Thread: knocking noise please help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default knocking noise please help

hi guys havent posted much due to the fact i have had nothing wrong with my vectra c 2.0dti
    but today i jet washed my motor paying more attention to my alloy wheels then as i was driving away i have a knocking sound coming from the front
    i know it must have something to do with the wheels as it gets faster when i speed up and the lower the speed the banging slows down but gets louder also slight clunks in reverse or when i brake

i have no lights or warnings to indicate a problem
    also no knocking or rattles when car is stationairy

my friend suggested the brake caliper guard is bent but thats aluminium and the bangs are a lot louder hope he's right

any way please help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

wheel off time and examine the tyre for something in it, then work your way back up the hub/driveshaft assy to see what amiss..thats my guess for where it's coming from

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if you have stick on balancing weights you have probably rubbed them off when you have been cleaning your wheels,just have a look around the inside of your rim and pull them off if you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by littlesxi View Post
    if you have stick on balancing weights you have probably rubbed them off when you have been cleaning your wheels,just have a look around the inside of your rim and pull them off if you have.
    please explain more mate
    but also noise is intermit not all the time just when its warm id say
    also when changing gear andapply acceleration theres a bang this could be the same noise but to me sounds ike a mount please advise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

you may have just answered you own question.. have a look at the condition/security of the front and rear engine mounts..the cross bolts may have worked loose..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

what's the motor like when steering is on full lock, it might be worth having the cv joints checked

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    you may have just answered you own question.. have a look at the condition/security of the front and rear engine mounts..the cross bolts may have worked loose..
    would that have the effect of knocking whilst driving and the noise going to the tempo of the wheels or is it totally different mate thanks is their any fool proof guides for where to check for these mounts im a vectra newbie first one ive owned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the mounts are located on the front and back of the engine and join the engine to the subframe..the knocking while driving yet not stationary still makes me think it's a rotating driveline component..it needs professional checking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Vectra 2.2dti crank pulley, tensioner or what? (noise)

Hi, my first post, so hello everybody!
    I recently had my crankshaft pulley collapse, and after being replaced I had a horrible knocking/grumbling noise. I took it back (local garage), and they decided the broken pulley must have damaged the belt tensioner, so they replaced that.
    This was no different (the garage had only listened briefly, but you have to let the engine run for 20 seconds or so before the noise starts, after which it is there all the time at low revs - and disappears if you rev up).
    On taking off the tensioner to replace it again, the one coming off was absolutely shot - but the new one they were about to fit also looked bad, with play in the bushes at each end. My garage spoke to the main dealer (Bristol Street Motors of Chesterfield), and "someone" said there had been problems with this part.
    Another one was supplied and fitted, with no improvement, so the Main Dealer told my local garage to send me to them so they could investigate. I took it there, and they said yes, the tensioner was the problem, and they replaced it again.
    However, when I collected the car, it was no different. They had not listened long enough for the noise to start - and (though they booked it in again) they wouldn't come out of the door to listen!!
    I took it back to them again yesterday, and was told by phone this morning that the problem now was NOT the tensioner, but they didn't know what was the problem. They wanted to replace an idler (at about £380) to see if it was that, then the compressor (at £850) if replacing the idler didn't do it. They could not give me any idea how far they might have to go to establish what was the problem, only that I would have to pay for anything they did.
    It has cost me several hundred pounds so far, and now the Main Dealer has charged me £45 to diagnose the problem - yet they have not diagnosed the problem, they just want ablank cheque to fix it by an elimination process...
    Now where do I go? P/ex the car quickly? It's a 2003 Vectra Elite.
    Any comments would be very welcome.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks to all that replied
    got it sorted in the end this forum is a credit to all vx owners
    to add the problem i was having
    the previous owner hadnt fitted a brake pad to the front drivers side also the wheel was very very loose

thanks again

Thread Information