Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Help

Hi started the car first thing this morning it was very cold -3 and the little engine in the bottom right hand corner didnít go out. Drove about 10 miles to where I was going with it still on. On the way back same again. When I got home checked the manual and it says thereís a problem with the emission control system. Bit of bad timing as most garages are closed over xmas and I have got quite a few miles to do over the holiday. Will it be ok to drive or am I best to get it sorted first? Canít say that it's smoking anymore than usual and it feels exactly the same as before.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If it starts to flash then you shouldn't drive it as you're at risk of damaging the cat.

Sometimes the very cold weather can cause the exhaust fumes to be such that they set off the emissions light.

Same thing happened to me recently and what I did was disconnect the battery for a bit to reset the light to then see if it came back on again - this was a few weeks ago - and it hasn't been back on since. If it does the same for you then I'd say don't worry about it. If it does come on again then time to get it looked at/codes read at a dealer.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlook View Post
    Hi started the car first thing this morning it was very cold -3 and the little engine in the bottom right hand corner didnít go out. Drove about 10 miles to where I was going with it still on. On the way back same again. When I got home checked the manual and it says thereís a problem with the emission control system. Bit of bad timing as most garages are closed over xmas and I have got quite a few miles to do over the holiday. Will it be ok to drive or am I best to get it sorted first? Canít say that it's smoking anymore than usual and it feels exactly the same as before.
    I would not worry about it too much unless:

- As stated above by Duncan it starts too flash

OR

- The car starts to limp

My parent had a Corsa B Sport which the same light was on all the time. The had the car for ten years and no problems other than a valve deep down in was clogged up with carbon deposits which meant unless you kept you foot on the accelerator, the car stalled but that showed up 3 years after the light came on. BTW the light was on to the day my parents got rid of it. But none the less if it is causing concern get in tough with a dealer/mechanic.

Hope its just a stupid freak electrical fault.

Gazza4

Thread Information