Thread: Service Book Saga

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Service Book Saga

Hi guys, got a bit of a dilemma here. Brief events are like this: bought my Vectra in September 6 months old, 05 54 plate, 12,000 miles, when I got it it had no car pass, spare key, incorrect service book, etc.

Chased up my salesman on noticing this, and later was posted my original spare key acquired from previous owner, my proper car pass, and a "made up" car pass entitled "security information" but containing only the same info as my car pass, anyway, still no service book.

Today went to my dealer for a fault with a bulb blowing, and asked for my salesman regarding my service book, to be told he didnt work there any longer, and had another salesman deal with my problem, on explaining my lack of service book, he went away, came back and went out to a 05 05 Vectra for sale on their forecourt, removed the service book from it and gave it to me.

Needless to say, none of the service stuff, or vehicle info, etc. had been filled in, only the original owner stamp (security company, whereas mine was owned by a hire car co), and supplying dealer stamp and date of registration (Camden Motors, 8 March 05), obviously had my car been march reg'd it'd be a 05 and not a 54.

My dilemma is this: will my warranty be affected, despite the fact I still have a service book of some sorts, my car has been maintained as per vauxhall guidelines and hasnt missed a service yet (first ever service not due yet), ??? secondly, will my cars service history and resale value be affected by this??? and thirdly, should I take this any further e.g. vauxhall themselves, or be grateful I now have a book, despite feeling sorry for someone who will now find themself in my position of no book on buying that car.

btw, dealer is Arnold Clark in Paisley, no doubt some other members will appreciate why I've had this problem when they hear thats who my dealer is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Consider if you were to buy your car when you sell it (if you know what I mean). Would you trust that the car had been fuly serviced correctly etc when the book doesnt match the car? I would certainly think long and hard about it - ie has this guy just got any old book and got his mate at the dealer to stamp it up?

I would firmly state that you want the correct book and if they dont do it tell tham that you will complain to vaux. and follow it through!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

I feel a strongly worded letter to Vx is about to be written. As pte says, if you were buying your car, it would look a bit sus.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm sorta not caring as long as my warranty is intact, as by the time I'm getting rid it'll be a 3 and a half year old 120K miles tired old ex taxi, which a value so low incorrect details at the start of the history will make little difference and it'll be traded in anyway for peanuts.

I'm just worried it will affect my warranty and I feel for the poor ****** who buys that 05 the book I have came from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Warranty not affected.

If you really need to - you could simply get the book modifed by the dealer (by attaching a clean sheet on the inside with your car details and then stamp it up as being legit.
    I wouldn't worry about it anyway, who looks at the book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I bought my car at six months old/4k miles from a main dealer - it had been their FD's car. I got a spare key and correctly filled in but unstamped service book plus all the usual books/paperwork apart from the pass card you refer to. When I asked the dealer for it at a later date (after having read about it in the owners manual) he told me the radio code was printed on the sales invoice. I was happy with that as I had all the info I needed.

However the service book is the important thing here, if it looks in any way dodgy it will have an affect on value when you come to sell the car privately or p/x it at a non Vauxhall dealership. Therefore I would chase it up ASAP. A polite, diplomatic letter to the dealership's head office requesting a brand new service book with your car's details correctly filled in and any necessary stamps putting in seems the way to go here.

The dealership which gave you the other car's book was probably only trying to help and it would have been had that car been brand new and the book a blank.

Regular Member Daycall automotive's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i work for a dealership, at very least they should have ordered you a replacment service book from vauxhall security data services which would have cost them £10.50

this will then come through with all your car details correctly printed in it, and the service's then stamped in.

i would certainly get on the case as it takes all of ten miniutes for them to fill out the form and fax it off to them for the new book. they should then recive the book within 3 working days.

the same applies for the security details, the only difference being that they can get the security details same day as long as the cars details have not been archived, if this is the case then it takes 48 hours approx.

Thread Information