc or a new met black Meganne estate top spec or a flame red SRI.

In the end we went for the SRI as it had a good spec and it was available when we where looking. I think in the majority of cases when buying second hand it is what is available at the time of looking. Buying new is slightly different.

Andy

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I looked at a few cars at the time of buying, a focus ST170 being the close 2nd, and an Astra GSi Turbo, both cars handled better and were a lot quicker, but the insides weren`t finished to the same standard and a Dalmation would be a bit cramped in the boot. The focus was also a year older ...The focus got my vote, the Astra the wife`s and the vectra was a compromise, which it feels like as well, it is good at everything, but doesn`t really excel in any area ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Test drove a MB C 200 Kompressor before i bought the Vectra, and i cant say anything on the MB that beats the Vectra! ... Was very dissapointed with the MB. All the good words its got in press ... so you would expect it to be better ... but no .... no MB for me !!

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was looking for a Mondeo Zetec S TDCi 155 when my mate at the Vauxhall garage told me about the discount he had got for me. No contest then.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

But I've seen the light now!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You can get a fully loaded Volvo S60 D5 with reasonable high miles for about the same. Far superior for comfort and quality and lots of electric goodies, although not as quick as the 1.9 CDTi and not as sporty looking.

Hey what do I know, i'm biast, now where's my pipe and slippers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBird
    You can get a fully loaded Volvo S60 D5 with reasonable high miles for about the same. Far superior for comfort and quality and lots of electric goodies
    Dont agree that the comfort and quality should be any better in the Volvo !!
    A friend who works at Volvo headquarters in Gothenburg as a tech always comments bout the lack of quality in the cars.

I wouldnt swop the Vectra for a S60.

When i was looking for a new car i sat in a S60R, and the interior look & feel
    was a joke if you match it with the price of the car.
    Last edited by TechWolf; 12th January 2006 at 17:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Comparing the S60 SE against the Veccy 1.9 CDTi, I would say the Volvo was better (even the C70 I would say was better in terms of comfort (I am a tall person and find the veccy seats a little cramped). It all depends what interior the car is built with as there are so many different options (the heated seats win in my mind) However, I know from personal experience of travelling in some other Volvo's that the quality is not as good as it could be, in fact quite poor, for instance in the standard V40 it was quite pants, I spent 2 full days travelling around Germany in one of these and it just give me back ache and my legs rubbed too much on the center console etc..., I can understand why your friend stated such things for sure. Anyway, this is all my personal taste, based upon my build and comfort I desire. If the veccy seats were a little longer on the seating bit for more leg support, they would be much more comfortable than they are, and they are comfortable as it is.

Regarding S60R, I wouldnt touch it myself with a barge pole purely on the fuel running costs, and the price tag that goes with it... although a helluva engine it it which is quite tunable to give very good results.

But of course you would choose the Veccy, that's why you bought one :-) there are many other things which are better on the veccy than the S60 for sure, plus vice versa.
    Last edited by BlackBird; 12th January 2006 at 17:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As a curiousity thing, I did look at prices for the S80 but the only ones I could find for £12k were ex company cars with 80K miles. Seemed very well specced though, most with full leather. I really like the look of the new shape s60's though. Didn’t realsie they might be in my price band.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information