User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Wireless Network experts out there??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Any Wireless Network experts out there??

Been having trouble with my wireless network at home for the past ten days or so. no laptops or desktops in the household are connecting wirelessly to the internet anymore, whereas it was working just fine before the new year.

funnily enough however, the ps3 is still connecting wirelessly without any problems, it's just laptops and desktop. sometimes the network will be detected, other times it won't get detected at all, and when it does get detected and i try and connect it says that it is waiting for the network before timing out.

another thing, the device i use to send the tv signal from downstairs to the upstairs bedroom has been getting constant inteference for roughly the same amount of time.

all this together is baffling me, because i connect to the router via an ethernet cable with no problems whatsoever so it's not a fault with the internet, the ps3 is still connecting wirelessly, so it's not a router problem, and i checked all wires and connections on the wireless transmitter thinking their was a break in a cable or something.

so what could be causing this problem? the only thing i can think of is that one of the neighbours have purchased a wireless device that is messing with the tv trasnmitter and wireless router - is that possible?

changing channels on the router doesn't help either, is there anything else i can try to solve this as it's driving me mad.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have you accessed the admin control on the router matey? Sometimes it's blindingly obvious when you look in there.

Does the router have flashing LED's next to each individual LAN port and if it does do they flash when you're connected?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    another thing, the device i use to send the tv signal from downstairs to the upstairs bedroom has been getting constant inteference for roughly the same amount of time......

so what could be causing this problem? the only thing i can think of is that one of the neighbours have purchased a wireless device that is messing with the tv trasnmitter and wireless router - is that possible?
    Yes, that's possible. When you've searched for wireless networks on the laptop, have a number of other ones appeared? If so then they could be interfering, especially if they are g band networks. It could just be that where your PS3 is, it's not being interfered with, but the laptops are.

I'd suggest a couple of things - change the channel of the wireless network in the router to another one. (EDIT: Just saw that you tried that!) If the router has an option for a Protected Mode, then turn it on. You may have a slight drop in performance, but this will help to cut down interference from other close-by wireless networks.

See if that helps and post back with any info. Also, I'd turn off the video sender thing for a bit as well as a test - as these work on the same 2.4GHz frequency that the wireless works on.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    Have you accessed the admin control on the router matey? Sometimes it's blindingly obvious when you look in there.
    yep...had a look, was even on the phone with support and they couldn't offer much help, just gave me some DNS numbers as opposed to detecting automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    Does the router have flashing LED's next to each individual LAN port and if it does do they flash when you're connected?
    the router has got four LAN ports and when you're connected a solid light comes on, which it does.

the router has also got lights for wireless access and an internet light to let you know when it's connected to the web, and both of these are on aswell.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Yes, that's possible. When you've searched for wireless networks on the laptop, have a number of other ones appeared?
    yeah...loads of other ones, but they have always been there, if that makes a difference

It could just be that where your PS3 is, it's not being interfered with, but the laptops are.
    have tried putting the laptop right next to the router with no success

If the router has an option for a Protected Mode, then turn it on. You may have a slight drop in performance, but this will help to cut down interference from other close-by wireless networks.
    the router has got an option for 'network isolation', is that the same?

Also, I'd turn off the video sender thing for a bit as well as a test - as these work on the same 2.4GHz frequency that the wireless works on.
    just unplugged the transmitter and not ten seconds later the laptop popped up with a message of 'wireless network connected', so i've unplugged the network cable now and if i manage to post this message then that must've been the cause of the problem.

but i've had the wireless network and transmitter running side by side for ages with no problem, it's weird how it's just caused problems recently.

fingers crossed that this gets posted!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

excellent - cheers D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It's most likely interference from somehwhere. Even a neighbour (or you) getting a different cordless phone can sometimes cause issues.
    Or your TV transmitter may have gone faulty in some subtle way.

Phil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

just unplugged the transmitter and not ten seconds later the laptop popped up with a message of 'wireless network connected', so i've unplugged the network cable now and if i manage to post this message then that must've been the cause of the problem.

but i've had the wireless network and transmitter running side by side for ages with no problem, it's weird how it's just caused problems recently.

fingers crossed that this gets posted!

excellent - cheers D
    - so it was the video sender deciding to mess things up then. Could be the sender has just started to play up/interfere somehow. But as I said they are usually on the same 2.4GHz frequency so that potential is always there.

Anyways, looks like that was the problem, so at least you know now.
    the router has got an option for 'network isolation', is that the same?
    Probably. You could always try turning that on, and the sender back on, and see if it works - then you can still use the sender.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Anyways, looks like that was the problem, so at least you know now. Probably. You could always try turning that on, and the sender back on, and see if it works - then you can still use the sender.
    the transmitter was only meant to be a temporary solution anyway, but i got lazy and stuck with it.

i'm going to do what i intended to do in the first place and split the feed from the external aerial to the bedroom and lounge

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if the wireless sender is starting to cause issues, it's probably the transformer ( not optimus ) as they start to 'degrade' over time and this can cause a voltage difference or noise, which results in a distorted signal, hence the 'interference' on your TV

I had a problem with random disconnections on my DSL, and found the resistance on my landline was dropping to about 650ohm with my cordless phones plugged in, removed them, and it shot back up to 10k ohm, an operation phone, modem etc should only effect it marginally, but because the power transformer on the phone was screwed it was impacting the DSL

Same sort of thing you'll be experiencing... try get a new tranformer for it ( one of those multi-jack, multi voltage things will prob do the trick ) and see if it works...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information