Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Battery Light comes on after 3 minutes of Driving

Hi, This problem started this morning, As I was returning from the school run the Battery Light came on on the Dash, It never went back out for the rest of the journey, I used the car 4 times for the rest oif today, Evert time the car was started the light went out upon start up as it should but came on after 3 minutes of driving and remained on for the whole journey, If I stalled the car whilst rolling and then jumped it back off the light would come on after around 3 minutes again,

I drove into a Motosave for a Free Battery Check, They tell me the Alternator is not charging enough and will need replacing, and that my battery will also need replacing,
    They Quoted £453.03,
    £363.04 for the Alternator and £89.99 for the Battery,

Does this sound about right or should I drive to another garage for a 2nd opinion on the Fault?.

Thanks for reading, Bren

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Bren.. there is a recall on SOME of the 1.9 CDTi's for faulty alternators...

I would do NOTHING until i'd called vx to see if your car is under the recall notice ( free alternator as it's under recall, warranty doesn't matter)..and then decide..

BTW, the battery is dear and so is the alternator..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had the exacxt same problem, trouble is matters got worse for me as the car cut out and wouldn't restart on a dark unlit busy A road on the coldest of Winters nights.

It was my alternator also, unfortunately not a recall one.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It was the final nail in the coffin for our old one...one expense too far..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi, Thanks for the replies, regrettably, I did not get an email to tell me I had had repiles so all day I have been worrying,
    BUT
    I just logged on to find the easiest way to remove the alternator for a refurb and saw the replies to this post,
    I rang Vauxhall and My Vin no is one that has got a recall on it, So They have booked me in for it looking at under recall,
    They tell me that even though the alternator may be faulty, they will not replace the battery as I cannot prove that the faulty alternator caused the battery to discharge and damage,
    THANK YOU for the Help, Once again, your replies have been invaluable (sp)
    I really appreciate the speed and positive comments given,
    Kind regards Brendan

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000

Just maybe the battery does not need replacing, you know what garages are like! Wait until the alternator is replaced then get the dealer to check the battery.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : CDTi 150

Year : 55

Ive been the owner of a Vectra CDTi 150 just over two weeks, All I ever seem to read on this cars is problems, seems to be problem after problem, mine has 11 months manufacturers warranty left, should I get rid of the car?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks Merikiito, Good Advice there again.

Davidjs68

My GF says exactly the same thing and somtimes I think it as well,
    BUT, All Cars have problems, And all cars can be costly to fix,
    This forum brings these problems to the attention of many people as the forum is so big, It does not mean that cars such as Saab, Renault etc are problem free, but just that they do not have as much internet coverage as the Vauxhall,
    This site has brought together a few common faults and shared them with us so we can learn more about them rather than keep quiet,
    My Car has just had over £1,000 of work done at vauxhall a month ago, Because of the help on this website I got the work done for £330,
    I bought the car private and it is out of warranty, Without this website offering advice on the common problems I would have had to have paid full price,
    Now the Alternator / Battery needs repairing, Motosave Quoted me £453.03 but this website has brought to my attention that if I ring my main dealer And explain there may have been a recall that I may get it sorted for a lot less,
    Again, They were right about the recall for my actual car, Until Vauxhall have got the car I will not know if it will be replaced, But I Do know I was going to pay full price this afternoon before I logged on,

I will NOT be selling my Vauxhall, I love the Look and always get praise from passers by, and hopefully the problems I am having will soon dry up,
    Kind Regards Brendan

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : CDTi 150

Year : 55

Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    Thanks Merikiito, Good Advice there again.

Davidjs68

My GF says exactly the same thing and somtimes I think it as well,
    BUT, All Cars have problems, And all cars can be costly to fix,
    This forum brings these problems to the attention of many people as the forum is so big, It does not mean that cars such as Saab, Renault etc are problem free, but just that they do not have as much internet coverage as the Vauxhall,
    This site has brought together a few common faults and shared them with us so we can learn more about them rather than keep quiet,
    My Car has just had over £1,000 of work done at vauxhall a month ago, Because of the help on this website I got the work done for £330,
    I bought the car private and it is out of warranty, Without this website offering advice on the common problems I would have had to have paid full price,
    Now the Alternator / Battery needs repairing, Motosave Quoted me £453.03 but this website has brought to my attention that if I ring my main dealer And explain there may have been a recall that I may get it sorted for a lot less,
    Again, They were right about the recall for my actual car, Until Vauxhall have got the car I will not know if it will be replaced, But I Do know I was going to pay full price this afternoon before I logged on,

I will NOT be selling my Vauxhall, I love the Look and always get praise from passers by, and hopefully the problems I am having will soon dry up,
    Kind Regards Brendan
    Lets hope it doesnt cause too many problems fot you and I alike along with many other CDTi owners, I like mine also and would reluctantly get rid of.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Bad to Worse
    I went to collect the car yesterday afternoon, Once in the car I started it up, it misfired, and the accelerator pedal was very unresponsive, I could hold it at wide open throttle but the revs did not rise from tickover, I could play with the throttle to eventually persuade the revs to increase but releasing the clutch just killed off all the revs I had with hardly any movement of the car.

I walked back into the dealers and they told me to leave the car with them, although the fault is nothing they have done because they only fitted an alternator. They didn't even test my battery which I am not happy about, I told them the garage said it needed replacing.

They did not road test the car because the front tyres are illegal on the outer edge, I have two tyres booked at the garage but with the car problems have not been able to get the car to the garage, I told Vauxhall I would go collect the tyres myself if they would fit them as they could not get there price anywhere near the tyre garage price, They told me they would fit them for £46.99 !!!
    Two tyres !!! £46.99 !!!! I told them I wouldn't be doing that then.

Blimey......

I hope this is not going to be yet another scam by this garage after the problem I had with the EGR.

Regards Bren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information