Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Lexus is 220d

Hi Everyone,

As I said, I've had a Lexus is 220 today, here are my thoughts:-

Looks wise its good, not fantastic but it looks quite sporty & classy, although the body is a bit "tall". I don't know whether it's me though but they ALL look the same! (I didn't bother with pics due to this)

Inside is fantastic, with beautiful instruments, trim & upholstery, you really feel it's something special when you get in.

The start sequence (button operated) is incredible, the lights come on in a pattern, the needles on the dials light up & swoop right across, then back, then it fires up. Amazing!

Ride wise, again it's superb, very quiet, it rides similar to our cls at work, which is brilliant. I could not get it to feel unsteady at all, & it soaks the bumps up. It has the perfect balance of stiffness & "give" so it doesn't crash & thump.

The engine is very smooth & quieter than the vec at tick over, about the same under load & maybe slightly noisier if you’re giving it some. It pulls well & feels relaxed even if you hammer it.

If you cruise around making chilled out to moderate pace, it is the best car I've been in for the cash.

So it's excellent then.......

BUT

It has the following flaws that rule the car out for me:-

Firstly, it is way, way, way too thirsty. I averaged 26mpg!!!!!. Holy cr@p, that wasn't hammering all the time either, I promise. I did a run up the m6 to stafford & back using cruise & during that time it was only averaging 40mpg at about 70-75!!! If you push it more it's even worse!

Secondly, the gears ratios are wierd:-

1st is very short indeed, 2nd is much longer, 3rd is short again, then 4th is about right, 5th is almost the same as 6th in a vec, while 6th is virtually useless, you cannot use it below 85mph, if you do it vibrates the rear view mirror so everything blurrs (I'm not joking, I swear!!).

It seems like 5th is ideal up to about 65, then 6th is way too high so you're in th middle, how dumb is that!!!

Thirdly, it doesn't pull like the vec 1.9, although it's a manual, it feels like an auto, it seems to pause, then go, but not with the surge of the vec. It feels like it's holding back. Just when the revs build & you think it's really going to go, that's it, time to change, & with the wierd ratios, it's not a "seamless" change. It's like you boot it & the car says "what? you must be kidding, I'll go on my terms, & I'm not pulling too hard either, so bl00dy wait!"

Fourthly, there's something missing, I don't know what, it just lacks something, it feels a bit dull & soulless after a while, even a bit tiring.

So that's it, the lexus is not for me.

It's a stunning machine, but it's big weakness is the engine/gearbox, which to me are a large influence on what I drive. If they sort this it would beat the opposition hands down.

I was really excited about driving this as well, I wanted to like it, but it just didn't do it.

Back to the drawing board!

I'm still borrowing my mom's vec b then for now lol

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you have to leave VX, get an A4 TDi and map it if you feel you need to.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 55000

26 mpg................... Ian does that mean a 3.2 Elite is out of the question then??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Am I right in thinking that, if you have the in-built media centre in the car (i.e. the factory fitted one) it is the ONLY Sat Nav system that you can't set whilst you are moving (i.e. you have to either pre-set it from home or stop in a layby to set)?

Thread Information