Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Car Denial

Browsing around some of the forum's you'd think VX cars are the only ones that go wrong, have any of you got friends like this, where their car never goes wrong, always reliable and always get the impression they look down on your car because they heard you needed a new part for it.

As you know I own a Skoda right now, and to read up on Skoda's you'd think they don't need a repair workshop cos they are so good according to the owners, wrong, I've seen quite a few Octavia's needing new gearboxes at 40k, I'm just sick of it right now, why can't ppl tell the truth about things, right now a VX reads like the Coward of the County, they all look down on em and sneer, but when it comes to the crunch, the VX goes the distance, something I know this fairy tale POS I own right now won't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Still having probs VV I did look out for you last night on my way home. Got slightly worse for wear after playing rugby and the wife refused to pick me up lol!!
    Its a fair comment though everyone elses cars are always the best and nothing ever goes wrong and fuel consumption is better than the brochure lol! Liars the lot of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well, one car going wrong doesn't mean the rest are cr@p. I've been very lucky with all the cars I've owned. Only the VW Passat caused me problems. Lot's of minor electrical problems, which put together were a pain in the backside. This combined with an arrogant dealer put me off VW for life.

Never had a problem with any MG Rover/Ford/Vauxhall I've owned, nor with my current Pug. The Octavia VRs I used to drive at work was an excellent car that stood up to a regular thrashing. I'd certainly own one.

You've been unlucky with your car, doesn't make the rest of us who've had no problems liars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by MLC View Post
    Well, one car going wrong doesn't mean the rest are cr@p. I've been very lucky with all the cars I've owned. Only the VW Passat caused me problems. Lot's of minor electrical problems, which put together were a pain in the backside. This combined with an arrogant dealer put me off VW for life.

Never had a problem with any MG Rover/Ford/Vauxhall I've owned, nor with my current Pug. The Octavia VRs I used to drive at work was an excellent car that stood up to a regular thrashing. I'd certainly own one.

You've been unlucky with your car, doesn't make the rest of us who've had no problems liars.
    I didn't mean you lot no wonder this didn't get many replies I mean other cabbies and some folk on forums, and yes the Passat is an (__O__) of a car, the guy who sold me the vectra said he had nothing but problems when he had one, very badly designed car overall, and had I known all the issue's with them I wouldn't have bought my one, but hey thasts a learning curve I suppose, and what you say of the dealers I can only echo five times over.

@ Alex, I think I'm going to have to tbh, it's £500 for a belt on it, I know there's another £200 of suspension work gonna be needed in a few mths time, so I feel swallow £700 rather than spend £700 is the best option, I also heard tonight of another ultra reliable Octavia doing it's tip box in at 73k, and I'm not far off that now.
    Last edited by VauxVeteran; 18th February 2008 at 00:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Seriously VV, why did you opt for the skoda over another Vx after the accident, was it just for a change of scenery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Larry 3.2V6 Elite View Post
    Seriously VV, why did you opt for the skoda over another Vx after the accident, was it just for a change of scenery?
    That was one of the reason's Larry, the others were the rear legroom in it and the reliable reputation they seem to have, it wasn't helped that the loan car Vectra was running like a dog as well, and it put the CDTi worries in my head, the clincher I suppose was that I had to view two cars in two places in one afternoon, mine was in Canterbury and the Vectra was up at Brentwood, I'd negotiated good deals for both cars and it just came down to the drive in the end, so I opted to go to Canterbury 1st to see the Skoda thinking I'd view it and then go see the Vectra and buy that anyway, by the time I'd tested the Skoda out it was knocking on 4pm and I didn't think I'd make north east London in time and was also fed up with my car searching anyway having been to Blackpool,London and Blackbushe numerous times over the previous weeks so I signed on the dotted line for the car thinking it would do for the next 2 yrs and not depreciate like the Vectra would and being 2k cheaper but 1.5 yrs older it meant I'd have less to repay, on the upside it is a nice car slightly more economic that the same spec Vectra but it's let down by Skoda dealers, part availability and the feeling that if it breaks it's gonna cost.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Agree - despite me having one of the most proplematic engines on here, the 1.9 150, I haven't had a single glitch with mine in the 10K miles I've had it. The problem with that though, is that I'm very wary of getting another one just in case...

Which means I've got to plump for the Isuzu 3.0 lump instead...

How will I cope...

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ian, the only reason why you hear of faults with Vauxhalls so much is because of the club scene matey. There's loads of on-line communities like this one where people sign up to investigate possible faults with their cars. People don't normally search the internet to find a club where they can post up how reliable their motor is.

Ford and Vw have a great club scene as well and we've all heard of the faults with those cars. It's all because if there's a medium to post up gripes the car people will find it.

I know from what you've said there's a Skoda club but the marque doesn't have a massive following (i'm guessing), so maybe that's why owners don't find the clubs so quickly to post up about possible faults with the motor.

Can you take the hit and get back in a Vx?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have just come back to Vauxhall after 3 yrs with a VW Golf Gti.I have spent very little apart from mods to keep it on the road so been lucky through out my ownership. If you look on the VW forums you will find they are not as well built as you think. Yes good solid cars but not without problems. Trim rattles, seat clunks, steering column. rack problems, excessive oil usage, coil pack issues, blown turbos. Like I said good cars but not without their problems.
    Vauxhall are as good as any out there but like all cars some will get problems. And also some people don’t like them as others may not like other brands its a fact of life.
    Vauxhall has a big internet foot print with forums etc so it may seem that they have more issues than others. But if you look at the numbers involved compared to Skoda sites its not that bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vag seem to be able to keep things hush hush about reliability , they definately are not the most reliable aka my mk4 golf , only vauxhall that gave me grief was a 1.7 dti astravan , which destroyed its engine twice! no other vauxhall has gone wrong on me , likewise both the ford focus'es c-max mondeo etc ive had , if you want peace of mind , mazda 6 or anything else jap for that matter , the germans definately dont build the best cars !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information