0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Check before you buy.

This is just a word of warning for those purchasing a vehicle...
    If in doubt walk away!

Check before you write a cheque!

As some may know I've sold my vectra to buy a van....(yes i'm still gutted simon)... so anyway I've been out looking.

I Initially set out to buy a Vauxhall Vivaro... but I was searching the trader and found a renault traffic... 55plate £5999 ono private sale. Basically the same van.
    It seemed Ideal.
    called the guy up, yes still got the van, says hes in Newcastle tho at the moment, will be back about 6pm, you can come round then...
    I know it was going to be dark but it seemed like a bargain not to miss.
    Got the registration from the guy, and done a free hpi check, basically checks owners make model.
    All ok... came back as the vehicle described.
    anyway...
    I go around, at 6, immediately Something wrong... its a facelift van, on a 55plate... they didn't come out untill 2006.
    Ok I'm a sad man and know this, lots wouldn't, and could quite easily overlook this.
    Instantly alarm bells ringing.... but still took alook around the van, its MINT its brand spanking new... this van is showing 90k on the clocks.
    Still got nobbly bits on the tyres....
    theres no wear to the driver seat... a very common problem, pedals zero wear.
    Checked the docs and all ok, vin numbers all match, in the window and on the chassis... V5 had watermark.

The chassis number on the van looked odd, it was engraved rather than stamped in the bodywork... upon closer inspection i found it to be a plate stuck over the top of original chassis number... this plate was aluminium, covered with a white foil.

the van was sign written, but no phone numbers, the name on the van matched the v5, he highlighted that the previous owner removed phone numbers without being prompted.
    It stated light haulage, on the side of the van, he said this is why the van is mint.

he claimed one lady owner, but constantly referred to bloke he got it off... & i checked it had 2 previous apparently.

I did confront the guy politely.. with what i found, I didn't know what to expect, but he took it really well. Saying, he hopes its not a clone, as hes purchased vans from the same guy before.
    he said, hpi the vehicle... but hpi will not show if its a clone of a vehicle that is still on the road... ok if they cloned a scrapped vehicle... but of not hpi is useless.

Everything I found, was without paying for a full hpi, now I would have done a full hpi of i was happy with the basic things I checked.

I had my uncle with me at the time, when driving home he said to me... "do you know mike, if I was on my own I'd have bought that, I'd have never checked those things".

This van in my opinion hadn't done more then 3000 mile. The van was a ****** good clone too.

This is just a warning, that Clones do exist, be very careful, I cant say for sure if the guy i met was a conman, or has been done over himself....
    But he was a very well presented chap, who, appeared to be very genuine.
    I wont be going to the police, this clone, was not just a one off, and the guy could be part of a large organized gang, and I quite like my knees.

Just be careful guys.
    Last edited by 2ltrT; 20th February 2008 at 21:55. Reason: changed one or 2 things to avoid ppl trying to find him

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very true my friend...
    This is a huge business for the criminals of today.
    Just make sure that you check absolutely everything before you buy... there will be no comebacks if the police take it off you for being a stolen recovered
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still think you should pass this onto the police tho Mike...........as your uncle said he would of bought it................so some poor soandso will do the same

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

soulman:
    I hear what your saying but, this guy has my phone number, one search of my number on a particular search engine will revel my business website, giving my address.

if the police go knocking tomorrow, he'll know it was me, i told him i knew it was a clone...

I don't want people to get ripped off, but i also don't want trouble... the clone was very "professional" this was not just a one man band.

hope you understand.
    mick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2ltrT

I would get in touch with crimestoppers - totally anonymous, and it takes a few weeks to process intelligence gathered.
    He wouldnt make the connection due to the time lapse.

Andrew

Thread Information