Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Vectra V6 CDTi Auto -Towing Limit/Oil Cooler

Hi
    I have a 2005 Elite V6 CDTi Auto Estate for which the the braked towing limit is 1200kg...ridiculous I know. A salesman I met told me it had been lowered to 1200kg from 1800kg shortly after launch however he couldn't provide a reason. My V5 shows 1200.

I have made enquiries to Vauxhall U.K who appear to know less than than I do. My dealer can't assist.

I've recently changed my caravan from one which was well within the 1200kg limit to a newer one which weighs around 1400 kg loaded.

I'm resigned to having to sell my superb estate however before I do so I thought I'd make one last attempt to solve this matter and hopefully someone here may know the answer(s)!

For what reason is the limit 1200kg?
    If.....it's an auto gearbox issue..e.g. temperature of transmission fluid; then has anyone any experience and/or knowledge of fitting any anciliary kit that might help...such as a Kenlowe cooler?

Any other information would be most welcome.

Many thanks and my apologies if this subject has already been covered.
    Regards
    solarvec

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quite a few auto's have low towing limits, could only assume it's the box.

eta, just had a look here, http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/va...htm#vectra2e05

and the only difference is the auto box so it must be that. The pre-facelift auto was 1434kg!
    Last edited by sshooie; 13th February 2008 at 12:56.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi
    You wrote: The pre-facelift auto was 1434kg!

I thought the face lift was 10/2005? Mine is 02/2005 hence that would make mine 1434kg yet VX and my V5 state it's 1200kg. If you look at the tables on the website that you quoted one gives 1800kg the other gives 1200kg and both are for 2005. The only difference is that one table states New Vectra 2005, the other states Vectra 2005.

That said; IF it is an auto gearbox issue then how can I solve the problem, if at all? Will cooler assist?
    Regards
    solarvec

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I personal would not tow outside the limits of the V5, not sure if it would be a cooler issue but that aside it's the V5 that stipulates the limit. May be time to sell :-(

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Towing Limits

Hi
    Thank you for your response however overall I was hoping for some answers rather than comment.

I've just received a further response from Greenhaus Vauxhall and it seems they don't have an answer and what's worse they give the impression that they don't give a damn. They have now lost the sales, servicing, MOT and repair work on my car.

I'll now vote with my feet. The car is up for sale and I'm done with Vauxhall. If their Agents and Customer Assistance at Luton don't know the answer then what confidence can anyone have in anything they say/do........the present controversy over handbrakes springs to mind. Oh for the days when you could actually ring the manufacturer and speak with an engineer!

N.B. For anyone interested there are still a number of websites that still quote 1800kg as the max towing weight. Confused? Then take a look at the Opel variant where the brochures continue to quote 1800kg yet the UK variant is 1200kg! Same engine/gearbox/chassis etc etc.
    Many thanks

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by solarvec View Post
    Hi
    Thank you for your response however overall I was hoping for some answers rather than comment.
    OK, the answer is go by your V5, regardless of what comment anybody gives (dealer, mechanic or otherwise) the legal stance is printed clearly on it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

OK, the answer is go by your V5, regardless of what comment anybody gives (dealer, mechanic or otherwise) the legal stance is printed clearly on it.

Hi

Hi. The V5 states whatever information the manufacturer has supplied to DVLA hence 1200kg is what Vauxhall told the DVLA. You may have a point though in that plod would use the 1200kg in the event of an accident/stop.

The whole thing starts to smell when you consider that VX lowered the limit AFTER launching the vehicle.....was this to avoid gearbox failure problems and hence warranty claims? The same Dutch/Belgian vehicles carry 1800kg limits....same engine/gearbox/axle.........why?

