User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help-Antiroll bar bushes fitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

WELL Mine didn't have 2 bolts and a U clip.....actually it did have a U clip but only 1 bolt and the top was a lip on the U clamp and slotted into a hole on the chasis. What an absolute nightmare to work with. Ended up having to use 2 jacks 1 on the car (axle stand too) and 1 to then lift the anti roll bar back up while i tried to manipulate the clamp back into the locating hole. If it was 2 holes i'd have been laughing.

On the early models is this the way the bush was fitted or is it only on the 3,2??? hope i never have to do that again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by installer View Post
    Well as some may know by my recent posts I`ve the front end clunk.So drop links or anti-roll bar mounting bushes.
    Vxl quoted me £278 for drop links and anti-roll bar bushes.
    So I got the parts to do myself with assistance of retired mechanic friend.
    Drop links look very easy in effect just nuts to tighten etc - is there a correct torque wrench setting for thses or is not applicable?

BUT after reading - own worst enemy that - and then talking to an independant garage-it suggests that the front subframe needs to come off - which needs a jig to put back correctly.Then once thats done the car needs it`s tracking etc done.All to replce 2 rubber bushes that cost £5.

Then I came across this posted by the site mechanical messiah GSI3.2
    "Top Tip..if you're changing the anti roll bar bushes yourself..disconnect BOTH sides of the antiroll bar links first, then just work on one end at a time..slacken the rear of the two mounting bolts and leave it in, but fully remove the front bolt as it's easy to get to with a long extension bar from the top of the engine bay..then slide the bar and it's hoop forward, remove the hoop, swap the bush and push the assy back into the rear bolt, refit the front bolt and tighten the back.. easy as pie, but access is poor.."
    Is this true?
    Pain in the rear but can be done without removing subframe and the need to get it tracked etc?

so can anyone help me
    I will need this to have a go at the ARB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yep, it's fiddly but quite easy..... you 100% deffo do not need to lower or remove the subframe..

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Thats the only thing left to do on mine,so if you do it this way the antiroll bar will slot straight back into place and there will be no need to jig,in the haynes manual it says something about marking where the bushes were and using new bolts do you still need to do this

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

nope, because you are only changing one side at a time the other still retains the bar in it's lateral position.....you could buy some slightly longer M8 bolts if you wish.. it'll make it easier to get the clip back down over the new bush....

Haynes manual..

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    nope, because you are only changing one side at a time the other still retains the bar in it's lateral position.....you could buy some slightly longer M8 bolts if you wish.. it'll make it easier to get the clip back down over the new bush....

Haynes manual..

Cool ive looked at my bushes when i changed my suspension and i think someone has put the wrong size bushes in as theres a lot of movement up and down and you can see where the bar has moved as its rubbed a clear spot on the bar,as there's only 2 sizes of bushes i think i will try the smaller ones

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i'm having real trouble getting to the back bolt, there's not even enough space to get a socket over the head of the bolt nevermind anything else.

can anyone shed any light on this for me? was it a ratchet and socket job to get to the back bolt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

nope, use a 10mm ring spanner and just slacken it enough to slide the clip out.. don't fully remove it or it's a nightmare to get back in...(or is it just my fat fingers? ) ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    nope, use a 10mm ring spanner and just slacken it enough to slide the clip out.. don't fully remove it or it's a nightmare to get back in...(or is it just my fat fingers? ) ...
    ended up using the ramp next door and dropping the subframe enough to get better access. i'm glad i'll never have to do it again, and it's cured that awful crunching noise, which is good.

did the steering rods at the same time seeing as it was up the air.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What size do these ARB bushes come in coz iv measured the ARB and its 83mm around where the bar goes into the bush? Im gonna do the work over the weekend but need to know the correct size bush needed! Any1 know what size is fitted to the SXI/SRI 54 plates?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information