Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Iphone as car stereo/satnav

Am I alone in thinking it would be a no brainer for a stereo manufacturer to engineer a unit that allows the Iphone to dock onto it (in landscape) like a removable fascia?

As the Iphone would then be a touch screen phone, music, movies and potentially satnav solution all sitting within a very slim, stylish form it seems absolutely ideal.

I believe BMW have cottoned on to the idea, but anyone with any great knowledge of ICE (not me, then) tell us if manufacturers have seen the potential of the Iphone as a superb gui/do it all solution?

If the standard Vectra stereo had an aftermarket unit such as this available, and a tidy blanking plate to have the Iphone recessed nice and flush in landscape mode whilst docked in the car, I would be running to get one as fast as my little legs could carry me! (or I may just take the car!)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Land Rover are featuring it in their LRX concept car - http://lrx.landrover.com - where the iPhone actually integrates into the car and becomes the Start button using the touch screen!

Hmm, not so sure meself. What if the iPhone goes belly up, crashes etc., - you're knackered! lol I somehow doubt if a car manufacturer would let what is basically an entertainment device have such a crucial role in a car. I know it's a concept, but I can't see the iPhone making it into that sort of integration in a car. Also, Apple etc. are constantly changing the design, size, spec etc. of these devices - especially one that's a phone - so they'll never be able to have it integrated like it's shown there, things change too much and too often. Plus it's an Apple, so it'll take over your car and give you no control or ability to customise!

EDIT: Click on the Design tab on the site, then 'Interior Panache' hot spot on the windscreen to the see the iPod and iPhone stuff.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What I was merely thinking was slightly less than this. Ok, perhaps not having the cars computer entirely dependant upon the Iphone display for the reasons you've mentioned, but essentially someone bringing out a unit that is just like the touch screen behemoth devices we see at the moment.

Only, instead of a hard wired screen on the unit via an internal ribbon cable, surely there would be a way of making the Iphone that screen, whilst also being able to keep things as discreet as possible with the inards (no more pokey out DVD/screen systems!) such is the power contained within the Iphone itself.

I really think this would be a no brainer for a company. In fact, what would stop them expanding on this concept and tweaking the model to accept differing PDA's etc, though admittedly they wouldn't be as clean a solution as the Iphone.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm sure they could, and probably will, offer it as the, or one of the, display methods within the entertainment system. I think they'd have to get around the problem of models changing and them having to be able to accommodate those to fit nicely.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

Would you really want to use an Iphone screen for satnav? or control of your incar entertainment? I love gadgets but cannot see the point in it.. looking at a small iphone screen whilst driving would be nuts..
    Knowing apple they will keep changing the iphone design and vehicle makers wouldn't be able to keep up with the differing styles of iphone available..
    Buy a toughbook laptop, they've had touchscreen laptops out for years now
    and find a way of integrating that into the car..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Pete View Post
    Would you really want to use an Iphone screen for satnav? or control of your incar entertainment? I love gadgets but cannot see the point in it..
    Nope, me neither - that's what I was meaning. I certainly won't be buying an iPhone in it's current guise for sure. FFS, it hasn't even got 3G!! or the ability to take a memory card of any sort, and it's meant to be the latest all-singing all-dancing combined device. Other manufacturers had similar, and better, devices out long before Apple did - but as is often the case with a lot of things, if you hype it up enough/shout it enough from the rooftops that it's the next best thing, people will start to believe so - even when it's not! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Pete View Post
    Knowing apple they will keep changing the iphone design and vehicle makers wouldn't be able to keep up with the differing styles of iphone available..
    Yep, exactly what I said above. Even if it was 'only' used in the car as a display/infotainment device, they'd have a hard job getting it to fit in neatly and allowing for design changes in size/spec/position of docking connectors etc. - and as you said, it's not exactly a huge screen to have for watching things on. I think the large flip-up screens we see nowadays will be around for a while longer.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I think the large flip-up screens we see nowadays will be around for a while longer.
    Totally agree Duncan... Aren't most flippy screens with satnav in cars touchscreen now anyway?? i thinks it more to do with safety whilst driving than the novelty of just a touchscreen, in the same way that tomtom & garmins etc have touch screens,
    I can't see the likes of kenwood & pioneer etc giving up a huge market share and just giving way to the iphone...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The iPHONE does not have Sat Nav, But I do agree, head Units need some kind of compatible cable, even if its just a Jack Input on the front, or a dedicated RCA input on the rear that is an AUX input, I have tried connecting via RCA before and have picked up lots of engine interferance.
    Kind Regards bren

Thread Information