Thread: had car in garage today over fuel consumption

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default had car in garage today over fuel consumption

well, the car has been in the vauxhall garage today because of the "poor fuel economy" we have been getting for a while now. i am not happy. they said they couldnt find anything wrong with the car. Its done 22k and its on an 06 plate. according to the BC2 trip its getting 40.1mpg overall from new, and the BC1 trip is stating that the car has done 410 miles averaging at 36.1 mpg. Even with the CRD2 tuning box on the car we were not getting more than 45-50 mpg from the car. I have rang another vauxhall garage to get another opinion today and this guy told me that acccording to their wall chart the car should be doing 29mpg urban, and 40mpg in the other areas.
    We know our car and we know what we have been getting from it economy wise, even before we put the tuning box onto the car. Siince its first service we have lost between 5-10mpg off the car. I said to this guy if its only doing 40mpg now at 22k, whats it going to be doing when it gets to 100k? we got rid of a 2.0i turbo sri vectra due to the increase in fuel costs, and now we feel were not any better off transferring to diesel, other than the fact that the mileage rate was a lot better with the diesel than that of the petrol car we had and now we feel wewre at status quo.
    what on earth is going on. I know the winter is here and we use the heating more etc etc but thats not the answer here i believe. the problem existed well before the autumn season set in.Is this an issue for Vauxhall to resolve? Im fed up. Weve been told to run the car for another 2-3k to see how its running after today. Well, weve already waited for the right oppertunity since its first service to get it booked in to get it checked over and with no satisfaction at all from today. does anybody know what they are doing?
    PS Mrs Chunky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

fuel economy on mine is crap too. always has been. if it's any consolation, I rarely used to get over 40mpg before the remap....

It seems to be one of those things that just varies from car to car. I assume you've either taken the box off now, or are calculating the consumption manually?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have the Vectra c sri estate 150, I travel 100 miles to work and back per day, easy journey nearly all m way and I get 47-51 mpg. Over the last three weeks I have been working in our local office 9 miles away and have averaged 41 mpg. I have a dtuk box that shows the mpg as being 55 mpg but this is incorrect and when I brim it the above shows to be more true. I think the computer works out what it should be doing not taking into consideration the extra fuel being used (by passed from the ecu) with the tuning box.
    In my opinion they have asked you to leave it 2-3k because they don't have an answer and hope you wont go back, or if you do it will be someone else handling your complaint!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hangon guy's, 40mpg isn't bad at all from a car this heavy and running toys, this is a direct example of what happens when someone posts their car does 60mpg all the time etc, the only way anyone will see 60mpg from a diesel Vectra is at 50mph constant, for reference Chunks, my 2.0DTi used to do 32 urban in winter and 38 urban during the summer, on holiday loaded up and with some Devon congestion thrown in she averaged 45mpg overall, anyone wanting to see more than 40mpg needs to spend no more than a quarter of a tank in town or it will drop back into the 30's especially if it's lots of 5 mile trips, hth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

is yours a 120 or 150? If its a 120 then they are poo on fuel ( I have posted my results somewhere ) if its a 150 then they appear a touch low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My Signum seems to be doing between 39 and 41 at the moment. It's better than my old Mondeo V6's 28, so it doesn't bother me that it's not doing 50!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

chunkster
    before i sold my elite, cdti 150 i was only getting 42 mpg and that was not on short runs. Over the 14000 miles i had the car i had an average of 41mpg so your figures are not that bad..
    As to the changing your turbo to diesel , you will only really see a difference in miles to the pound if you are cover about 35000 + a year. at the current prices. I have recently gone the other way and gone from a diesel to a petrol, cos i will only be doing under 10000 miles a year
    But tis is only my opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I tend to do mostly short journeys prob about 12 miles at a time and my 150 gets about 35mpg average but on a long run i have had 48.9mpg that was sitting at around 70 on the DCW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I know we all want to save a few quid, but I do think that people are starting to get a touch oversensitive to the mpg their cars do.
    Try not to look at it, you need to use it, the car does better than most, and it'll cost too much to change car, that's the way I'm starting to look at it.

Oh, and you don't need to do 35k for it to make a difference. Instead of using 65 quid a month the wife now uses £38 (ie one tank), car cost the same as the old one, and was only £300 more than the petrol equivalent that does 15mpg less than hers.
    We now SEE a saving of £30ish in fuel a month, and the car is a touch cheaper on the HP than the last. Then again, her car NEVER comes below 50mpg, normally mid to high 50s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Much of it depends on how you drive & length of your journeys. In warm weather, driving easily, I average about 46 mpg on my 13 mile drive to work but that is closer to 40 in this cold weather. These are calculated figures as the BC only works out the last 20 miles or so & is always optomistic. If you make much use of the CRD2 that will make a big difference too so your figures don't sound too bad to me!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information