User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AM2 Motherboard to overclock?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default AM2 Motherboard to overclock?????

Can anyone recommend a good am2 motherboard for overclocking??

I'm particularly looking for one that allows, amongst the other features, HT multiplier changing - as I have been reading up that 250mhz with a 4x will give good stability on an AMD 4200+ X2.

I would prefer to stay on air so will be leaving the core voltage alone as much as possible.

Any recommendations??

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Right well i'm using a Gigabyte S Series board the GA-M55S-S3, running the X2 4200+ CHIP.
    The beauty with these S Series boards is the rugged overclocking abilities it has,it comes with over clocking software on board as part of the Bios,probably you'll know how much more stable this is to running a GUI based overclocking application(if you can get one to work!!!)
    I'm currently running the chip with no core voltage change at a steady 2246.5mhz or a total of 4493mhz to be fair if i wanted to i could easily take her upto the 5mhz point if i so wished but find the current overclock has given me nice performance increases whilst protecting the longevity of the chip,not that should be a problem either as i'm running the Gigabyte Rocket Pro cooling tower,fitted directly over the chip,and holding a temp of around 46c no matter what i'm doing at the time. I'm also running the Nvidia 7600gs over clocked with Riva Tuner.(would stay well clear of the Nvidia tuner!!) That is also air cooled,and with two steel ball bearing fans to the side and front of the case,it's kept well cool under the hood!
    And best of all it's quiet! lol
    I Cant speak well enough of these S-Series boards,they are so reliable,and if you do get to carried away with overclocking they can handle it no problem!
    Infact when i first started playing with the board I destroyed a hard drive whilst the board remained unscathed! lol Great stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for that mate,

I will only consider bios based overclocking, as you say, proves the most stable.

What options does the s series give for changing?? CPU multiplier, ref clock and ht multiplier are the areas I would want to tweak to start with.

My aim - although specific hardware dependent is to run 240hz with an 11x cpu and ht 4x. to give 4800 mhz - i am led to believe this should be quite stable.

Thanks
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i have the abit kn9 and find it to be very good and cheap. it has cpu clock, multiplier settings to change and ht frequency between 1x and 5x
    Last edited by simon5800; 6th February 2008 at 20:37.

Thread Information