Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default CDC40 Stereo Aux-in

I think this may be possible.

I installed a phone kit at the weekend. At one point, I had the head unit completely wired in with the exception of the DAB-R, DAB-L and DAB-GND lines.

As far as the head-unit was concerned, the DAB was still working - there was just no sound. This leads me to believe that the head unit communicates with the DAB controller via CAN and that the DAB connections are simply analogue audio.

So if you can do without DAB, all you would need to do is break the existing DAB connections and connect them to an inline 3.5mm stereo socket instead. Alternatively, you could fit a changeover switch or relay so that you could choose between DAB and the external source.

Disclaimer...

This is just based on a single observation. I have NOT actually tried this. So don't go blaming me if it doesn't work or damages something. FWIW, if I was interested in pursuing this, I would probably first try connecting the incoming DAB connections to a cheap pair of POWERED speakers to confirm that it is analogue audio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think the CDC40 is the only unit that is 100% NOT capable of taking in an AUX. I have a new Astra with CDC40 and it is the only unit in the range that Vauxhall do not offer AUX input.

CD70 Yes, CD30 yes all have AUX input, but not CDC40. I am sure at some point it will be figured out but at this stage it is not possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I think the CDC40 is the only unit that is 100% NOT capable of taking in an AUX. I have a new Astra with CDC40 and it is the only unit in the range that Vauxhall do not offer AUX input.

CD70 Yes, CD30 yes all have AUX input, but not CDC40. I am sure at some point it will be figured out but at this stage it is not possible.
    I know Vauxhall don't offer it, but what I'm saying is that it may be physically possible to implement your own Aux-in using the DAB inputs. From what I can see, the DAB tuner is basically just an external source which feeds stereo analogue audio to the head unit. If you replace that analogue feed with your own, you should be able to hear it when you select the DAB tuner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I tried to connect an external audio source to DAB inputs selecting DAB tuner but no results. I don't have the DAB box and on the display print out "DAB box error". So, I think that it is not possible to use DAB inputs as AUX-in without to have the DAB box receiver connected. Maybe, the CDC 40 checks the DAB box and disable the DAB inputs if it is not present.
    This is my opinion, do you have other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Makes sense, you can use the inputs from a multichanger in the same way (we do this in the grilfriends smart, just swap cables between the multichanger and mp3 player)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Flaninacupboard View Post
    Makes sense, you can use the inputs from a multichanger in the same way (we do this in the grilfriends smart, just swap cables between the multichanger and mp3 player)
    I don't understand. Colud you please be a little bit more explicit. How to use the DBA inputs without DAB box?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You need the DAB box for this to work.

Basically, you select DAB on the head-unit but connect something else to the DAB inputs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    You need the DAB box for this to work.

Basically, you select DAB on the head-unit but connect something else to the DAB inputs.
    OK, that is also my understanding. From where I can find an DAB box? Do you sow something on ebay? I have to connect the original DAB box from Vauxhall or I can connect other receiver with CAN interface. If you know, could you please provide me more information .

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Dealer would be the best bet as no doubt the thing would be tech 2'd to the car so cant just be put in , you will also need the looms for the DAB side of things , The DAB box lives at the end of the passengerside fusebox near the baulkhead and is held with 3 10mm bolts

Thread Information