Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Cold Winter - insulating house question

Hi guys,

I bought my first house just over a year ago. It's a large end terraced house.

It needed quite a lot doing to it to make it weather-proof, roof tiles sorting, new gutters etc.

Last year when we had heavy rain and floods across the country, it wasn't that bad where I live, but the house started leaking in a few places. Mainly due to the gutters not being put at an angle, so they were just filling up and overflowing back into the cavity of the walls.
    I've since sorted that problem, but in heavy downpours of rain, we still get the occasional dripping caused by water making it's way down the cavity (space between outside wall of house and inside wall) We've had an extension put on the back of the house, so the main problem is where this joins the house, and the cavity doesn't reach the floor, but now stops above e new room...

MY QUESTION IS THIS.....

Is there an injection foam insulation/damp proofing stuff that can be drilled into the outside wall, then squited in to expand and set filling up the space in the cavity giving insulation, and to stop damp??

I'm sure one of my friends had this done to his house when I was a young kid.

I've had a quick look around and the only injection wall products I could find are like a cream that is squirted into the walls, but only around the first couple of feet (height) of the house. I'm looking for something that can be done all the way up to the top.

What would this process be called, and how much is it expected to cost?

If you touch a wall on the inside that is an outside wall (not joined to another property) the wall is cold, so without the central heating on, it can get quite cold - good thing in summer, but bad in winter.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We have just had cavity wall insulation done on our house, should have cost us £275.00 through British Gas energy plan.

Btw mine is a 4 bed semi, originally a 2 bed but when the extension was built the other 2 beds were insulated as they were built.

So it was reduced to £200 for the original house as the extension was all done as it was built.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by danlat1415 View Post
    Hi guys,MY QUESTION IS THIS.....

Is there an injection foam insulation/damp proofing stuff that can be drilled into the outside wall, then squited in to expand and set filling up the space in the cavity giving insulation, and to stop damp??

I'm sure one of my friends had this done to his house when I was a young kid.

I've had a quick look around and the only injection wall products I could find are like a cream that is squirted into the walls, but only around the first couple of feet (height) of the house. I'm looking for something that can be done all the way up to the top.

What would this process be called, and how much is it expected to cost?

If you touch a wall on the inside that is an outside wall (not joined to another property) the wall is cold, so without the central heating on, it can get quite cold - good thing in summer, but bad in winter.
    Its called cavity wall insulation and its like a cotton wool type form injected into the walls from outside, occasionally they may need to drill from inside but its not very often.
    Process took about 4 - 6 hours and it does go from the top to the bottom.

Heres some in your area to get a free quote

http://www.insulation-installers.co.uk/lancashire.htm

http://www.qualityservicesgroup.com/...insulation.htm

http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/
    Last edited by The-Bandit; 10th January 2008 at 22:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks a lot for the advise guys!!

I've just changed to British Gas in November, so I'll give them a call tommorow for a quote. I was thinking around £2000..?
    I'm shocked!!

£275ish

Definate get a quote, and booking it in!
    Credit card has taken a bashing over christmas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had our's done just before Christmas from these

http://www.lioninsulation.co.uk/

Excellent job and £350 for a large detached house, not sure if they cover your area though.

Definitely worth the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

get in touch with your local council, they will tell you your local guys to contact and also what discount your entitled to

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by danlat1415 View Post
    I've just changed to British Gas in November, so I'll give them a call tommorow for a quote. I was thinking around £2000..?
    I'm shocked!!
    As your with British Gas they will give you a big discount aswell ..... let us know how ya get on..... cant go wrong with them mate

Well worth the money but if you go private make sure you check the companys background to make sure they aint cowboys.(if ya know what i mean)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Insulation is to do with heat loss not damp, your thinking of a damp proof course injection ? Before you shell out try painting the outside brickwork from ground level to 2 - 3ft up with a clear liquid silicon such as Thompsons water seal. Very good at repelling damp. Often the damp proof course has been bridged by soil piled against a wall - or in an older property is none-existent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rob 2.2dti View Post
    Insulation is to do with heat loss not damp, your thinking of a damp proof course injection ? Before you shell out try painting the outside brickwork from ground level to 2 - 3ft up with a clear liquid silicon such as Thompsons water seal. Very good at repelling damp. Often the damp proof course has been bridged by soil piled against a wall - or in an older property is none-existent.
    thats stuff only works on newish brickwork, if you have got damp, you need the liquid injection, not too expensive and works a treat, you can still insulate before getting that done, but you might need to replaster the first 1m in your house with a damp inhibiting plaster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In some peoples eyes you never need damp injection as there is no such thing as rising damp!

The source of damp is usually due to a leak or bridging of the damp course.
    You shouldn't be getting any water down the inner face of the outer brickwork!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information