Thread: electrician qualifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default electrician qualifications

as above really...... i am thinking of retraining and have a background in electronic engineering so i am thinking of becoming a domestic electrician
    i have looked about on the net but am going round in circles, lol
    i am trying to find out what i need to to get to become a qualified sparky, anyone got any ideas where i can get the info ?
    cheers guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    574 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

Just did a quick google for you.

City & Guilds 2382, 17th Edition Course

and a further complimentary course

Part P Domestic Installers Course.

http://www.electricalqualifications.co.uk/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2.0l CDTi Bi-Turbo Insginia Sports Tourer

Trim : Vx Line Nav Sri

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2014

You'll also need inspection and test certification if you want to 'sign off' installations. BS2391 if i remember. The practical is a B*****d. If you go this way, let me know and i'll send you all the course notes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a

Engine : Dirty diesel

Year : 2006

i am C & G 236 part 1 and 2 trained.............16th edition (think that is the right number)

visit your local college and enquire there, they will put you on the right track if you are struggleing

part P is cheaper alternative to C & G............

HTH

you might want to get PAT testing covered too, some money to be made there ......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

technique training do loads of courses and they are based in stevenage and chesterfield. i am going to be doing my 1 day update to 17th edition there. i have heard good things about them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks a lot guys for your quick responses, i knew i could rely on you lot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to jump in... but I have a question aswell on the same subject..

Ive been working in sales for 8 years and ive thought about training to be a sparky - I met a guy this week from a company called new career skills who will provide full training - c&g qualificiations and part p - will be a lot of home study with 4 seperate 'practical' weeks, the course isnt cheap but its do-able..

Ive never been in the trade before, only just changed a light switch at the weekend! - has anyone got any experience of this type of training and if it works or not? guy reckons (on average) 6-9 months to be qualified but have up to 18 months..

Any advice much appreciated!

... just to add.. the qualifications I would get are: C&G 2381, 2371, BS7671 and Also PAT testing - can then do 2391 if required. been told part p is included..
    Paul.
    Last edited by pjames.79; 21st February 2008 at 12:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Mileage : 3023

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    You'll also need inspection and test certification if you want to 'sign off' installations. BS2391 if i remember. The practical is a B*****d. If you go this way, let me know and i'll send you all the course notes.
    G&G 2391 isnt a requirement to sign off part p work, the C&G2391 course is for all types of testing & inspection, commercial & industrial etc.. Partp is a Competent persons scheme for work carried out in dwellings, both the current 16th edition C&G 2381 and the newer 17th edition C&G 2382 courses include testing and inspection which will enable you to sign off your domestic work if you register with one of the 5 or so scheme providers (Niceic, nappit, eca, Elecsa, BSI etc).. under the 16th & 17th editions competent persons are amongst other things those qualified to C&G2381 & C&G2382 :-

1. Competent person Introduction
    People who are to work on electrical equipment or electrical installations must be competent to do so. The level of competence required will depend on the complexity of the task and the amount of technical knowledge required. According to the Memorandum of guidance on the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, issued by the Health and Safety Executive, the suitability of an individual to carry out a task depends on the scope of the individual’s technical knowledge and experience, and will include:
    • adequate knowledge of electricity• adequate experience of electrical work• adequate understanding of the system to be worked on and practical experience of that class of system• understanding of the hazards which may arise during the work and the precautions which need to be taken• ability to recognize at all times whether it is safe for work to continue.

as taken from the latest NICEIC Techinical manual cd..

Im currently doing the 17th edition course myself, im am doing the C&G2382, aswell as the C&G2392 (when its out ) at a training centre in strood, i've been doing electrical testing & inspection for over 18years now, i done the C&G2391 back in 1997 (hence why i chose to refresh myself and do the 2392 course)
    Our yearly NICEIC inspection is due soon so as the Qualifying Manager for the company i work for i was voted to do the 17th edition 1st.. Lucky me..

You can buy a 2382 homestudy course from electacourse for less than £50, i done this so i can study at home in between college visits.. there is no point doing a 2381 course as this is a 16th edition course and will be out of date as of 1st July, Also bear in mind that BSI who publish & sell the 17th edition regs books are as i was told yesterday by the NICEIC regional manager out of stock due to the unforeseen high demand.. and some stockist wont be back in stock until the end of March.. Glad i bought a couple myself now.. there is also a guide to the 17th edition published by the ECA which is also worth buying as it is in plain english unlike the regs... (around £20) and a 17th edition DVD from the NICEIC which covers the changes to the 17th, they also have a good testing and inspection in domestic dwellings dvd (NICEIC order code DVD1) both of these dvd's are around £10 IIRC

If you get stuck for any info or the 17th edition literature let me know and i'll see if can sort anything out for you, I also have a 2381 course simulator which is good for refreshing your memory..
    Last edited by Big-Pete; 21st February 2008 at 14:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Mileage : 3023

Honestly dont bother with the 2381 course, its a 16thedition course and the 17th edition is out now but won't come into effect until the 1st July, If i were you i'd buy the homestudy courses from somewhere like electracourse, and i'd do the 2382, 2391 or 2392, partp & 2377 (pat testing). the only cost on top of the prices below is the exam fees which i've been told by people doing course thru electacourse will be around £50 each depending on the college you goto..

The Partp course is £67 downloaded or £77 for the cd version.
    the 2382 course is £47 downloaed or £57 for the cd version
    the 2377 Pat testing course is £27 downloaded or £35 for the cd version..
    the 2391 Testing & Inspection course is £24 downloaded or £34 for the cd version..

details can be found here
    http://www.electacourse.com/index.html

Pete

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information