User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Time for a change.... Toyota Supra TT?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : Z20NET

Year : 04

Default Time for a change.... Toyota Supra TT?

I've recently moved house, well, I mean I've moved out of my mam and dad's place and into my new apartment for which I have a mortgage with my girlfriend, since my initial thread on wanting to jack the V6 in for a Diesel I've had a change of heart, I'm actually closer to work now than what I was when I was living at home, I live right on the gateshead quayside so I'm now finding that on most evenings and weekends the car stays parked up whereas beforehand it was a mixture of picking my girlfriend up from work every night, going to hers so she can get washed/changed and then going somewhere to have some time together or going back to mine, then I'd always drop her back off at home at the end of the night, again, now that we are living together this whole routine has been knocked on the head so it's saving me fuel and wear straight off the bat, the car now mainly serves it's purpose ferrying me to work, picking my girlfriend up on the way back then going home,

I still fancy a change but I don't feel the Diesel is completely necessary any more, I get a fuel allowance, at the end of every month I tot up every business related journey I've made and claim every mile back @ 40p per mile, add an extra mile here and there and it more than pays for the fuel I use and usually leaves me with a little surplus which, albeit, should really go towards other car related consumables, I.E Tyres, servicing cost etc.

Got my car up for sale on Pistonheads at the moment, http://pistonheads.com/sales/263738.htm
    tried to reflect all of my cars mods, history and condition in the price, I've slowly reduced it over time as it's been on there a couple of months now and up until last week I wasn't expecting to shift it until after Christmas.

In the section at the bottom of the ad where you can specify a preffered P/X etc, I stated Astra/Vectra CDTi, SEAT Leon Cupra R or a Toyota Supra twin turbo, seems like a varied selection of cars I know, a few weeks ago I made a thread about wanting to switch to a Diesel for the lower running costs, went to Vauxhall to look round a few 150 CDTi Vectras and Astra sporthatches but for the age and sec I want I'm going to be looking at £12-13k and with Vauxhall offering pennies for my Vec as a P/X I'd have to hand over a fair wedge to make any sort of finance payment manageable

With the Toyota Supra idea, I always fancied owning one, when you read up on just their standard specs I don't think there's any other car which offers quite as much "Bang for buck" one of my best mates owns one and everytime he brings it round it reminds me how much I love them, his is BPU'd (Basic Performance Upgraded) with an uprated side mount intercooler, airbox mods, performance panel filter, dumpvalve, full stainless exhaust, it recently made 370BHP on a local rolling road, I've been out in his on a few occasions and it's absolutely awesome, so comfortable and seems to drive like a normal car, the performance however, is blistering, it's very powerful but the delivery is very smooth, his currently boosting at 1.2bar,

I've been approached via pistonheads by a guy with a Supra TT for sale,

This one
    http://pistonheads.com/sales/283605.htm

Looks a stunning example and is fairly subtle as far as Supra's go, it would be exactly what I'd go for when shopping for a Supra, only light mods in both the styling and tuning department which would give me a chance to get used to the cars standard performance and drive. I've spoken to my mate with the Supra who has promptly checked the car out over Pistonheads and the mkivsupra.net owners club (of which I too am a member) and the guy seems to check out as a mature, genuine owner, the car is an Import which TBH doesn't bother me as I know pretty well how the whole process works, the only thing the car is lacking is a BIMTA mileage verification certificate, this would usually worry me but the car hasn't got anything to suggest it's done more miles than it's currently reading, the carpets, boot, exterior and ever the auto shifter haveno signs of wear and look very clean and well looked after, I've been in close contact via email with the guy over the past week or so discussing a possible deal, as I said he approached me, I've asked him plenty of questions about the cars history, who imported it and when, how many UK owners has it had, what's it's service history like etc etc, and he's been happy to answer all my questions, I then asked what sort of deal did he have in mind, he was looking for my car + a little cash his way, so I had a little discussion with my Supra mate and we came to what we thought was a fair compromise between what I could afford and what his Supra was worth which was my car + £500 cash,

He replied to say that he was hoping for more along the lines of my car + £750, he also sent me a picture of the cars boot fitted with a slimline Pioneer sub and enclosure, he said if I was interested in that, he'd let it go for a little extra, so once again I went to seek the advice of my mate who said "TBH, that could have been alot worse" I.E he was expecting this guy to be asking more, So I'm now about to reply negotiating something a little different, I have some upgrades that I never got round to fitting to the Vectra, I was going to ask if he would consider my original offer of my car + £500 + these extras in exchange for his Supra + the sub install etc.

TBH I'm still finding the whole idea slightly daunting (I don't know if that's the correct word) I've always had 5 door cars even though I'm only 23, I don't know why really that's just always how it's worked out, I just think this would be a fun car to own during the summer months, the idea of getting it now is that during the summer months the Supras prices tend to rise, being a sports coupe' and all, I keep worrying that I'm going to forget what I'm driving and end up wrapped round a tree or similar, my mate assures me that if I treat the car with respect and drive to suit the road conditions then there should be no reason I'd lose control over it than any other car, he said in Icy condition he'd chose not to use his at all if he was given the choice, he's had his 2-3 years now and has offered me full support with learning to service/maintain/tune it, he's even offered to come with me if me and this guy do come to an arrangement,

How does this idea sound?

Sorry for the long post, just wanting to bring everyone up to speed and save any questions,

Regards,

Kev

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Wow, driver focused dashboard!!!!

Now that is different......

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've not read every detail of the thread as there's a lot to read, but that Supra is 14 years old mate. Or put another way it's 9 years older than your car.
    IMO I couldn't bring myself to do it as it's too old, but I'm sure you could find an equally as powerful alternative, for example there's an 8 year old 300 bhp Evo 6 on Ebay for around £6k, or I'm sure there will be some mid aged Skyline's. The problem is that the Supra will be like a K or L reg.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : Z20NET

Year : 04

In their world the age really doesn't matter mate, they hold their value really well, the price is obviously based on age, mileage, condition & spec, most of the TT's fetching the better part of £10k depeding on mileage, spec, if said car has the right mods they seem to fetch even more, I don't know of any Vectra that will be worth that sort of money as a 13 year old + with regard to an Evo, for some reason it would cost me twice as much to insure a Scooby or Evo over a Supra!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I totally agree with the age vs value thing as most mainstream cars depreciate rapidly and it's what keeps me in a 3-5 year old car quite cheaply as I also use mine for business miles.

In fact even the Impreza's suffer from the same depreciation, although one the reasons why the Supra/skyline/Evo cost more used will be due to the higher prices when new plus the fact that they are more desirable.

I'm confused over the insurance hike over the Supra though, unless it's the Ford Cosworth all over again ???

Thread Information