Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Tyre problem – defective or not

Bought a pair of Avon ZV3s’ 215/50/17 95W Extra load tryes in April 2007 from National Tyres and Autocare. Was looking at them at the weekend and noticed that there are diagonal fine cuts (about 20mm spacing, on both tyres across the directional bit of the tread, all the way round the tyre – .
    The tyres are 10 months old, around 3.7mm tread left, and have been on the front since fitted.

Went to see the garage over the weekend and phoned the manager today when he was back in office (although he was supposed to call me back). Thought it would be a no-brainer that they would be replaced but was advised that the only option was for them to be sent back to Avon to establish if it was a manufacturer’s defect.

National Tyres would not accept any responsibility for resolving the problem – but would give me around 15% discount (which you can normally get with haggling) on a set of new ones while the tyres got sent back. I would then get compensation direct from Avon.

I know some of you on this site are tyre experts and I was wondering if it is unrealistic for a fitting station (with a tyre franchise) to make a call on whether a tyre has a defect. I thought it was a realistic competency for an experienced fitter to identify a problem with a tyre.

I was shocked when the Manager went on to explain about sunlight damaging the rubber – I said I have never seen this before on a 10 month old tyre and he stated that that was only when the tyre was sold. Translating that I get you bought it 10 months ago but we don’t know its history before that. More importantly this is Scotland, we don’t get crazy sunny weather – maybe they are only meant to be used at night.

I’m glad I’m writing this now as it would have been in capitals earlier in the day.

The documentation says that a tyre would be sent back to the manufacture for evaluation but I expected a fairer deal on replacing them – there is no sharing of the problem.

Am I being too cynical that the tyres go back to Avon and they say that there is nothing wrong with them, and I am the one who has lost out by replacing the tyres when there is a fair amount of tread left.

I’m not going to buy tyres from the same place but should I bite my tongue and take back the tyres or deal with Avon direct.

I paid for the tyres by credit card but not sure if I have any comeback there – but maybe the small print means the only option is to send the tyre back to Avon.

Thoughts?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They look damaged to me?, I heard Avon are a pretty reasonable company to deal with, so why not try contacing them direct yourself, you`ve nothing to loose?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVV View Post
    They look damaged to me?, I heard Avon are a pretty reasonable company to deal with, so why not try contacing them direct yourself, you`ve nothing to loose?
    Would prefer to not go back to the fitter on principal – but was not sure if I am cutting my own nose off.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

personaly i would get them sent back to avon, as i have seen this before when i have work in tyre garages. what they will do is send them back to avon for them to investigate the situation for a verdict and if its their fault then they will reinburse you tha difference depending on how much tread is left at the time, this can also be a lenght of time so be patient and hang in there . hope this helps you in any way

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

im in the tyre trade mate and we have to send all defective tyres back to the manufacturer,hope this helps.
    ps take photos of the tyres before you send them back!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by glynn View Post
    personaly i would get them sent back to avon, as i have seen this before when i have work in tyre garages. what they will do is send them back to avon for them to investigate the situation for a verdict and if its their fault then they will reinburse you tha difference depending on how much tread is left at the time, this can also be a lenght of time so be patient and hang in there . hope this helps you in any way
    TA for the feedback glynn, thats the position the garage are taking - I thought they would have had some scope to do a deal on replacement since I got them from them (customer service etc.) - but I guess I am being unrealistic

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There will be a 4 letter code on the tyre sidewall, something like 5007 - week 50, year 2007. That will be the production date. its somewhere near the load rating, it will be in a ovalish shape, about 5mm high letters. All their tyres are stored indoors so I doubt it will be from UV light. They have something like a 4 year shelf life. The company "AVON Tyres" is now "Cooper Avon Tyres", bath road, melksham Wiltshire. HTH
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by littlesxi View Post
    im in the tyre trade mate and we have to send all defective tyres back to the manufacturer,hope this helps.
    ps take photos of the tyres before you send them back!
    Ah well, Ta for info. Not grumping over having to send them back - but did not expect to be replacing both tyres at the moment and paying almost full price make it more annoying.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Swatty View Post
    TA for the feedback glynn, thats the position the garage are taking - I thought they would have had some scope to do a deal on replacement since I got them from them (customer service etc.) - but I guess I am being unrealistic
    like you said, they are giving you some discount not alot but some try and get a bit more its worth a try. the garage stil has to buy them in so you will still have to buy new ones, just the way they work, some times it can be sorted out in week sometime months but good luck what ever happens

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    There will be a 4 letter code on the tyre sidewall, something like 5007 - week 50, year 2007. That will be the production date. its somewhere near the load rating, it will be in a ovalish shape, about 5mm high letters. All their tyres are stored indoors so I doubt it will be from UV light. They have something like a 4 year shelf life. The company "AVON Tyres" is now "Cooper Avon Tyres", bath road, melksham Wiltshire. HTH
    Thanks for info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information