0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Driving In Europe

If I take my Vec to Europe, mainly France is there anything I need to do to it or purchase to make sure I am driving legally.

I know I need a GB sticker which I am not looking forward to putting on, or at least removing !!!!

I think I might have read that you need to carry a bulb kit and a warning triangle ???? and then there is something to do with the direction the lights point when driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

Cheers

Damian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres a few things you need to be aware of, but your better off doing a quick search for 'driving in france' as there is a few sites that fill you in on everything from equipment needed, drink drive laws, and any quirky little laws they may have etc

Best bit of advice i can give is take a few spare passenger mirrors as on country lanes they pass you so close they could almost lick the side of your car clean. i found out to my detriment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damian
    If I take my Vec to Europe, mainly France is there anything I need to do to it or purchase to make sure I am driving legally.

I know I need a GB sticker which I am not looking forward to putting on, or at least removing !!!!

I think I might have read that you need to carry a bulb kit and a warning triangle ???? and then there is something to do with the direction the lights point when driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

Cheers

Damian
    I might be wrong Damian, but I don't think you need to display a GB sticker anymore, but if I am wrong it might be worth considering buying a new rear number plate with GB intergrated into it. There only a fiver and won't make a mess of your pride 'n joy.

You do need to carry a bulb kit as they are pretty strict, and if one of your bulbs blow and you haven't got an immediate replacement the fines are pretty heavy, especially in froggy land.

As for your headlights, have a read of your handbook, as I'm sure the C comes with adjustable lights, If I remember right, you can just switch the deflectors around which then sets your light for europe.

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this site - http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/driving-in-france.htm - it has you need to know on it.

paulieg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spare bulbs, warning triangle and First Aid kit should cover it. And adjust your headlights for the other side (see your manual for the procedure.)
    I'm off to France for the day tomorrow, for our pre-Xmas shopping trip. A Signum makes a good van when you fold the seats!

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to remember hearing that in some countries in Europe, it is a legal requirement to carry a spare pair of glasses (if appropriate of course), but I haven't heard of anyone being "done" for this by les fuzz.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-SRidirect
    I seem to remember hearing that in some countries in Europe, it is a legal requirement to carry a spare pair of glasses (if appropriate of course), but I haven't heard of anyone being "done" for this by les fuzz.
    Doug
    If your eyesite's as bad as mine, it's a good idea anyway, no matter which country you're in. I couldn't get home without my specs.....

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your going to put a GB sticker on, put it on the rear window outside, not your paintwork. As long as your displaying it clearly, thats all that matters. Then peel it off when you come back across the water. Put some beam benders on your head lights ( any black plastic. cut it to suit), take some spare bulbs and a small fire extinguisher just in case...............and keep to the speed limits until your an hour out of Calais as the French police think us Brits are easy game and will pull you and claim your speeding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry about it. I have driven in France a lot of times and usually haven't fitted beam adjusters, or carried spare anything. never been stopped or anythng. Brits seems to be a little paranoid about driving in foreign countries and on the wrong side of the road, don't know why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damian

The AA has a driving abroad advice section here. You'll see a link for compulsory equipment there as well. The only things that are compulsory in France are the warning triangle, GB sticker and headlamp convertors - as well as a bit of a documentation that you should check as well. Things like spare bulb kit etc are only recommended - they can't fine you for not having those. It's probably unlikely you'll get stopped for a check, but Sod's Laws will prevail if you haven't got the sticker or triangle!!

As mentioned before, you don't need the sticky on beam deflectors, the Vec/Signum has levers in the headlights that do that - just check your manual for the exact instructions.

As for the GB sticker, the number plate is certainly the neatest option. You can have GB, ENG, SCO, IRE or WAL (with respective flag) which are all legal to use. If you don't want new plates, what about a magnetic GB sticker? This is what I've used in the past as a sticker was going nowhere near my paintwork!! Not sure if Halfords sell them, but good car shops will. If you have trouble finding one, I can zip the one I have in the post to you as I now have the SCO plates.

HTH

D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information