Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Muppets

I was flicking through the comic that calls itself Auto-Express at the supermarket today. There was a review of the Vec estate against a few others.

A minus point against the Vec was that "it's easy to catch the scroll wheel on the steering wheel with your palm when turning."

What kind of muppet write such rubbish. I've never done it and don't know of anybody else who has. You'd have to have flippers to do such a thing.

Shook my head in disgust and walked off.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The kind of Muppet that thinks anything with a BMW badge is Gods gift to motoring.
    Look at the cr*p that has been written by "motoring journalists" about the veccy indicators.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

I dislike the cruise control switch positions. I sometimes hit the 'resume' button when indicating left, but strangely don't hit 'set' when pushing indicator right. Weird.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 55000

I think they have to find something to write, to justify their employment.
    I bet if when the new vectra d comes out in 2008, if the did not put a badge on it and asked these so called journalists to test it, they would be amazed that it is a vauxhall, it seems that it is all about "the badge" not the inovation. i wonder if the bmw had the indicators like the vectra then the press would be saying " what a brilliant idea"

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes even on Top Gear last night the VW Lupo got a mention for its reliability,even when all the reliabilty serveys say its poor!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Top Gear excepted, other motoring writers often have an annoying habit of "stating the bleedin' obvious", complaining at length, for example, banging on about how cramped it is for a couple of six footers in the back of a Tigra (or whatever).
    We don't need telling! We've all got eyes and (hopefully) the sense to not buy a coupe if you're a family of four or five adults.

Another favourite is the fallacy of low depreciation of some of these BMW's and Mercs. They'll tell you how important it is to specify leather, metallic, nice alloys etc, adding maybe £5k or more to the drive away price. Get a bit carried away with the option list on a MINI and you can easily spend well over twenty grand.
    The published depreciation rates - quoting as they do as a percentage of the LIST price, not the price the average punter spends. That basic MINI Cooper at £16k doesn't sound too bad being worth £9k at three years, but a "properly speced-up" model is worth a few hundred more after three years, but has had a spectacular fall from maybe £21k or more.
    What I'm saying is that the average mainstream car buyer makes do with maybe £300 worth of metallic paint so the published depreciation rates are quite accurate, but for example, the average BMW 3 series owner probably spends £3k plus on his extras, but this is not reflected in the percentage depreciation figures.

Anyway, sorry about banging-on myself for so long. I've finally come to the conclusion that life's too short to worry about depreciation, fuel cost etc....and we should run whatever we fancy and hang the expense. They don't put pockets in shrouds you know!!!

Doug

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quite right Doug. Friend of mine is due to change his three year old Merc CLK. He's going to lose about £17000. Yet the percentage depreciation is much better than a Vectra.

He specified it with a manual gearbox. The dealer did eveything to get him to spend over two grand on an auto box. He was advised it would improve the resale price of the car by £800. Try to figure that out!

Norfolk 'n Good Drives : Signum 3.0 CDTi BHP : 229.8 Torque 344.9lb
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A way of finding a good motoring journalist is to look at the press releases (they are all listed for GM on the Vauxhall website - and if the road test/review bares no resemblance and isnt directly copied its a good start. Often the 'first drives' are very bad at this, as the press are all shoved on a plane, wined and dined, put up in a hotel, then given a car and a set route and about 20 minutes to evaluate the car.

ps - if he was catching the steering wheel switch with the palm of his hand - he was not in control of the vehicle and could be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. Anyone fancy emailing auto express and letting them know?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I saw the same review MLC, the thing that annoyed me was that the Vec was being tested against cars like the Passat and Accord which are IMO a different category from a Vec, it being a family car while they are compact exec cars like the Merc C class and BMW 3series, so when the vectra did poorly they didnt mention it wasnt the same category or the other cars cost quite a few grand more, and so naturally the vec wouldnt do as well, pitting it against the laguna, mondeo, etc. would have shown how good it really was in context.

same goes for the pug 407 they were trying to compare with a VW and a Honda.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have subscribed to Auto Express for about 3 years now, and I have to say that i am REALLY fed up with the stupid drivel they write for what is supposed to be a CAR test.

How many times have we read this STUPID comment " It lacks the premium badge of its key rivals, but the quirky styling helps it stand out from the crowd".

How many times have you seen this load of ********?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information