Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Fuel price protest

Okay, okay I donít know the first thing about protesting other than when I was 10 and I explained to my mother that fish did not have fingers and since I wasnít completely satisfied with the origins of the food on my plate I was not going to eat it.

Fuel prices are stupidly high and rising, but nevertheless we keep paying for it - well we have to donít we?! Itís not like buying parts, we canít check the dealers, independents and then crawl eBay looking for the cheapest option. We have to go with the best we can find with the difference being only a few pence.

So what is this thread about? I often wonder what would be the most successful way for the UK people to protest in a civilised manner against the tax paid on fuel. The blockades a few years ago were necessary to an extent and proved at the time that businesses were unhappy with the price of fuel. The public, to some degree supported the protest although some found it an inconvenience, rightly so...we want to have our say but we donít want to go without.

I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the best way to protest that would yield maximum impact with the most public support. How is it possible to show the government that the UK as a whole will not continue to accept this tax and how would it be possible to engage the public to take part in a protest?

This is a hypothetical exercise only, and I am only interested in civilised and rational ideas.

No postcard necessary, plonk yer answers below please.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Our elective powers are the most powerful right we have.

It is time for a new Government that won't shaft the motorist at every turn.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : saab 95

Engine : 2.3t

Year : 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Our elective powers are the most powerful right we have.

It is time for a new Government that won't shaft the motorist at every turn.

so who then

libs wanna tax ya even more

lab wanna tax u stealth

cons wont change a thing apart from cut your paye by 1p which wont help.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I agree that electing a party with promises is one way of securing wins, it does demonstrate democracy but doesnít highlight the cause of their election nor does it demonstrate the public concern over one specific issue. Also, promises arenít always kept and over the space of 7 years much can happen and many promises forgotten[/FONT].
    [/FONT]

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Seeing as you can't trust a politician as far as you can throw them no matter what colour his tie is I'd rule out listening to any of them!

I think it's been posted on here before but the only way to do it is boycott all the big petrol companies ie Bp Shell and Esso and use supermarkets even though their's isn't the best petrol! When the big companies start losing a fortune thet will then put their prices down and hopefully keep them down!

This isn't helped by the massive amount of tax and then VAT added on the tax but without shutting the country down the lying politicians will never change this- OH AND DON'T FORGET THAT IN APRIL THERE'S GOING TO BE ANOTHER 2p A LITRE ADDED ON AS TAX again!

Also- fair enough a barrel of oil is $100 a barrel but the oil companies seem to have forgotton that the $ is so weak that when it used to be $30 a barrel that used to be £20 but even now it's $100 that is only about £50 and when the price drops can you remember when the price went down????????

You've started me off now!

rant rant

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by j13hdb View Post
    I think it's been posted on here before but the only way to do it is boycott all the big petrol companies ie Bp Shell and Esso and use supermarkets even though their's isn't the best petrol! When the big companies start losing a fortune thet will then put their prices down and hopefully keep them down!
    Don't get me wrong, I dislike the prices as much as anyone, but what would this achieve? Where do you think Sainsbury's, Tesco etc get their fuel from? They don't run rigs or refineries, in the end it's the same companies anyway, and they make their profit from the wholesale and refining, not the retail end. Boycotting the big name garagaes will hardly dent their income.

IMO the only way is long term - income has to go up to cover costs - distribution costs will rise increasing the cost of goods etc. Inflation increases and the economy suffers, policy statements and targets are missed - you then see the government policies are not working and finally you can hope a party will cotton on and change the policy. Yes I know, keep dreaming!

Either that or emmigrate

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000

I boycott the big petrol stations and the service stations already due to the price of the goods in the shops. I think the food and drink in the shops must be wrapped in invisible gold because thats the only reason I can think of for the higher prices!

Unfortunalty most of the big named petrol stations are run by franchises rather than the oil companies themselves so it will not do a lot to the big boys.

I have started to take out a flask of water with me every day and this saves me £2-3 at least per day and is healthier than the fizzy drinks and rubbish I normally buy.
    Last edited by merikiito; 25th February 2008 at 10:04.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A boycott wonít work itís the Gov who gets the biggest slice of the cake we need to be more like the Americans and start a lobby group.
    Thereís no way the Gov will reduce duty on fuel this cash has already been spent for the next 5 years.

What you have to do is start a online Petition stating we will vote you out in the next general election if duty is not reduced there may all ready be one .

Paul

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They have to go, not only for the fuel prices, but in general, once again Labour has damaged the country and it will take another 15 yrs to reverse their damage.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VauxVeteran View Post
    They have to go, not only for the fuel prices, but in general, once again Labour has damaged the country and it will take another 15 yrs to reverse their damage.

I agree but they are all just as bad as each other even the speaker of the house has been caught cooking the the books.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information