0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : Z20NET

Year : 04

Default 3.2 V6 - Turbo conversion

Has anyone done this before?

I've no doubt it's possible but where do you start?

Can anyone list the parts required, I.E Turbo, Manifold, Intercooler, Exhaust etc etc, would many of the internals need to be upgraded? I've been reading about the DBilas turbo conversion kits for everything from a 1.4 Corsa to a 2.2 Astra but still retaining standard internals and running reliably.

I've read on several occasions that the Z32SE engine is very robust and can take big power, Now I'm not thinking of stupid amounts, maybe 300-350BHP?

I'm asking with the insight to carry out said conversion as in recent times I've looked into getting shot of the Vectra in favour of a Turbo'd car,

However, nothing really ticks the boxes like the Vectra does, the 3.2 puts a smile on my face every time I bury the pedal and I struggle to find any cars in the same price range that offer as much "Bang for buck" in the sense of a complete package.

I'm almost at the stage now where all of the interior, exterior and handling mods are all in place.
    The one element I've always left til last is the tuning, as I've never been able to decide what I want to do

I currently have a de-restricted airbox with a K&N panel filter, with a Powerflow cat-back exhaust, the route I was looking at consisted of custom stainless exhaust manifolds with lengthened downpipes, Sports cat and stainless cat back, then going for a Regal remap, all the exhaust work would be done by my local fabricators A.A.S, held in very high regard up here! so basically a powerful N/A

I've opened up this thread to try and get some serious insight as to what is involved,

Regards,

Kev

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

From what Mark (GSi) has said, I don't think you can get a turbo into a 3.2 given the space available and location of where it would have to go. However, I believe there is mileage for a supercharger The Irmscher i35 has a supercharger (3.2 engine) but it apparently was never offered as an option over here as on the RHD version the steering rack/column, I believe, gets in the way. However, I think Mark believes it's feasible with the right sort of supercharger unit and a bit of engine bay 'modifications'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I see, a supercharger sounds interesting also, would it need to be brand new of would something along the lines of a Merc Kompressor unit suffice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ooh, now you're asking! I don't know TBH. I'd expect the supercharger would need to be matched to the specific engine i.e. the relevant type/size/gearing of supercharger in relation to the capacity/power of the engine.

I think to fit where Mark thought it could, it needed to be a more compact charger from memory. He can confirm, or rubbish! lol, all what I've said if he sees this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok Duncan, well cheers for the reply, I'll await Marks response

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

right...it's possible to turbo the 3.2 but you'll need low compression pistons, new exhaust manifolds ( for twin turbo's as it's easier than plumbing in one) oil feed lines and returns to the sump.. a custom made exhaust system from the turbo's back..the main greif is the ECU's..getting them to accept boost sensors to work the fuelling out accurately..

Superchargers are quite a bit easier in theory, but finding a compact enough unit is the hard part..then you have to sort out a belt wrap and custom made pulleys to drive it...the unit's are normally running their own oil bath system so no oil lines to run, just a mounting bracket to fabricate to hold it aligned..

you control the boost on the supercharger by altering the gearing of the drive pulleys to control the overdrive...

both systems need an intercooler to control the air temp of the boosted air ( too high a temperature and you risk detonation)..

if you have around £3k you may well be able to get a system running, but you'll be having a fully custom made setup....there is no setup avaliable off the shelf..think about having your own low comp pistons made..then it'll need a day or so on a rolling road having a custom remap written for it to account for the extra air being fed in..

I have toyed with 'charging our two 3.2's.. but with the price of 2.8T's so cheap these days and with Insignia only a few months away i put it on the back burner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There we go, I knew he'd expand on it much more than I could! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_A View Post
    I've read on several occasions that the Z32SE engine is very robust and can take big power, Now I'm not thinking of stupid amounts, maybe 300-350BHP?
    Not sure whether the gearbox is so strong though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would go with one turbo. The exhaust from both sides of the engines connects quite fast. Of course you will have a bigger turbo hole, but is shouldt be a problem. After all in a 3.2 engine you are rather looking for power on higher RPM's then for the torque from down up. But still this will be a lot to do.... going with a supercharger is for sure easier.

You will have also to lower the compression of the engine. But this can be done by aplying a higher seal under the gasket.

Although for sure it will be a lot easier and cheeper to go with the 2.8v6 bi turbo engine. You can put in a 280bhp version, so after chiptuning only you will be looking at around 310bhp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    right...it's possible to turbo the 3.2 but you'll need low compression pistons, new exhaust manifolds ( for twin turbo's as it's easier than plumbing in one) oil feed lines and returns to the sump.. a custom made exhaust system from the turbo's back..the main greif is the ECU's..getting them to accept boost sensors to work the fuelling out accurately..

Superchargers are quite a bit easier in theory, but finding a compact enough unit is the hard part..then you have to sort out a belt wrap and custom made pulleys to drive it...the unit's are normally running their own oil bath system so no oil lines to run, just a mounting bracket to fabricate to hold it aligned..

you control the boost on the supercharger by altering the gearing of the drive pulleys to control the overdrive...

both systems need an intercooler to control the air temp of the boosted air ( too high a temperature and you risk detonation)..

if you have around £3k you may well be able to get a system running, but you'll be having a fully custom made setup....there is no setup avaliable off the shelf..think about having your own low comp pistons made..then it'll need a day or so on a rolling road having a custom remap written for it to account for the extra air being fed in..

I have toyed with 'charging our two 3.2's.. but with the price of 2.8T's so cheap these days and with Insignia only a few months away i put it on the back burner.
    Now you're talking mate!

I have a few question though, that £3k budget you mentioned is alot less than the daunting figure I had in my head, which in turn makes it a more pheasable task!

Do you think it's possible for someone such as myself to "Start" the process? I.e Mount the 'Charger, Intercooler + relevant pipework before handing it over for the exhaust, Pistons & Mapping?

I was planning to hand the car over to Advanced Automotive Systems to fabricate my exhaust system as their work is second to none! I was quoted for two manifolds, sports cat (s?), centre section (s?) and backboxes in 2 1/4" high grade stainless steel made and fitted for £1049, their work is all mandrel bent, so no messy welds etc.

Minus that from that original budget of £3000 (say £1950 left) will there be enough left for the rest of the conversion do you think?

Also,

Exactly where will the 'charger mount? will it be where the airbox currently resides? Just to give me an idea of how compact it has to be to fit, I'll try doing a little research myself but I dare say if I told A.A.S what I wanted they'd be able to find something for the job as they import alot of parts from overseas,

What will be the list of parts needed?

Obviously the Supercharger unit itself + a belt wrap and custom made pulleys to drive it.
    an Intercooler
    Low compression pistons
    Exhaust system
    Mapping

Is their anything else Mark?

You made it sound so easy, is it actually as simple as it sounds?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information