User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will the Tuning boxes kill my ECU????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Grand Sport

Trim : SRI VX-LINE NAV

Engine : 1.5T (165)

Year : 2018

Mileage : 37000

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Yeah, it's a real rip-off when they buy each car, develop each map from scratch on dynos and the open road, spend a huuuge amount of hours developing them, with staff, equipment and overheads to pay for to deliver a quality product with a customer service to match. Yep, they're obviously ripping us off!!!
    Agreed. I certainly don't feel ripped off. The £500 my BSR Stage 1 Remap cost me was worth every penny and it would have cost me a great deal more to change to a more powerful Vectra, and in any case I wanted to keep the one I've got. No-one on this forum has suggested that the BSR remaps have directly or indirectly caused engine problems, which is not the case with tuning boxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    about 530 quid from LMF. I'm realy tempted. I want to have a go in a bsr mapped 1.9 and see what i'm going to get.

Shan, fancy a race, no only joking, i need to meet you about this exhaust and you can have a go of mine.

AND YOU WILL WANT ONE AFTERWARDS, LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by _ZS_ View Post
    £588 - fricking rip-off for a £50 piece of hardware and a bit of software. I'd rather pay a proper tuning company like Regal or the Vauxhall Performance Centre less money for a remap. I mean, other than the ability to remove and replace the remap, what's the advantage of the BSR?

BSR - for the obsessive compulsive!
    How do you work that the out, for starters you would have to get a ferry so that and your re-map would cost a mint

The other thing you have to bear in mind is every time you get newsoftware, service, warranty work etc you may loose the map and have to travel half way across the uk to get it re-map.

I just plug my little bsr gizmo in and way hay happy days.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just noticed your edits to your earlier reply....
    I'd rather pay a proper tuning company like Regal or the Vauxhall Performance Centre less money for a remap.
    Well if you're not classing BSR as a proper tuning company then you really are talking a load of bollox. Do VXRPC develop their own maps from scratch? Nope, they use EDS ones. Do Regal? Nope, they also use EDS ones. Guess what - yep, BSR develop their maps from scratch along with all the development costs that go into that. As mushy said, you'd end up with an expensive map if you took the car all the way from Belfast to Regal or VXRPC!!
    I mean, other than the ability to remove and replace the remap, what's the advantage of the BSR?
    Err, durr! You've just partly answered your question for starters. What else, oh yeah - a quality product as good as, if not better, than anything from VXRPC or Regal. Power/torque claims not over inflated. Superb customer service. Ability to download new/updated/tweaked maps from BSR and put them into the car - instead of another trip to some tuning place somewhere.

Take a comparable product from Regal - the EDS IPF system. An EDS remap in a mapping unit like the BSR PPC. Cost - £569. So are they ripping people off too? Surely not - not if they're a proper tuning company! Oh, and there's one little issue - nobody's been able to buy one of these units as they keep promising them but never delivered!!! Hence why a few guys ended up cancelling their orders and getting the BSR one.

Your comments really are laughable as you obviously haven't got a clue who BSR are and what their products are all about. Not sure why I even wasted my time replying to your post - but hey ho I have now.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i think a map is a cheaper option short term but i'd rather bsr,just being able to plug it in your self and see the changes and if for any reason want it back to standard you can straight away,just wondering if a new map come available in future could that possibly have mre bhp,sounds excellent,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Tuning box = stress the nuts out of everything, imagine 20 yrs ago, advancing the timing and setting the carb rich = tuining box, if you want more powah get it mapped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRi

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2011

Dosent a tuning box do the same as a remap (sorry if its a dumb question)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A tuning box has one function only...to fool the high pressure fuelpump into thinking the injector rail is low on pressure and to raise it's internal pressure above the standard manufacturers figure... thats it...

A Remap alters many many more of the cars engine parameters like increasing the DPF regen cycle ( if you have one fitted), altering the injection pulse time ( how the fuel is delivered and how much) monitors how the fuel is being burnt , alters the turbo controls etc etc..

the early tuning boxes where nothing more than a variable resistor, or in the case of a caterman a fixed value resistor...now they have gone 'digital' it's done by a chip, but it's still just the same effect 'conning' the ecu..

Boxes 'fight' the car and the car has to cope with it's results.. a remap is more sympathetic as it alters everything to keep a balance...it's just that tuning box firms may not necesarily want to tell you this..the technology is old hat now compared to a remap...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    A tuning box has one function only...to fool the high pressure fuelpump into thinking the injector rail is low on pressure and to raise it's internal pressure above the standard manufacturers figure... thats it...

A Remap alters many many more of the cars engine parameters like increasing the DPF regen cycle ( if you have one fitted), altering the injection pulse time ( how the fuel is delivered and how much) monitors how the fuel is being burnt , alters the turbo controls etc etc..

the early tuning boxes where nothing more than a variable resistor, or in the case of a caterman a fixed value resistor...now they have gone 'digital' it's done by a chip, but it's still just the same effect 'conning' the ecu..

Boxes 'fight' the car and the car has to cope with it's results.. a remap is more sympathetic as it alters everything to keep a balance...it's just that tuning box firms may not necesarily want to tell you this..the technology is old hat now compared to a remap...
    Agree entirely, I have a Caterman box on ATM and it's a half way house, but I intend to have the remap soon.

I haven't had any problems and I'm please with the performance, but as most of you have said the BSR remap is probably the best option for the Vectra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRi

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2011

thanks gsi good explanation

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast