Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Mile per gallon/miles per Litre

?In this enviromently green concious world we live in,why do car makers and the like continue to measure fuel economy in MPG,when one would have thought that it would make more sense if it was measured in MPL,after all we buy the stuff in litres,and even the fuel tanks are in litres,surely it would be easier to calculate a cars economic performance if it was one size fits all,?or do you think there are more sinister reasons for continuing to mix the two.thoughts please.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It's simple - everyone knows what is good and bad MPG...

If you start using miles per litre, no-one will know what's good or bad...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

plus they're not going to start mixing imperial and metric units either. It's mpg as that's two imperial units, and as Penfold said it's something that we in the UK can equate to easily. The other measurement often given, more on the continent, is litres/100 Km - which my brain just can't comprehend in terms of what's a good or bad figure! lol

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold101 View Post
    It's simple - everyone knows what is good and bad MPG...

If you start using miles per litre, no-one will know what's good or bad...
    Ah! so you think its because its easier to calculate then penfold,sorry m8 but imo its easier to work out in ltrs.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    plus they're not going to start mixing imperial and metric units either. It's mpg as that's two imperial units, and as Penfold said it's something that we in the UK can equate to easily. The other measurement often given, more on the continent, is litres/100 Km - which my brain just can't comprehend in terms of what's a good or bad figure! lol
    But they are mixing the two together are they not,if your using one measurment then you stick to one measurement,you,ve just answered my question m8.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Basically, that's the way it is and that's the way it'll stay, because it's too hard to change anything now...

It would be like changing all the road signs into kilometers...

Or as one bright politician thought, simply have people read the speed signs in Kmph instead of MPH to help the environment.....

And yes, you're probably right that it would be easier to work out in litres as that's what we put into the car, but again, you wouldn't know off hand what was good or bad...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by macdad View Post
    But they are mixing the two together are they not,if your using one measurment then you stick to one measurement,you,ve just answered my question m8.
    Eh? How are they mixing the two?

MPG is miles per gallon - two imperial units. We work in miles in this country, and used to work in gallons at the pumps, but obviously now litres. MPG was around long before we changed to litres at the pumps. Just because we changed to litres at the pumps (were forced to basically) doesn't mean that we should suddenly change the units of consumption.

I can see your reason for MPL, as we use miles as our distance and the pumps dispense litres - but you try and seeing how people get on when a car salesman tells them that the car they're looking at does 6.6 MPL! They're going to look at him thinking If he says it does 30mpg then they'll know exactly where they are.

There is a metric equivalent for measuring consumption, and it's Litres/100 km - both metric units. The car manufacturers, or standards people, are never going to quote a consumption figure that comprises of a metric and imperial unit.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

MPG for me, Litre/100km is just unfathomable to me, it's just numbers. A least I know if I'm getting 43 mpg, I'm happy!

Besides, to put it into a British measurement, it'd be litres/62 miles, which would be even more confusing.

1 Gallon is 4.54 litres, easier doing the maths that way TBH.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    There is a metric equivalent for measuring consumption, and it's Litres/100 km - both metric units. The car manufacturers, or standards people, are never going to quote a consumption figure that comprises of a metric and imperial unit.
    This is not true !

Our Mazda 6 shows it as litres / 100 miles. All in all a much better way of expressing economy. 10 litres / 100 miles is 10 MPL = 45 MPG, so anything below 10 L/100 miles is better than the old 45 MPG.

It currently shows an average of 10.5 L/100 miles = 43.25 MPG, which is not too bad for mixed driving IMO (2.0L Diesel - 138 PS)

The old MPG is as outdated as the old LSD money, and is only really used in the UK (out of Europe anyway). IMO It is crazy to quote official economy figures in units that we don't use anymore. It's about time the UK came into somewhat line with the rest of the EU and quoted as a L / 100 mile (if we retain miles as our distance measurement)

The really useful thing is that you can work out easily what fuel you are going to have to put in for a specific journey (and hence the fuel cost), if say your journey is 150 miles, then at 10.5 L/100miles you will need (averaging of course) 15.75 litres = £16 at the pump.
    Last edited by Ste; 11th March 2008 at 01:40.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    This is not true !
    Well it's the majority for sure! (the L/100 Km one) The Mazda must be the exception. Look at most consumption figures that have Km in them, it's L/100 Km
    The old MPG is as outdated as the old LSD money, and is only really used in the UK (out of Europe anyway).
    That's because we use miles as our distance unit in the UK, compared to Km in the rest of Europe. As long as we have miles as our distance figure, we'll always have MPG quoted as the consumption figures I would think. It's simply what people have become accustomed to. I'm fed up of Europe trying to impose their metrication on us. I'm basically happy to work in imperial or metric units, I'm of the age where I was brought up with imperial but also learned metric too - but some imperial units, like MPG, just stick with you and you can instantly suss where you are with it.
    It's about time the UK came into somewhat line with the rest of the EU and quoted as a L / 100 mile (if we retain miles as our distance measurement)
    That I agree would probably make a bit more sense, a litres/100 miles figure, rather than a MPL one - just seems easier to get your head around it. Of course, if they did go for that then they'd need to do a bit of a period where they 'phased' it in i.e. still showed MPG as well, so that people would learn more quickly what the new one compared to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information