Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra 2.2dti "grumbling/knocking" noise

Hi, my first post, so hello everybody!
    I recently had my crankshaft pulley collapse, and after being replaced I had a horrible knocking/grumbling noise. I took it back (local garage), and they decided the broken pulley must have damaged the belt tensioner, so they replaced that.
    This was no different (the garage had only listened briefly, but you have to let the engine run for 20 seconds or so before the noise starts, after which it is there all the time at low revs - and disappears if you rev up).
    On taking off the tensioner to replace it again, the one coming off was absolutely shot - but the new one they were about to fit also looked bad, with play in the bushes at each end. My garage spoke to the main dealer (Bristol Street Motors of Chesterfield), and "someone" said there had been problems with this part.
    Another one was supplied and fitted, with no improvement, so the Main Dealer told my local garage to send me to them so they could investigate. I took it there, and they said yes, the tensioner was the problem, and they replaced it again.
    However, when I collected the car, it was no different. They had not listened long enough for the noise to start - and (though they booked it in again) they wouldn't come out of the door to listen!!
    I took it back to them again yesterday, and was told by phone this morning that the problem now was NOT the tensioner, but they didn't know what was the problem. They wanted to replace an idler (at about £380) to see if it was that, then the compressor (at £850) if replacing the idler didn't do it. They could not give me any idea how far they might have to go to establish what was the problem, only that I would have to pay for anything they did.
    It has cost me several hundred pounds so far, and now the Main Dealer has charged me £45 to diagnose the problem - yet they have not diagnosed the problem, they just want ablank cheque to fix it by an elimination process...
    Now where do I go? P/ex the car quickly? It's a 2003 Vectra Elite.
    Any comments would be very welcome.
    Thanks

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

After reading your post and numerous others on here and my experience of dealers I have come to the conclusion that most 'mechanics' these days seem to be nothing more than fitters, ie the computer says this part so just change it, sod the cost and if its wrong we will try something else...disgracefull..
    Sorry I can only offer sympathy but suffice to say my confidence and loyalty towards Vauxhalls is totally 'shot' after my experience. I mean come on, the flagship of the fleet, Signum is less reliable than most cars around and in my experience the most unreliable car I have EVER owned not to mention the most expensive for parts etc. and I have had some flash motors in the past. Suffice to say I will be getting rid of my Signum 2.2 Dti and going back to BMW, a 745i is cheaper to run than one of Vauxhalls buckets...Sorry to have to say it but it seems true. The amount of faults and the cost of repairs posted on this site and others seem to show Vauxhall are literally 'taking the p1ss'.
    Yes when I first got my sigy it was a lovely car, nice drive, smooth and quiet, but after 3 years of ownership and numerous large bills I have had enough.....Rant over....

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by yamkwak View Post
    After reading your post and numerous others on here and my experience of dealers I have come to the conclusion that most 'mechanics' these days seem to be nothing more than fitters, ie the computer says this part so just change it, sod the cost and if its wrong we will try something else...disgracefull..
    Agree, but it's dependant on the individual dealer, and how competent their mechanics are. It's not just Vx dealerships this happens at either, owners of other makes suffer this same thing too.
    I mean come on, the flagship of the fleet, Signum is less reliable than most cars around and in my experience the most unreliable car I have EVER owned not to mention the most expensive for parts etc. and I have had some flash motors in the past.
    Have to disagree. The Signum is not inherently unreliable, certainly not in my experience and people I know, and people on here. You've obviously had a bad experience with your car, but go and look on other car forums for different makes, yes including BMW, you'll quickly find people that have also had the 'Friday afternoon' car.
    The amount of faults and the cost of repairs posted on this site and others seem to show Vauxhall are literally 'taking the p1ss'.
    Don't forget - people tend to only post up on forums when they have a problem, so all it looks like these cars have is problems. You'll find the same on other forums too covering all different makes. People don't post up regularly saying "My car is running fine today" - they just don't. They post up if they have a problem, so all people see relating to these cars is the problems.

Don't take my post as some sort of defence of Vx, it's not. There are areas where they could do better and a good number of their dealers need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century and be aware what good customer service is - but you'll find that with dealers of other makes too. You only have to read posts on here to see members that have bought a Vectra / Signum after having a different make and suffered with huge problems with the car and/or incompetent/'couldn't give a monkeys' dealers. The opposite obviously occurs and unfortunately this includes you.

Peetoki - I cant help with your reply technically, but what I would say is I think you need to find another dealer that actually gives a damn and knows what they are doing, not one that is just going to keep replacing parts (at your expense) until they, by sheer luck, replace the part that's causing the issue. You need somewhere that can properly, and efficiently, diagnose the problem - they do exist, honest!, you just have to find them.

Given your location, Mark (GSi3.2) could probably point you in the direction of somewhere trustworthy.

HTH

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Duncan yes you are right and to be fair before I started having problems with my Signum I absolutely loved it. Yes Vx make some cracking motors and I have driven most of them including all the VXR range. BUT don't you think the standards are slipping at the dealers, I do, very poor and its very hard to get any sort of decent service from them, I get the impression they just see £££££ signs when you walk through the doors and I include virtually ALL mainstream manufacturers in this one.. Crikey one dealer (FORD) couldn't fix my wifes Galaxy, faulty air con, tghey had it for over 3 weeks until I bothered to go online and actually 'fish' out the FORD service bulletin telling them which part should be changed. Needless to say the master mechanic got a roasting from yours truly and a promise never to return...

Like you said most people only post when they have problems, well I'm sorry Dunc but it appears to me Vx do have problems, I have never seen a site rammed with so many problems and a lot of them in the same vein, poor design perhaps??? ER i'll get my coat now, cheers...

