User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice please? Wash, clay, wash again, then...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Advice please? Wash, clay, wash again, then...?

wax, or polish & seal & wax. I already have the Autoglym wash & conditioner, and today bought the Maguires clay kit, and also have a pot of Poorboys Nattys wax. What else do I need for when I have a long dry day free?
    Also the clay needs lubricating, and the Maguires kit has their quick detail spray to use as a lube, is it ok for that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would go

Wash
    Clay(no need to dry as the extra lubrication helps)
    Wash again
    Dry
    Polish
    Glaze
    Sealant(I miss this out and go straight to wax, but thats out of preference)
    Wax

The QD that comes in the clay kit will be fine, just make sure and use enough lube, too much is better than not enough

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As above. Perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mark1319 View Post
    I would go

Wash
    Clay(no need to dry as the extra lubrication helps)
    Wash again
    Dry
    Polish
    Glaze
    Sealant(I miss this out and go straight to wax, but thats out of preference)
    Wax

The QD that comes in the clay kit will be fine, just make sure and use enough lube, too much is better than not enough
    Polish & glaze? whats the difference between polish & wax? & whats a glaze? got any recommendations for a silver car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This is where I don't have a great knowledge so I will answer to the best of my ability I think polish is generally a paint cleaner to prepare the surface for a sealant/wax and some contain abrasives for swirl removal(pointless by hand TBH). A glaze is used to give a shine and gives the car that sparkling flake. Then a sealant or wax or both to protect your shiny surface.

For productss it really all depends on your budget TBH. Anything else I can help with I'll try

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This is where I don't have a great knowledge so I will answer to the best of my ability I think polish is generally a paint cleaner to prepare the surface for a sealant/wax and some contain abrasives for swirl removal(pointless by hand TBH). A glaze is used to give a shine and gives the car that sparkling flake. Then a sealant or wax or both to protect your shiny surface.

For productss it really all depends on your budget TBH. Anything else I can help with I'll try
    Wll, the way I see it, if I am going through the hours of washing/clay/wash,then I want something to provide maximum protection as I wont be doing that too often, so the best protection polish would be prefered. TBH, the car is an 06, so the paintwork aint too bad ( I bought it after 14 months old ), and the last time I washed it and gave the front half a coat of poorboys nattys wax I couldnt see any improvement!
    Most concerned with the sills having lots of tar etc which I need to get some white spirits ( not to mention some BIG mudflaps!). would the clay take care of the tar or would I still need white spirits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

For the tar you could try AG bug and tar remover it's available at halfords and not too expensive. I would stay clear of white spirits completely a nono IMO. For protection it's not the polish, but a good wax/sealant and that has to be collinite either 476 or 845 for light cars, 845 is supposed to give a better look and they will give the best protection. A good glaze like meguiars No. 7 should help bring the shine out in the paint. It being silver as well swirls and imperfections will be invisible to the naked eye, one of the pros of a light coloured car

Collinite 476
    Collinite 845 This is a liquid, but is almost solid so when using it should be kept in a bucket of warm water to keep it liquified
    Megs No.7

I've got 845 for mine, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Recently spent a lot of money on detailing equipment it's becoming expensive just to keep my car clean
    Last edited by mark1319; 28th December 2007 at 23:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i dont think the clay will take all the tar off as i think its a mild/soft clay bar in the megs kit,theres plenty of tar removers available though.
    i find poorboys ex-p sealant and megs show and shine glaze 7 work really well on my oyster coloured vec. (gives very good wet look shine and good reflections, not always easy to acheive by hand on a silver car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

For the tar you could try AG bug and tar remover it's available at halfords and not too expensive. I would stay clear of white spirits completely a nono IMO. For protection it's not the polish, but a good wax/sealant and that has to be collinite either 476 or 845 for light cars, 845 is supposed to give a better look and they will give the best protection. A good glaze like meguiars No. 7 should help bring the shine out in the paint. It being silver as well swirls and imperfections will be invisible to the naked eye, one of the pros of a light coloured car

Collinite 476
    Collinite 845 This is a liquid, but is almost solid so when using it should be kept in a bucket of warm water to keep it liquified
    Megs No.7

I've got 845 for mine, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Recently spent a lot of money on detailing equipment it's becoming expensive just to keep my car clean
    Thanks for the advice, so my poorboys nattys not up to the job then eh? the collinites are waxesthe maguires a glaze, what about a sealant??before or after or both with the wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Nattys will do the job and I've read that it's a very good wax, but if your not going to be washing your car all that often collinite will give longer lasting protection it is the most durable wax available without going into stupid money. A sealant would go on before the wax, but you don't have to, but there would be no harm in doing it entirely up to you if you haven't bought a sealant there is no real need to TBH. The main thing is to ensure you have a clean surface and by claying it you will do this. Also every time you wash it all you need to do is dry it and apply another layer of collinite and it will last a very long time. Yes collinite(wax) and Megs(glaze). Claying is advised to be done about twice a year normally before and after winter I would say to give a good clean surface free of contaminents. HTH

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information