Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default One month on.

Had the Holden Veccy for a month now, it's a 03 2.2 manual hatch with about 35000 miles on it, only had a couple of minor hiccups, the emission light came on so I pulled out the air filter, gave it a blast with the air gun, disconnected the battery and let it sit for an hour or so, connected it up and the light's gone, anyhoo, chucked a new filter in the next day just to be sure

The next week the cruise control packed in, so after a read through the site I gave the clutch pedal a bit of aggro and it's come right, seems that the switch on the clutch pedal is super sensitive, you only need to breath on it to disconnect the cruise, ho well, that's about it.

The other odd thing is I was checking the lights the other day and it looked like the L/H rear fog light wasn't playing, checked the bulb and it was fine, had a squizz at the R/H side and there's 6 wires going into the assembly but only 5 on the left so am assuming the regs for rear fogs must be different around the planet, my last Veccy, an Opel A had both lights working

All in all it's a really nice car, just wish we had the range you lucky so and so's in the UK get to pick from, ours is 2.2 or 3.6 petrol only, would luv a turbo diesel

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Yous give us the Monaro and you don't have any Turbo Diesels? That's GM for you. At you you have a 3.6 though!

Gazza4

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsbreath View Post
    The other odd thing is I was checking the lights the other day and it looked like the L/H rear fog light wasn't playing, checked the bulb and it was fine, had a squizz at the R/H side and there's 6 wires going into the assembly but only 5 on the left so am assuming the regs for rear fogs must be different around the planet, my last Veccy, an Opel A had both lights working
    Correct, LH one is just for show. EU regs

I think its stupid, you can either see the lights or you cant, doesnt matter if you cant see one or two.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Personally, I think the off side shouldn't have a wire either. Foglights are a pain in the arse - or should I actually say 'the ***** who don't know how to use them appropriately are a pain in the arse'

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Personally, I think the off side shouldn't have a wire either. Foglights are a pain in the arse - or should I actually say 'the ***** who don't know how to use them appropriately are a pain in the arse'
    But I just dont get it! High intensity lights caneither be seen or not seen. What difference does it make if there are two or only one. As I understand it the EU wants only one so that you can tell if someone has their fog lights turned on or off. That makes no sense to me, the idea of fog lights is that you can be seen when its foggy, why have this pointless directive to allow only one fog lamp...its using paper for using papers sake.

Okay okay, I agree...there will always be numpties that forget to turn them off or even put them on because they think its cool and that annoys me too, but there is no directive saying you can only have one front fog lamp.

If I have any facts or assumptions wrong here, please correct me - But if I am right then I think this is just plain silliness.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No, it is actually a good idea.

There is no EU law saying only one should come on. Type approval, construction and use etc state that the foglight fitted should either be central or towards the outside of the vehicle. Where 2 are fitted they should be symmetrical. There's also some height regs etc. But the sideways position is the key here.

Anyway, why only one light? It is not so people can see if you have fog lights on. It is so that there is one light at normal intensity, so when brake lights go on, there is an obvious and immediate intensity change that is picked up quickly by the car following. Yes, Vec has the third brake light too, most car do but some don't.

That is the reason for only one foglight. Some people run a wire across from the off side to the near side, thus making both lights work. I don't think it is sensible to do it, for the reason above.

IMO, most people have no idea how to use them properly and think they are some force field to prevent rear collisions. When there is a car behind, turn them OFF. They have now seen you through the thick fog (as it would be if visibility is less than 100m - highway code on using Fogs) - leaving them on does 2 things, gives me a sun tan and burns my retinas.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks Ste for the explanation, much of what I said was assumption about the EU.

I understand what you are saying now.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So what happens if you take your car across the channel?, does it matter which side the fog light is on?, can you get nicked by the cheese eating surrender monkey plods for not having the light on the other side?

Just being nosy coz I never use them as the weather is always perfect in Noo Zuuland

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you stay for over 3 months (i think) you need to change over, otherwise you are a visitor and it is OK.

Thread Information