Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs down Never Trust A Dealer!

Hi all!, thought I'd tell you about my saga! Bought my car 6 months ago from Redar vauxhall dealer. Was well happy with it at first (1.9cdti) a number of upgrades/ extras -wheels, body kit, AFL sat nav etc. Three of the wheels had been kerbed by the driver who happened to be the sales manger (car was the dealers demo)So they repaired them! Anyway after a month or so the gearbox felt notchy in 2nd and 3rd but nothing to bad thought I can live with that for a while till I get it serviced.Then I spotted the wheels that had been repaired were a different silver and the repair quality was ****! Again can live with that until I get it serviced!
    Then the final straw, cleaned - waxed car on Tue gone and then spotted a dull patch on the passengers side roof above the pillar, good job the sun was shining! Strange I thought ,missed a bit of wax - no it was the tell tale sign of a repair to the car! Further inspection showed the door pillar was the same (no lacquar) And there was signs of repair to the top of the roof under the hatch!!! Funny is'nt how they forgot to tell about any of this when I bought the car!!
    Took car in this morning and found out from the lassy on the desk that the car had a 'scrape' down the side!!
    Now I'm waiting to hear from them - funny how theres never a manager around to speak to when you want one! All in a meeting I was told!
    Can anyone advise me on what I'm entiltled too? if anything? Should they have told me that the car was involved in an accident or not ?
    Cheers fed up Gary

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had the same on mine i`m afraid, found the tell tale dull patch on the drivers door, front wing has been replaced as well, spotted it a few weeks after buying the car, spoke to trading standards who said they don`t have to tell you. I also had the wrong locking nut with my wheels and a host of other problems, Basically there isn`t much you can do.

Sorry the news isnt better but I know how you feel mate ....

Very nice looking car by the way ....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't know if they have to tell you about any bumps/'prangs' it's had (unless you asked them) - but they do have to sell you a car 'of merchantable quality'. If they try and give you the 'well, you saw it before you bought it c**p' then that's bollox.

Give them hell, get hold of the Sales Directors balls and start to apply some pressure. Don't let go until he squeaks and they sort everything out to showroom quality!!

I'm guessing this is Drive Vauxhall on the Trunk Road? Haven't had any real experience with them except the odd spare/accessory etc.

Hope you get it sorted m8.

D

Norfolk 'n Good Drives : Signum 3.0 CDTi BHP : 229.8 Torque 344.9lb
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you had asked them the question directly prior to purchase, you could then have them under fit for purpose or misdescriptions. They will also state if they do come clean on it, that their bodyshop would have done the work and it is therefore under warrenty (normally a year) and can be repaired again.... properly this time. You can also ask to see the Network Q inspection for the vehicle, and ask where you stand on the anti corrosion warrenty now.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi gary

I also, got my car from that said dealer, about 6months ago, on the day i was picking mine up they were whacking sale stickers over a silver lightening vecci, it had irmy grills sat nav etc too., I asked about this car and i was told it was the sales managers.... so i presume its the same car.

Were the paintwork is dull, and possibly rough to the touch, is more than likely overspray of lacquer, a bit of g3 would soon have that sorted.

As for the gearbox, I also, had concerns, and the odd crunch, so I also went took it back, and was told its normal, and to be honest i didnít believe them. But now, Iíve grown used to it and it no longer crunches.

Back to your paint work issue, no they donít have to tell you if itís had a accident. Only if its on hpi.

However:
    I had a little trouble with a focus st170 I bought from Jennings yarm road, I bought a used 52plate, very pleased with it until I looked under the bonnet, then I found a 3rd headlight Ö yes third, jammed against the aux drive belt.

To cut a long story short, it was obviously accident damage so I went back, and found out that the sales guy stuffed it doing 50mph on the a66, after a long fight, I got a new car out of them.

So, if your not happy, tell them and tell them what you want, donít let them make decisions for you.

When I had trouble, I simply gave the 2 options, replace the car, or cancel the agreement.

