Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry Some idiot drove into me

Calmed down enough to discuss this without shouting so thought I'd complain to you lot and get it out of my system.

Thursday just gone I drove into a small shopping square near me. Marked parking bays all round and down the middle. It was pretty full as usual so got stuck behind a queue of people all waiting for spaces to come clear. Nothing had moved for ages then suddenly a car reverses out of a parking space and hits the back of my car.

I got out and, to my shame, I lost my rag with the driver, swearing and calling him a few choice names. not as bad as it could have been since what I really wanted to do was punch him...

Well basically he admits liability and apologises so I get his details and arrange to call him later. By this time the woman in the car behind me is going mental because I've delayed her a couple of minutes extra and the cars in front of me have cleared so I move on. Didn't get chance to get any witnesses but didn't worry too much coz he's admitted liability.

I went and got a quote from the dealer - £309 for a few scratches to my bumper!!!

So I ring him later and ask does he want to claim through his insurance or pay himself. He thanks me and says he'll claim through his insurance and will ring me back with the details.

Short time later he sends me a text - he's spoken to his uncle the solicitor and has decided that since we're equally to blame we will just pay our own repair costs and forget about it. I text back telling him not to try it on since he drove into a stationary car. He then tells me that I REVERSED INTO HIM!

Didn't trust myself to speak to him again without losing my temper so I told him we'd leave it to the solicitors.

Trouble is, now he's chosen to lie about it, having realised that it's my word against his, there seems little point in even trying to make a claim. Went back and checked the square but no CCTV there so that option is out.

I did consider calling at the address he gave me, assuming it's genuine, and seeing if he would still lie to my face but couldn't envisage any chance of it ending without me losing my temper and calling him a lying ****.

Anyway I've decided that I'll just accept that he's got one over on me this time. Not worth the trouble it's going to give my blood pressure for the sake of a few tiny scratches on my bumper that can't really be seen from any distance. Still annoying but for the sake of my health I can live with it.

Alternatively I could leave it a while and go round and smash all his windows and set fire to his dog. Only joking

The moral is - if you're driving near Warrington and a blue Corsa drives into you, for God's sake get some independent witnesses.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Steve
    Sorry to hear about your trouble m8 also glad there's not to much damage.

I was told by my ins company it does not matter who admits liability as the chance's are they will change there mind once they leave it pay's to have a cheap camera in the car ..........saying that I don't lol

Paul

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

Sorry to hear this happened mate Some female driver did the same to me. Pulled out on me from a side road and battered my wing in (she'd only passed her test the day previous), admitted liability and everything yet when it came to insurance time she was saying it was my fault. I would be absolutely livid if someone did it to my Vectra.

To aid your insurance claim go down there with a camera and take some photos as this will aid your insurance company to see more clearly what happened. It does help, it helped me from them saying it was my fault to a 50/50 to them paying for it all!.

Good luck mate,

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sorry to hear this Ste , if it makes you feel any better i over shot my drive last week and hit the side of the house putting a slight crease in my front bumper , arrrrrrrrrggghhh, will watch out though as we do shop regularly in warrington , i normallly park under argos (c0ckhedge area)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Really doesn't seem worth putting in a claim at all. For the amount of damage I'd rather put it behind me and move on. Lost most of a night's sleep already through letting him wind me up on the night.

tbh I've put a deeper scratch in the bumper myself getting something out of the boot a few weeks ago .

If you saw the amount of damage you'd wonder how it could cost more than a fiver to fix it anyway but, as the guy explained, they have to take the bumper off to spray it. The labour cost alone is £160 plus VAT.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to hear the news Steve, annoying when somebody changes their story to something not quite the truth. I was just reading this out to my wife and she made a good point, and maybe something to make you think it's worth pursuing further?

If he reversed into the back of you whilst reversing out of a space, then why the hell would you (according to the other guy) have been reversing and therefore been 'your fault'. You simply wouldn't have been making that manoeuvre.

Why not take some good pics of the damage and draw a plan sketch of the scene to show exactly what was where and what the guy did. Doing that may show that there was no way you'd have been reversing - plus the damage on your car may, if it's clear enough, show that is was caused by a moving car hitting you.

Once you put it all down into a well-presented sketch with the description, his insurers may then see that what he's saying may not quite be the full facts of the matter. Obviously give the info to your insurers as well so that they are the ones doing the 'arguing' with his insurers.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trouble is it's not impossible, he was last one in the row of parked cars. Not actually in a bay, he'd made another parking space at the end. I was stopped on the corner almost past the back of his car. He is claiming I reversed to let someone else out as he reversed from where he was. Doesn't sound unreasonable, just that it didn't happen that way.
    The odd thing is, since I'd been stopped there for well over a minute, presumably I was stopped there as he got back into his car so he should have known I was there, unless he'd been sat there in his car for ages, in which case he should have seen the queue of cars moving slowly past him.
    If he hadn't been parked there I would have had room to get past the car in front and out of the square coz I hate it when people just block the place up waiting for parking spaces. I'd normally find somewhere else to park and walk back to the shops.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I know it's defeatist but I'm pretty well settled on walking away and leaving it. Odds are that it will end up costing me money in the long run and I really don't see the point in trying to argue against someone who will make up whatever lie he needs to to get out of it.
    Just been and looked at the car again and you can't notice the scratches until you look for them so I might as well leave them till I'm thinking of getting rid of the car, by which time there may be more scratches anyway. Already a small one on the back door from when I left it in a supermarket car park. Blooming car just seems to attract people who don't look where they are going...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I haven't read back in the replies so if this is a repeat reply please understand.

What to do, the law states when reversing you should only do so when the road is clear, whichever way he cuts it he is in the wrong, call him and explain this to him and his all knowing solicitor, add this to it, tell him you are not going to be monkied about and are just going to report it to the police where he can expect an undue care and attention charge to be added to it and would he like to now own up and be honest about it, get pics of the location and where your car was when it got hit, if this all fails, you know where he lives, give him £300 worth of tyres to buy in 6 mths time, I'm not advocating you damage his cvar, I'm telling you you have to if you want some sort of closure on this, oh, and don't get caught.

His story fails also, if you are both reversing and he is parked and you are on what is effectively the main road, you still have right of way over him.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i'd take the f****er to court, but thats just my own opinion....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information