Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Porter Cable for sale

Hi all,

If anyone fancies getting involved with machine polishing i.e. with a Porter Cable (PC) as seen in this link: -

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pc-7424.html

There may be one coming up for sale soon.

One thing though I'm not sure if it will include the transformer, plug & extension which, if not, will have to bought from Screwfix for £46.

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Bryan
    I was waiting until after Xmas to send for a pc from autopia so I'm interested if ones available ( it is 2nd hand ?). Keep us informed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm lost, Is their something special about this PC thingy, lol. sorry excuse the ignorance. I have no idea what it is.

I was actually thinking about gettin an Automatic polisher, but I was looking at a cordless angle grinder type thingy with changing heads. so that I could use it elsewhere too. What are the general views on these things ?

If this one is good, I'd be interested too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well first of all Suj don't waste your money on a cordless polisher, the baterries don't last long and if your paint has picked up any defects like swirls you will not be able to remove them, they are good for doing a quick number on the paint like giving quick coat of wax but not much more.

Is the PC good.......well I think it's safe to say that it has now become the standard, the reason for this is that you can open the box and go also it is almost impossible to damage the paintwork unlike some of the cheaper ones out there one reason for this is the size of "throw" (random orbit) is much larger than others which because they are so small can burn the paint.

Also is cannot be purchased here in the UK so that means it is 110v so you need to cut the plug off and fit a 110v plug and you need a transformer.

The one that may be for sale could well come complete with tranny, plug also pads polish etc etc.

Bryan

PS the word is out there so if it becomes available then you will have to say virtually there and then or it will be to late.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by suj786
    I'm lost, Is their something special about this PC thingy, lol. sorry excuse the ignorance. I have no idea what it is.

I was actually thinking about gettin an Automatic polisher, but I was looking at a cordless angle grinder type thingy with changing heads. so that I could use it elsewhere too. What are the general views on these things ?

If this one is good, I'd be interested too.
    That’s called a rotary. The proffesional world use them but in experienced hands only. The reaosn being that they spin very very fast and if used wrong, can burn the paint very quickly. In the right hands they will tackle everything on a cars bodywork. For a begineer, I'd stay clear.

A PC is a little misleading as its an abbrevation of a brand name, Porter cable, same as say, black and decker. The Porter Cable is a random orbital polisher. This means that the head spins round but also moves in random directions, mirroring hand movements you would use when polishing, only a lot faster.

You can get other brands of random orbital polishers but Porter cable seem to be a firm favourite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That's rite Andy and that's why the cheaper ones can burn the pait because the orbit is so small they operate very much like a rotary...........and as Andy says they should only be used by those who are competent or you could gain experience by practising on a scrap panel (some do just that)

Also, for the run of the mill driver it's probably over the top but if it's of interest to you then hey why not!

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ok,

So me wants a randon orbital polisher,

mains powered,

good head, so that it doesnt burn the paint,

and a good, reliable and reputable brand name.

Is that correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That's about it Suj.......about the "good head" as long as it has a wide "throw" it's fine as I say the problem with most is that the throw is so small it is virtually a rotary and they can damage paitwork in the wrong hands.

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was speaking to my uncle yesterday about porter cable power tools. He's into Tool import and Distribution.

There's a Tool expo at Earls Court this coming weekend and he mentioned something about Firms selling Amercian made goods, I've asked him to keep eye's peeled for Porter Cable reps and also people selling professional quality polishers/buffers.

So fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Perfect Suj.............could you ask your uncle if he coud get info on the "throw" of the various tools available?.........this is what seperates the good from the bad as far as car detailing is concerned, the ones that will not damage your paintwork and the ones that could well do just that.

Also it's unlikely they will have the "PC" available because it is not CE approved for the UK.......that's why it is imported and runs on 110volt supply and you therefore need a tranformer, plug and extension cable.

Bryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information