Thread: CBT and Learner Legal Bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cool CBT and Learner Legal Bikes

Ok folks, passed my CBT and I am now able to ride a 125 with L plates Looking through the bikes I can get (like the Varadero that was mentioned on here) but there are a number of 125's all advertised as "learner legal" but have differing bhp. They appear to range from very little to 33+bhp with a lot around the 15bhp mark. Now my gut feel is that 15bhp is my limit legally, but how do the higher bhp bikes get advertised as learner legal?

Cheers,
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You pass your test on a bike below 500cc then you're allowed to drive a bigger bike upto 33hp with but am not sure L plates. You can drive a 1200 but it has to be limited to the 33hp. Basically you can drive a 125 and if you take your test do the full one with a 500 then you can ride anything- and do it before Oct cause the EU have shoved their grubby mits in and it's about to become twice as long, twice as hard and wait for it-twice as expensive!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

do your CBT and your restricted to a 125 with less than 15ish bhp (although I thought it was nearer 12), ride with L-Plates and no pillion. Pass your test on a 125 and you can ride ANY machine with a power output of 33bhp or less for a period of two years without L plates and CAN carry pillion, after two years your licence is upgraded automatically. Pass your test on a machine over 33bhp and over 500cc and you can ride any bike with any power output.

*that said there are some power to weight ratio restrictions to stop people riding 50cc bikes with 600cc 33bhp engines on an A1 licence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ah, ok so it's 125 with less then 15 bhp for me then. I'll ignore all fancy Aprillia exotica

Ta v much

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i thought the 33 bhp was amaied at the age group between 17-24 for a two year periodfor insurance perpose reasons

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    do your CBT and your restricted to a 125 with less than 15ish bhp (although I thought it was nearer 12), ride with L-Plates and no pillion. Pass your test on a 125 and you can ride ANY machine with a power output of 33bhp or less for a period of two years without L plates and CAN carry pillion, after two years your licence is upgraded automatically. Pass your test on a machine over 33bhp and over 500cc and you can ride any bike with any power output.

*that said there are some power to weight ratio restrictions to stop people riding 50cc bikes with 600cc 33bhp engines on an A1 licence.

Thread Information