Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Admin

This isn't a dig, I'm not having a go, I'm just interested....Duncan (quite rightly I must add) just closed a thread which was discussing an illegal topic, i.e. downloading music for free....

But at what point to admin decide that a healthy discussion about an illegal topic, speeding, getting off tickets, etc...becomes a topic which cannot be discussed any longer?!

If I had worded the thread "does anyone download music for free?" and not asked for a link to any websites...would that have been OK?

Please don't ban me, I'm just curious (and I don't mean Bi-Curious)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

For example, there are often threads where people tell other people where they can go to have their front windows tinted.....this is illegal....now as serious I know, but to the letter of the law?!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In all fairness, discussing such topics should be fine, the problems arise when people start asking for or posting links etc. to such sites i would have thought.

I have nothing to do with admin on this site btw, i do however a bit of moderating for a completely different site which is not car related.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes I agree, my other thread should have been banned because I was asking for illegal information.....but what about the point above?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You slightly misunderstand - it's not the discussion of doing anything illegal that we have a problem with as such. If somebody is daft enough to post up saying "I was doing 100mph on a certain road last night", well that's their own stupidity and potential evidence for any authorities - especially if they were even more stupid enough to post up a video on YouTube for example - as people sometimes do (not from here necessarily) and have had it used against them as evidence.

What we, the forum, have a zero tolerance approach to is discussion of copyright related stuff i.e. copying DVDs/CDs etc. and ways and means and specific software for enabling this, links to sites which are illegal downloads - be it music, video etc. and any discussion of the copying of copyrighted material.

The reason for this is very simple - discussion of this topic can get you, and us, into hot water if certain people see this and we're being seen as 'allowing' this topic of conversation - which we don't. It's happened on other forums - believe me. Discussion was being 'allowed' (i.e. not actively cracked down on) on discussion of copying DVDs etc. Trading Standard and FACT were watching the forum and deemed that the Admin, and Mods!, were allowing this discussion - simply it being left on the forum with no intervention. Subsequently their houses were later raided by TS.

I, nor any of the other Mods, have any desire to have our houses raided because we were deemed to 'allow' the discussion of this sort of topic - therefore we have a Zero Tolerance policy on it and a firm and robust attitude to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    If I had worded the thread "does anyone download music for free?" and not asked for a link to any websites...would that have been OK?
    No, not really - as the only places you can do that are from illegal sites. Even if there were no links, it's still us 'allowing' the discussion of the topic. If you'd posted up originally "What are the best value legal download sites" kinda thing, that'd be fine as it would be a discussion about places like iTunes, Napster (now that it's a legal site) and so on.

I hope that explains it better.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Agreed about the CD/DVD copying...but what about asking for names of tinters etc is this any different?

p.s. stop hitting 'd' instead of 's', I keep having to read your paragraphs twice!

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Graeme's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We basically need to be careful with this as if links get posted etc we could be liable as site owners / administrators for allowing these to be published on our forums.

There are units of the police that check websites and ip addresses for downloads and links etc and we have a moderator who has had personal experience of being investigated for this so in short that is why we do not allow such threads.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    Agreed about the CD/DVD copying...but what about asking for names of tinters etc is this any different?
    Yep, completely different. Allowing discussion about tinters, for example, is not going to get anyone into bother - tinting is not an illegal topic. A member could go to a tinter and just get the rears/back done - all perfectly legal. If they chose to get the fronts done too, then they have made themselves liable to being stopped by the Police. If they post up saying they've had the fronts done, then they're just advertising the fact. None of that is going to get the Admin or Mods into trouble.

It's the specific topic of copyright stuff that can get us into trouble, and that's why we have a firm and robust attitude to it. Being seen to allow discussion of illegal downloads, copying etc. will get us into trouble as it can be, and has been, interpreted as an organised group of people discussing about, and involved in, illegal copying etc. That's why TS get involved, along with Police support and the backing of FACT.

Allowing people to talk about tinting etc. simply won't get us into any trouble, as it's a completely different thing.

The local dealers if driving my old Vectra
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can I just say you need to watch for links to free an open sites like Utube.... but even there some is authrised ( like the BBC ) and some are not..... then you have BBC Iplayer sites etc etc....

Terran

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

You can Google a topic totally unrelated to cars and you would be surprised how many Car forums threads it brings up. If I was to put "downloading from ****wire" for instance, a link to the thread would pop up on a Google search, it may be pages down but it would still pop up. Its that easy for official eyes to catch on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information