User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower Grill Work In progress

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

Default Lower Grill Work In progress

Something I think Irmscher have missed in there bolt on styling line up is the lower front grill, while there are 3 bonnet options for the pre facelift there are none for the Bumper grill. Well this is my attempt.

My Idea is to fit the VXR lower grill to the pre facelift front end. Not a hard thing to do at first look but when you get the Honeycomb in your hands the differences are huge. Where the SRI/GSi grill is pretty much flush the VXR item is curved in every direction. The main problem with it being that it curves under itself, in affect the hole grill is convexed.

My first plan was to just place the grill over the existing hole, you could then press the edges down in it would sit flush against the bumper, problem with that is you need somehow to hold it down and in place but you would then have to cut off all the lugs that hold the original in place. Here you can see the lugs.

So my next option is to cut the VXR grill down to fit inside the bumper aperture as the original does. Right, so how to hold it in place mmm? My decision is to cut the SRi mesh out of its frame then simply cut the honeycomb to fit, (simple..... I wish).

The top of the VXR grill is mostly solid and also houses moldings for the numberplate fixings, something the SRi doesnt have, so this was the first thing to come off which left me with this.

Starting to look good but the dremel is taking a right kicking and shearing fixing screws. If I had access to a band saw then this would be so much easier but I don't so I'll just persevere.

Last job of the day was to make a template of the SRi frame so I can then transfer this to the Honeycomb for cutting.

Tomorrow is the fit or bust day where I find out if the cut Honeycomb fits into the SRi frame, but first i'll have to make a jig for the frame as its going to be very flimsy once the mesh is cut out.

So this is my work in progress so far. Hope it all works and fits as I think it will freshen the front end up in addition with Honeycomb grills for the fogs with Facelift Siggy surrounds fashioned to fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Keep at it m8, it will be worth seeing when finished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : Z20NET

Year : 04

Excellent stuff mate, good write up!

I had a similar idea, that I was going to use a 2nd Irmscher grille and make that fit inside so both upper and lower grilles match! However after seeing your idea I think I may try making new upper and lower grilles from VXR inserts, I once seen someone over on AOC who used the housing/frame from and Irmscher grille, then cut and shut the lower grille from an Astra GSi front bumper in to it so both upper and lower grilles were matching "Honeycomb" looked awesome

I'll eagerly await the finished product

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'v still got a sheet of stainless mesh i bought mid last year to do the bottom grill but still not got round to it, one day huh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

keep it up rushy, you`ll get your rewards m8.(photos when done)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great work so far Rushy, can't wait to see the finished product. Irmscher did miss a trick. They made matching lower grills for the Vectra B, why not the C?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great work rushy, keep at it and you'll get there in the end. It'll look fantastic when
    it's finished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a

Engine : Dirty diesel

Year : 2006

looking good there mate, hope ou get it finished before the dremmel give's up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers guys. Kev, the grill is too small to do the bonnet grill, gutted as that was my full plan. Due to the extreme shape of the honeycomb you cant cut 2 grills to make one larger one. The Astra you are on about I think was in TV last year and is what gave me the inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Little Update.

Right, we continue.

Cut the old mesh out of the SRi grill today, no going back (well its only about a tenner for a new one). Now my first plan was to trim all the old mesh off and leave the frame smooth and nice so no painting needed but no joy. The plastic is very fibrous when you scratch the surface so would leave a mark where each leg went, so after more cutting and lots more sanding I am left with this.

But due to all the sanding the finish looks like this.

Some wet and dry and it looks a little better but in the end I have consoled myself that its going to need spraying. Although I did find if you apply heat from a gas gun the black colour does come back but I didn't want to shrink the frame so just left it with the wet and dry.

Frame sorted so now on to the Honeycomb. The night before I clamped the grill and applied heat and left over night. This process helped to straighten the curve out of the VXR part, and to my joy set in the exact same contour as I wanted. With the template attached I began cutting the Honeycomb to shape. Once a rough shape was achieved It was then a process of offering it up to the frame then trim and so on for what felt like hours.

Finally finished and a snug fit. This is how it looks fitted but not fixed into the frame.

Not bad if I do say so myself . Next weekend Its gluing time, some small filling and then Plastic primed and sprayed Satin Black

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information