0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Default Diesel and Petrol

I know it's a daft question nut it came from a thread i was reading on there - sorry can't remember which - in that some members were talking about how the brake pedal feels different in a diesel compared to a petrol.
    Diesel - the brake feels slightly more 'spongy' than the petrol which feels slight more 'taught'. I know that petrol engines produce their own vacuum in the servo unit but a deisel can't - how come?, i mean both engines work on the same principle except how the detonation occurs.

What is the system employed in a diesel?

Cheers,

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza4 View Post
    I know it's a daft question nut it came from a thread i was reading on there - sorry can't remember which - in that some members were talking about how the brake pedal feels different in a diesel compared to a petrol.
    Diesel - the brake feels slightly more 'spongy' than the petrol which feels slight more 'taught'. I know that petrol engines produce their own vacuum in the servo unit but a deisel can't - how come?, i mean both engines work on the same principle except how the detonation occurs.

What is the system employed in a diesel?

Cheers,

Gazza4

hey mate , it was me who asked why my brake pedal felt soft on my diesel? all down to diesel apparantly? brake pedal does feel better now had pads dont but im sure was HARDER when it was new? you got diesel then? r they softer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by vectra1.9cdti View Post
    hey mate , it was me who asked why my brake pedal felt soft on my diesel? all down to diesel apparantly? brake pedal does feel better now had pads dont but im sure was HARDER when it was new? you got diesel then? r they softer?
    Yip, when pads are worn to metal you know apparently, the pedal will sink to the floor. Have you driven a petrol recently, brake pedal feels like a brick!!!

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza4 View Post
    Yip, when pads are worn to metal you know apparently, the pedal will sink to the floor. Have you driven a petrol recently, brake pedal feels like a brick!!!

Gazza4
    na not driven petrol for awhile, but im sure was hard on the demo diesel? but prob just in my head? paranoid about brakes and steering with so many horror stories? how many clicks before ur handbrake holds by the way? mines about 6-8? gotta get new lever again (already had 3 under warranty)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by vectra1.9cdti View Post
    na not driven petrol for awhile, but im sure was hard on the demo diesel? but prob just in my head? paranoid about brakes and steering with so many horror stories? how many clicks before ur handbrake holds by the way? mines about 6-8? gotta get new lever again (already had 3 under warranty)?

My handbrake comes right up to meet the armrest if a want it to, but it should be 3-4 clicks and that's a slack cable. If you've had 3 replacement levers then if i were you i would - even if it means taping a mobile phone with a camera to the inside roof of the car (any unscrupulous characters will not really notice it) with the camera facing the handbrake and leave it recording, then if you are lucky and the thing pops off - Vauxhall have no excuses!! Sorry but 3 replacements - i'll admit my idea is premature but if it exposes a safety issue that Vauxhall are claiming 'we have done extensive testing and no shows there is a fault with your handbrake system' then so be it!!!

I'll be honest my car has the DMF problem, clunking handbrake, suspected accident in previous ownership so i wouldn't be too concerned about your if i were you.

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

mine clunks too. blood-y thing!!!!oh well lets c if vx fix it this time lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've had a 2.2 Direct and now have a 3.0 V6 and I cant say I've noticed the brakes feel any different. But the 3.0 V6 does have bigger 314mm brakes so it stops a lot better than the 2.2 Direct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Try and video it making the noise. Sounds daft but Vauxhall are in probability testing cars - only once however - and finding no problems, but get evidence and they will find it difficult to argue.

Another thing that makes me say this is look at the polls, they are not shouting 'load of handbrake failures', and this is an owners forum, and if that's not bad enough Vauxhall have probably done their own research/surveys and found similar results (63% have had no issues).

Try and capture these anomalies with your handbrake system and then watch Vauxhall back into a corner!!

Good luck!!!

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VectraV6CDTi View Post
    I've had a 2.2 Direct and now have a 3.0 V6 and I cant say I've noticed the brakes feel any different. But the 3.0 V6 does have bigger 314mm brakes so it stops a lot better than the 2.2 Direct.

Proper Discs!!!

Thread Information