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

BUT don't you think the standards are slipping at the dealers, I do, very poor and its very hard to get any sort of decent service from them, I get the impression they just see £££££ signs when you walk through the doors and I include virtually ALL mainstream manufacturers in this one..
    I wholeheartedly agree! It's becoming more and more the case in all manufacturer dealers. There are good dealers out there, just few and far between. I'm very lucky in that my local dealer is one of the very good ones.
    Crikey one dealer (FORD) couldn't fix my wifes Galaxy, faulty air con, tghey had it for over 3 weeks until I bothered to go online and actually 'fish' out the FORD service bulletin telling them which part should be changed. Needless to say the master mechanic got a roasting from yours truly and a promise never to return...
    Yep, again a common thing - all manufacturers. Guys on here have only got a problem solved when they've found the info on here, gone armed with that knowledge back to the dealer and basically told them what they need to do! Same on other forums I'm sure.
    Like you said most people only post when they have problems, well I'm sorry Dunc but it appears to me Vx do have problems, I have never seen a site rammed with so many problems and a lot of them in the same vein, poor design perhaps??? ER i'll get my coat now, cheers...
    Hey, I never said Vx didn't have problems, it was more the individual dealers, but they (Vx) are no worse than a whole lot of other manufacturers.

As you've found in your other thread, it looks like we've (inside an hour and a half) got to the root of your latest problem - when your dealer was trying to tell you that needed a new fuel pump, a new this and that. Simply laziness/incompetence on their behalf by just reading Tech 2 codes basing it on that, instead of using that info to then diagnose it properly. A competent mechanic would have been able to do that, you just need to find a dealer that has them. Same story with other manufacturer's dealers too.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Peetoki View Post
    Hi, my first post, so hello everybody!
    I recently had my crankshaft pulley collapse, and after being replaced I had a horrible knocking/grumbling noise. I took it back (local garage), and they decided the broken pulley must have damaged the belt tensioner, so they replaced that.
    This was no different (the garage had only listened briefly, but you have to let the engine run for 20 seconds or so before the noise starts, after which it is there all the time at low revs - and disappears if you rev up).
    On taking off the tensioner to replace it again, the one coming off was absolutely shot - but the new one they were about to fit also looked bad, with play in the bushes at each end. My garage spoke to the main dealer (Bristol Street Motors of Chesterfield), and "someone" said there had been problems with this part.
    Another one was supplied and fitted, with no improvement, so the Main Dealer told my local garage to send me to them so they could investigate. I took it there, and they said yes, the tensioner was the problem, and they replaced it again.
    However, when I collected the car, it was no different. They had not listened long enough for the noise to start - and (though they booked it in again) they wouldn't come out of the door to listen!!
    I took it back to them again yesterday, and was told by phone this morning that the problem now was NOT the tensioner, but they didn't know what was the problem. They wanted to replace an idler (at about £380) to see if it was that, then the compressor (at £850) if replacing the idler didn't do it. They could not give me any idea how far they might have to go to establish what was the problem, only that I would have to pay for anything they did.
    It has cost me several hundred pounds so far, and now the Main Dealer has charged me £45 to diagnose the problem - yet they have not diagnosed the problem, they just want ablank cheque to fix it by an elimination process...
    Now where do I go? P/ex the car quickly? It's a 2003 Vectra Elite.
    Any comments would be very welcome.
    Thanks

My first call would be to get the car hot..operating temp.. in the workshop then remove the aux drivebelt while it's still hot.. then feel all the pulleys/idlers for 'roughness' in their bearings...if it's an idler or an alternator thats never going to hit £380 ever..Just a few more minutes of simple diagnosis would prob help no end..Unfortunatly they will only spend a max of 1/2 hr looking at your car as thats all the £45 fee would cover in labour times..so if they can't decode it or find it in that time the fitter will simply move on..he just won't get paid if he spends any more time on it..

Armed with a 15mm spanner, you could do your own diagnosis at home and rule out the idler/alternator/ac pump just by removing the belt and running the engine ( no noise means it's one of those components, or if the noise continues it's a chain driven component) and just by feeling for smooth rotation of the belt pulleys..a failing bearing will feel 'gravelly' in your fingers..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

Default engine noise

well said i'll second that id do the same get to temp+remove aux belt+do the checks yourself,ive never let a dealer put 1 spanner on any of my MANY vx's be-it old or brand new i would not give any dealer the time of day unless it was an utmost emergancy.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for your helpful comments, guys, which I took to my local (small) garage. One of their mechanics, angry with the attitude of the main dealer, asked me to put it on the ramps so he could have a look. He let me listen through his (stethoscope?) to an idler, which sounds like its about to collapse, knocking very loudly and with an obvious (even to me) wobble when you move it laterally by hand. Why the main dealer could not do this is beyond me. He only removed some plastic wheel arch trims to find this, and it took him about 5 minutes.
    He will enquire tomorrow exactly what is involved (how big a lump this is, and what it will cost to replace), and it should be an easy fix - hopefully.
    Thanks again, it was hearing your comments that got him curious.
    Pete

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Peetoki View Post
    Thanks for your helpful comments, guys, which I took to my local (small) garage. One of their mechanics, angry with the attitude of the main dealer, asked me to put it on the ramps so he could have a look. He let me listen through his (stethoscope?) to an idler, which sounds like its about to collapse, knocking very loudly and with an obvious (even to me) wobble when you move it laterally by hand. Why the main dealer could not do this is beyond me. He only removed some plastic wheel arch trims to find this, and it took him about 5 minutes.
    He will enquire tomorrow exactly what is involved (how big a lump this is, and what it will cost to replace), and it should be an easy fix - hopefully.
    Thanks again, it was hearing your comments that got him curious.
    Pete
    Try getting thast sort of helpful response from some other forums.... Citroen ones are nearly dead.... others are worse

Thread Information