To get back to where I started with this, If the reduction was as a result of warranty claims then I can investigate providing additional cooling. I have a new letter in to VX requesting that they provide a REASON as to why they reduced the limit. Not confident they will provide an answer.
    Regards

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had a similar problem with my Signum 3.0 V6 CDTi Auto as when I bought it in 2004 the brochures and the hand book did not give a towing limit for this car. It said 'tba'. The VIN plate does not give any towing limits just the max weight for the car, the gross train weight i.e. car + trailer and both axle weight limits.

I thought that the towing limit was the same as a manual gearbox at 1700kg but eventually Vauxhall technical advised that it was just 1300kg. When I asked why such a large drop they could not tell me so they contacted Germany. The answer came back that it was because the gearbox oil got too hot if 1300 was exceeded. I said well why don't you fit a proper oil cooler instead of the stupid 15mm plain pipe through the bottom of the engine radiator? The answer was that they will not do that as there is insufficient demand. The mind boggles at such stupidity. Especially as this pipe seal failed on many cars wrecking the autoboxes by letting the water get into the gearbox. Kenlowe told me that the facelift version of these cars does have a proper oil cooler so perhaps someone with one could confirm this by having a look underneath. If so what is the revised towing limit?

I got onto Aisin Warner, the autobox maker, in Japan and asked what the maximum torque capacity was for this box and they refused to give me the figure and told me that only Opel could give it! Opel refused as well. They call this customer service!! I am a retired professionally qualified automotive development engineer and spent a lot of time on caravan chassis, brakes and suspensions so do know what I am talking about with regard to automotive drivelines and towing.

My V5 does not have any figures for towing limits at all so I go by the gross train weight of 3310kg and that is what I would use if stopped whilst towing.

I did fit a Kenlowe oil cooler and you can see this installation on this forum at
    http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread...kenlowe+cooler

I hope that this helps as these cars, with this engine, are just built for towing.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Smile Vectra V6 CDTi Auto -Towing Limit/Oil Cooler

Big-Bri
    Thank you!!!!!. You have confirmed what I suspected. I've already been in contact with Kenlowe who have identified an oil cooler which might fit.

There is a problem which either I must solve or abandon the idea of keeping the car. As you state, they are potentially magnificent tow vehicles.

Kenlowe tell me that if I have a geartronic type auto i.e. one that you can use as a "manual" or semi-auto as some manufacturers call them; then I have a "pressurised" gearbox and hence the Kenlowe will not fit. If it is a standard auto i.e. one with no semi-auto mode; then I have a "non-pressurised system and the Kenlowe will fit. Do you have any knowledge of this in regards to your Signum? Mine is the geartronic type.

If I can solve that matter then I then must decide whether or not to tow within the Gross Train Weight figure of 3315kg which, If I load my car and caravan conservatively, should keep me within the legal GTW limit. I can't help suspecting that the 3315kg limit is the product of the vehicle weight plus 1200kg i.e. if the car could tow 1700kg then the GTW would appear much higher. It appears that the GTW is a result of the poor oil cooling?

What do you tow with your Signum?

Thank you once again for throwing some light onto this and any additional advice re' the pressurised/non pressurised issue would be much appreciated.

In a matter of a few minutes I've gone from pricing a Volvo V70 to the idea of refitting my towbar!
    Regards
    solarvec

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Smile Vectra V6 CDTi Auto-Towing Limit/Oil Cooler

Big-Bri

Below is the advice as received from Kenlowe:

Thank you for your enquiry. If your vehicle is fitted with a tiptronic style auto gearbox i.e. button override for manual control on steering or gearlever then you will not be able to fit auto gearbox cooler due to it usually being a high pressure system.
    If it has a conventional style gearbox with 2 pipes running from gearbox to OEM oil cooler i.e. low pressure system then you should be able to fit our unit.
    AT13LTA/ACG/STC Oil cooler for automatic gearbox; complete with pipes, fittings and comprehensive instructions for easy DIY installation.
    PRICE £107.40 + VAT = £126.20

Can you shed any more light onto this?

Thank you
    Regards
    solarvec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information