User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2.0dti - spanner light syndrome!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.0dti - spanner light syndrome!

I have a 2004 2.0dTi. Spanner light came on on two occasions while accelerating hardish in 3rd. Same as most other posts, stopped the car, restarted, no problems for a couple of weeks. Then the spanner light started to appear every morning when I first started it. Booked it into dealers (still under guarantee) they replaced what was described as a 'boost module'. However, spanner light still appears at first starting. I've arranged to book it in again but would appreciate any knowledgeable comments as the dealer could be feeding me any sh*t. But here's the main (and mildly embarrasing!) point. The turbo doesn't seem to be kicking in. I know it sounds stupid but the car doesnt seem to give that surge at about 3000 revs that it used to. Is there any other way I can tell if the turbo is working.
    Thanks
    JJ

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi littleted Duncan dould be worth a pm, he's just had his to bits and recond, Which garage you been to ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

to check if it's working, there's little you can do apart from remove the heatsheilding and see that the acuator rod moves as does the poppet valve arm..

TBH, it's commonly the boost pressure sensor anyway, so let them change it and all should be well.. the sensor fills with an oily tar and then the pressure differential can't be measured by the car, and it throws a spanner light and limp home mode..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Check all the vac hoses as well, a split in one of them will usually prevents it from boosting.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks guy's for taking the time to reply - it was good to have at least a little idea of what I was talking about when I took the car back to the dealers. I insisted the mechanic did a test drive and he admitted that it was flat and the turbo boost did not appear to be kicking in. I think at the first visit the test indicated turbo boost fault, they replaced the boost sensor but didn't fully test the car. Anyway they now have my car and are fully aware of the fault, so we wait....
    Graeme, the dealers are Evans Halshaw, and I have to be honest, they have been absolutely spot on - I got a two year warranty and did expect them to be a bit iffy but even now after 14 months they couldn't have been more helpful.
    Anyway, thanks again for the replies, I will let you know what the outcome is.
    JJ

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi all,
    I promised to let you know what progress I made following the dealers second attempt to fix the spanner light roblem. I would love to say that everythings fine but as a lot of you have found out, life's not that simple.
    First the good news, JuzzyD, you were on the money....they found a leaking/split vac hose that was ( I think) connected to the boost sensor. They test drove the car and said it is now alright. (So now they have changed the boost sensor and a hose connected to it)
    Now the bad news...Just as they handed me the keys they said...oh by the way the spanner light still comes on, that is quite normal. I said they were wrong but took the car (cos I needed it). It drives the same - there is not much in the way of boost, the temperature reading beside the clock is now at about -5 degrees (how could they change that!) and I think it is using a lot of diesel.
    I phoned the service manager, said I wasn't happy but would drive the car for a couple of days to see if the temp sensor corrected itself, check the consumption etc.
    It really does your head in when you think you are getting it sorted and it comes back with even more problems. So it will probably be going back in - if anybody has any advice it would be very welcome.

JJ.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i know the corsa temp sensor gives off about -30' if it's disconnected, it's usually located behind the front grill, not sure where on the vectra though...

not got much experience with the vectra engine, but i had a failed turbo on my mondeo which got replaced, and they damaged the seal while refitting causing the coolant to be flooded with oil, could give that a check, also had issues with a boost hose splitting, a common fault, but easily found due to the 'whoosing' or gushing wind noise where the turbo used to kick in...

Thread Information