Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Reversing Camera Connections

This a question for all you electric guru's out there ( and I hope there are a few )

I have a pioneer Avic x1r head unit with screen connected to a reverse camera. Now, the camera only comes on when reverse gear is selected. there is a cable connected to the reverse lights that must send a live signal to the headunit telling it when to switch to camera mode.

Now, on the head unit I have a button which allows me to select the reversing camera, but it doesnt work, as camera is connected to reverse lights.

I want to know, if i connected that cable to an always live feed, or ground it, will that fool the head unit into thinking its live and keep the reverse camera switched on, that way maybe I could manually switch it on and off using the head unit ??

edit : I've checked the 70 page user manual and it doesnt offer much help with connecting a reversing camera

please help.
    Last edited by suj786; 5th January 2006 at 14:02.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think it's probably designed that way to stop you watching the screen whilst driving forwards.

When you're in reverse can you turn off camera mode? I would guess a permanent live would turn your screen to camera mode, but how would you watch anything else on the screen then?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

in the menu, there is an option to switch between reverse gear and ground mode. but when I put it into ground mode it goes blank. I'm guessing I'll need to ground the cable to get that to work. I will still be able to switch between camera and screen/navi etc as it does say this much in the manual. just doesnt tell how to connect the cable. I need to find the wiring diagram

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It must be able to be sorted then. There's obviously plenty of grounds you can use and once you've connected a live feed to it then you should be sorted.

So, am I right in thinking the connection to the Reversing Lights need to be moved to a Ground and a live? Then switch to ground mode.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

what you need to do is connect a live feed into the reversing light cable that goes to the head unit. Put a switch in it and when you flick the switch, the unit will come on.

Only problem with that is when you turn on the switch, it will also feed the reversing lights. To stop this, place a diode in the wire from the reversing lights but before the switch. The diode will only allow current to flow from the lights, not back to the lights.

jobs a gudden!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I carnt remember how i put it in mine but I had a camera facing my daughter in my zafira and that was plugged into the reversing cam socket but I was able to keep an eye on her while on the move and it would also go bigger if reverse gear selected and say "image may appear reversed while in this mode" or something to that affect...Im sure it is in the settings and I just switched to reverse cam in the viewing mode so it was a split screen between the cam and sat nav.

Hope this helps cheers

Darren

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mortydirect22
    I carnt remember how i put it in mine but I had a camera facing my daughter in my zafira and that was plugged into the reversing cam socket but I was able to keep an eye on her while on the move and it would also go bigger if reverse gear selected and say "image may appear reversed while in this mode" or something to that affect...Im sure it is in the settings and I just switched to reverse cam in the viewing mode so it was a split screen between the cam and sat nav.

Hope this helps cheers

Darren
    Thanks for that Darren mate, thats exactly what I'm looking for. I've tried everything in the menu, but it wont help. I think its been wired a different way. Do you know if your camera was connected to a live wire or grounded ? I've got a feeling mine gets it power signal from the reverse lights, because otherwise it doesnt switch on.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My camera is powered from the stereo wiring loom so it is live with the stereo.

Cheers

Darren

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Won't do what you want while connected to the reversing connection of the stereo. The ground and live you select depends on which wire of the reversing light you connect to. I.e the live side or the earth side. To get a constant video feed you will need to find another way.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i've just pulled out the plastic cover thats over the cables for the rear lights.

There's a pink cable (sends a signal to stereo when live to let it know that reverse gear is selected) which is connected to a black/white cable, I assume this is the reverse light power feed.

Now the red power lead from the camera is also connected to this black/white cable. I'm guessing this is why the camera only works when in reverse, because otherwise it doesnt have a power feed.

The black cable from the camera is connected to a brown wire, which is fine.

What I think i need to do, is disconnect the black and red power cables for the camera, from the reverse lights, and put them somewhere where there is a constant feed. Now Initially I'm thinking the stereo- as darren suggested-, but is there anywhere nearer the back of the car, so I dont have to lift the door sills out ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information