Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Eek Wee bit of a tyre problem...

Was finishing off the winter detail today and the last thing I needed to do was the wheels - take them off, clean and wax them - so off I went.

Took off the first front wheel and when I turned it round I saw an area of tyre that had been marked by a yellow crayon. I wondered as it wasn't me and it wasn't there last time I took the wheels off. I worked out that it must have been the dealers when it was in having the new steering rack the other week and on looking closer I realised what they had done - they were highlighting the fact that there were cracks on the sidewall of the tyre!!!

Something they omitted to tell me when I went and picked the car up!!! They're usually very good, but I guess it got overlooked (to tell me). I'll be 'having words' on Monday! lol

So, carried on taking the other wheels off and saw the same on the other front tyre - yellow markings and more splits on the sidewalls!! On the backs, no yellow markings as they never had those whells off, but on looking - yet more splits and much worse than the fronts!! An example of one of them...

The splits go around practically the whole edge of the tyre!!!

Trying to work out what has caused it. The camber etc. should all be set up fine. The tyres have worn evenly across the width of tread so that would suggest the camber is fine. The tyres are 92W so of a load rating higher than is needed for my car. It's only on the inside of the tyres, not a sign of any cracking at all on the outside - so I'm a bit baffled. Being on the inside, that part of the tyre has never had any tyre gel etc. on it so that can't be a reason. I wonder if it's the opposite i.e. it's lost it's natural oils and cracked?, whereas the outside edges have had regular applications of tyre gel and have no signs of cracks at all.

I'm going to go down to my local tyre place tomorrow and see what they have to say - see if there's any mileage in getting Dunlop technical involved. The potential problem I may have is that the tyres - Dunlop Sport 01 225/40/18 92W - were what were on the wheels that I bought from another member earlier this year, so no invoice for the complete wheel/tyre combo or the tyres themselves i.e. no proof of purchase. So not sure if that will be a problem, I'll explain it to the tyre place and see.

Worst case scenario is I'll need to pay for four new tyres out of my pocket. I'll definitely have to replace them as there's no way I'm driving up to the NE knowing they're like that. At least they were done to 4/4.5mm so weren't too far away from needing replaced - I don't run tyres lower than 3mm. I'd hoped they'd have seen me through winter, so all I'm doing is replacing them just a bit earlier.

I'm just glad I spotted it today and didn't find out with a tyre blowing at speed on the motorway! I'll definitely be asking the dealer what happened - when the tech was sharp-eyed enough to notice it (when it wasn't the wheels/tyres he was working on), and even marked them, why I wasn't then notified of it when I went to get the car.

Will update tomorrow after I've been to the tyre place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ooooh, that's not good, good job it was spotted !!!
    God knows what would have caused that other than a manufacturing defect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Jeez D, nice of them to tell you that you had a potentially lethal fault with the car before they handed it back to you.

Like you say, it's a good job you spotted it before you made the trip oop norf, god knows what could have happened traveling those distances at motorway speeds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Green Growler View Post
    God knows what would have caused that other than a manufacturing defect.
    Yep, that's all I can think it can be down to.
    Quote Originally Posted by pricey View Post
    Jeez D, nice of them to tell you that you had a potentially lethal fault with the car before they handed it back to you.
    Yep, by spotting it and marking it - but not pointing it out to me - they've opened themselves up completely. If something had happened when driving up and a subsequent insurance/police inspection saw the yellow marks, they'd then be checking if I knew about it. As I wasn't told, and nothing noted on the job sheet/invoice, then the dealer would be in a whole heap of trouble for not notifying!
    Quote Originally Posted by pricey View Post
    Like you say, it's a good job you spotted it before you made the trip oop norf, god knows what could have happened traveling those distances at motorway speeds.
    Indeed! Don't know how long they may have been like that. Been trying to think when I last had my wheels off.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

jeez..good spot by vx..pity they didnt tell u but did highlight it...wonder if u would of noticed had it not been highlighted??...
    at least get an opinion from the tyre peeps... and try somewhere independant..not quickfit out to fleece you of your money!!

hmm..got the same tyres on mine now....keep me informed if there is a manufactures problem...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dwabo View Post
    ...wonder if u would of noticed had it not been highlighted??...
    I think (hope!) I would have, when I started to clean the inside of the rim etc., but at least the yellow mark was a big heads up! lol
    ...at least get an opinion from the tyre peeps... and try somewhere independant..not quickfit out to fleece you of your money!!
    Oh don't worry. When I said local tyre place I meant an independent that I've used for ages. Little family run place who know their stuff and who I get on well with. I wouldn't even dream of letting some place like Kwik-Fit manhandle my wheels! lol
    hmm..got the same tyres on mine now....keep me informed if there is a manufactures problem...
    Yep, will do. I meant to jot down the date codes from mine - I'll do it tomorrow. I'll find out if there is any known issue and post up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers duncan...wil keep an eye out for it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Very interesting D!! another restless night sleep now LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

not got them on the car yet so if theres a prob at least it can be sorted if theres a manufaturers prob..just had a quick google but couldnt fing anything..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah, I just did that too and not much. Something caught my eye in one of the results.....Considering the state of it..there is no way i would have another dunlop on the .... Side wall damage is more serious than tread damage, when comparing like ... on the Ford Galaxy owners' club, but I couldn't view the thread as you needed to be registered.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information