I won in the end.
    Last edited by 2ltrT; 15th December 2005 at 17:34.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi all,
    Got car back tonight - you guessed it, couldnt find anything wrong with the gearbox, quote from tech 'they are all like that' Funny how when I mentioned it to him he said straight away 'is it six speed'!!!! I just think the gearbox should be smooth and not clucky - its mainly 3rd gear!

As for the accident, you guys were right quote from sales manager' we don't have to tell you only if it is HPI recorded'! The said accident was a scrape/ bump on the rear passenger wing, and the rough finish is over spray on the pillar (well done 2ltrT) as for the roof it seems that I'm looking after the car to well and because I'm polishing and waxing it , its cut the top coat back!!! So thats why I've not spotted before now
    As for the wheels if I'm happy with the paint work on the car they will get all four wheels repainted so they match - kind of a victory
    Left the sales manager by saying I will think about it but first I will seek advice from the legal authorities!!
    Just feel as it was their car they should have said something
    Still love the car gearbox and all!
    One bit of good news is they are willing to give me a replacement tyre (19 conti sport 2) at cost £110 normally £175 plus for your info. Is that a victory or not - I'm not sure.

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ceejay
    Don't take this the wrong way, but surely you checked the car over before you a) paid for it and b) took delivery of it? If I was parting with over £10k, I'd be examining everything on it!!

I checked my car over thouroughly before buying it, Who would check the locking nut fits before buying a car, Well me now *lol* live and learn, I think it would be worth while asking if you can wash and wax it prior to buying as well, this is when I felt the paint difference on mine, it is a very small patch on the bottom of the door shut so not really obvious but you could feel it when polishing. I got a very good deal on my car so would have bought it anyway if I had seen it, might have haggled slightly though .

Another option open to you is rejecting the car, you can legally do this if it is giving you a lot of trouble and not doing as it is supposed to. I threatened to do this with VX customer service and they changed their tune. I was told to write a list of everything I wanted sorted, put it to the garage and if there wasn`t a courtesy car available they would hire me one. I got the car back totally sorted ....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2008

Mileage : 31000

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza
    Hi all!, thought I'd tell you about my saga! Bought my car 6 months ago from Redar vauxhall dealer. Was well happy with it at first (1.9cdti) a number of upgrades/ extras -wheels, body kit, AFL sat nav etc. Three of the wheels had been kerbed by the driver who happened to be the sales manger (car was the dealers demo)So they repaired them! Anyway after a month or so the gearbox felt notchy in 2nd and 3rd but nothing to bad thought I can live with that for a while till I get it serviced.Then I spotted the wheels that had been repaired were a different silver and the repair quality was ****! Again can live with that until I get it serviced!
    Then the final straw, cleaned - waxed car on Tue gone and then spotted a dull patch on the passengers side roof above the pillar, good job the sun was shining! Strange I thought ,missed a bit of wax - no it was the tell tale sign of a repair to the car! Further inspection showed the door pillar was the same (no lacquar) And there was signs of repair to the top of the roof under the hatch!!! Funny is'nt how they forgot to tell about any of this when I bought the car!!
    Took car in this morning and found out from the lassy on the desk that the car had a 'scrape' down the side!!
    Now I'm waiting to hear from them - funny how theres never a manager around to speak to when you want one! All in a meeting I was told!
    Can anyone advise me on what I'm entiltled too? if anything? Should they have told me that the car was involved in an accident or not ?
    Cheers fed up Gary
    hi mate i take its got the network q warranty im sure it say that a network q cars have never been in a crash or a bump i might be wrong trying to find my documents on this or its changed now. i think it says that all discerepancies have to be reported within 30 days after the sale

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hello mate i had loads of grief with a 1.8 bought at the beginning of this year my advice is to put any concerns in writing that way it can't come back to bite you on the bum and no one can say you said this that or the other. i asked for an exchange and when i got one six months later i was told "but you've had it for six months" i produced a letter where i asked them to exchange it after three weeks, their argument was blown out of the water and i got an extremely generous part ex against my SRI. even if you don't gain anything now it will be insurance against problems which may show up later.
    my six speed box is slightly notchy in 2nd and 3rd too hope this helps

Thread Information