Thread: More on 1.9CDTI Auto Box problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default More on 1.9CDTI Auto Box problems

I have an April 2006 1.9CDTI (150PS) saloon with the 6 speed automatic gear box. Back at the beginning of October when it had done about 24500 miles I started to get very "jerky" gear changes, particularly when going from 6th to 5th gear. It was like doing a manual change and having selected the next (lower) gear just dropping the clutch instead of feeding it in to get a smooth change. On one occasion I lost power altogether - at 65mph on the outside lane with criuse control engaged!

At first my local Vauxhall dealer (Sewards of Poole) tried chaning the gearbox software, but this did not work. So then they tried more options under the direction of Vauxhall Technical Support. After 4 weeks, two re-conditioned autoboxes and a new ECU, they returned the car saying that it was fixed. However it then leaked oil because the oil cooler pipe seals on the second re-conditioned gear box were faulty.

The leaking oil seals were fixed but then I had the same fault but this time at low speed, e.g. when going from 2nd to 3rd. This symptom appeared to occur after about 40 miles of driving and then having stopped for a short period of time. The gearbox also seemed reluctant to use 2nd gear even when using the manual override.

The car went back to Sewards and Vauxhall Technical Support agreed that a BRAND NEW gearbox should be fitted. I understand that this has now been done, but that in testing the Service Manager from Sewards has had the symptoms occur again.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or know what the solution might be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation Update on 1.9CDTI Auto Box problems

After 4 weeks with the dealer Vauxhall now say the problem is fixed. It appears that the gearbox did not have enough oil in it - 0.7 litres less than it should have.

The reason was that there is an overflow pipe inside - rather like the ones you find in some toilet cisterns. So when you want to put oil in the gearbox as well as taking the filler plug out (green on top of gearbox) you also take a bung out at the bottom of the gearbox. Oil is then added until it appears out of the hole from which the bung was removed. This means that th oil has reached the top of the overflow pipe and this is supposed to indicate that the gearbox has enough oil.

However for some reason the replacement brand new gearbox that had been fitted to my car had an overflow pipe that was shorter than it should have been. So when the gearbox was filled with oil it did not get enough oil put it. This leads to very fierce changes particularly at low speeds.

If you have an 1.9CDTI Automatic (mine was new in April 06) get your dealer to check that the gearbox oil overflow pipe is of the correct length and that therefore the gearbox has the correct amount of oil in it.

The gearbox on my car is a TF 80SC (AF40) made bu Aisin in Japan - see plate on the top of the gearbox. It uses a very complicated gear mechanism - do a search on the Internet for some interesting web-sites about this type of gearbox. According to the Aisin web-site the TF 80SC is capable of handling up to 450 Nm of torque. It is also fitted to the Volvo V70 and to some Alfa Romeo cars.

Later Vectras may not have the GM gearbox that was fitted to the 07 plase SAAB 9-3 Diesel Automatic that I had from Enterprise Car Hire wilst my own car was at the Vauxhall dealers. Personally I did not like the SAAB, but that may just be me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Richard - interesting 'story' about your auto. I too have a 1.9cdti 150 auto, and have never been that impressed with the auto box.

When accelerating away 'normally' the box stays in first gear far too long in my opinion, then only briefly stays in second, then goes straight to third. I have had vx look at it before now, and they just say it is normal ! Can you identify with any of the above with your auto ?

For a different reason, mine is at the dealers at the moment. See thread :

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=41260

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good result there

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by dave200 View Post
    Richard - interesting 'story' about your auto. I too have a 1.9cdti 150 auto, and have never been that impressed with the auto box.

When accelerating away 'normally' the box stays in first gear far too long in my opinion, then only briefly stays in second, then goes straight to third. I have had vx look at it before now, and they just say it is normal ! Can you identify with any of the above with your auto ?

For a different reason, mine is at the dealers at the moment. See thread :

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=41260

autoboxes do stay in 1st too long but however it is normal as the box wont change gear to second or third sometimes staying in them for longer periods then sometimes..they dont it all depends on how the ecu and box think your driving put your foot down and it stays in 1st and revs high longer to get you away quicker it thinks you have traffic up ur ass or on a motorway slip road it all depends on how you use the throttle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Jack, thanks for your post re first gear in the auto box. I understand how the box works re throttle and ecu etc. I have owned loads of auto's before, mainly volvo and saab and, under normal slowish acceleration, they change up to second quite soon. BUT, the vectra does seem different in this respect, and stays in first for too long in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i wasnt being smarmy by the way dave sorry if you think i was i didnt know if anny1 had mentioned it sorry mate. i have only had manual vectras before. but my parents have had loads.

Thread Information